B-17 crash this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 65cuda
I think they said that the fire depeartment had a hard time getting to the plane because the fields were so wet. The main thing is that everybody got out OK though.
Yup. We got hammered with rain last week, Wednesday into Thursday alone I think the area got over 3" of rain within 24 hours (that's how I found out I apparently have some roof leaks, thanks Ma Nature...).

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: eljefino
^
32.gif
I hear "tail gunner" was not the place to be in those things.

The move Memphis Bell had the ball turret gunner as the place not to be!

http://www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/gunner/gunner.html

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Glad no one was hurt. It saddens me to see one of these crash and burn like this. My Dad was a B-17 pilot during WWII.
My Dads cousin was a tail gunner is a B24 and got shot down and ended up in a pow camp . Those guys had Grande huveos to say the least.

I believe they used DC3 engines in the Liberty Bell. Because parts are available!

A 90 year old gentleman was their to regale us with stories. What a character! [Actually, he was a tail gunner in a B24.]

He mentioned how he refused to follow procedure in a few things.
Like rigging the toilet to dump so he wouldn't get sloshed with your-in on take off. He caught on quick about that one!
And NOT lowering the sliding door before take off. He was more concerned with being able to get out in an emergency!
Tough old bird!

All the crew and support were from the South. Very considerate and polite. Real gentlemen. No attitude.

Last edited:
I watched the video to make sure it wasn't the B17 I got to ride in in 07 in Dallas. It was a great experience but you have to realize that there is an element of danger in flying in a plane built in 1945. No parachutes either. I still would do it again if I had the chance. Mine was the 909, owned by the Collings Foundation.

I enjoyed the Blue Angels with a close flyover directly over my house. The nice thing about them being military is it happened at nearly exact same time Fri(practice run), Sat, Sun. Also seeing a Mig (17?) for the first time in flight behind my house was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back