Axios- Used car market gets even more bizarre

The latest: The industry’s key index of used vehicle prices jumped another 9.2% over the span of just a month. That puts the index 38% higher than a year ago — compared to “just” 27% for the same stat in September.

Maybe BITOG members sold their vehicles to Carvana, CarMax, Vroom to soon......????

Unbelievable, what does the "market" know that I obviously don't know. Maybe inflation is coming big and hard and everything is going to rise in price.

There is no too soon if you don't have the space to keep it. If they are buying another vehicle and need it gone, waiting to buy is going to increase in that cost too, so it is a wash.

Now if you have a hoarding problem then the increase in price will make you feel a little better...

only if one can wait for, lets say 2 more years before the market correct itself or to get rid off extra car its a possibly winning situation; however, if you sell today then again buy tomorrow it is most likely a losing proposition

meanwhile, Tesla continues to increase the threshold on their cars

I can trade in my wife's Santa Fe XL for $24,000.00 And buy a NEW replacement vehicle for $37,000 (MSRP) plus fees. SO $16,000 grand for a new vehicle. It's very tempting.

The latest: The industry’s key index of used vehicle prices jumped another 9.2% over the span of just a month. That puts the index 38% higher than a year ago — compared to “just” 27% for the same stat in September.

Maybe BITOG members sold their vehicles to Carvana, CarMax, Vroom to soon......????

Unbelievable, what does the "market" know that I obviously don't know. Maybe inflation is coming big and hard and everything is going to rise in price.

Friend of mine leased a nice Colorado about 1.5 years ago. At return, his payoff is set at $19k. They keep calling him trying to get him to bring it back. But they don't offer him anything in return. He will be crazy if he doesn't buy it.

I can trade in my wife's Santa Fe XL for $24,000.00 And buy a NEW replacement vehicle for $37,000 (MSRP) plus fees. SO $16,000 grand for a new vehicle. It's very tempting.
You sound like you sell cars for a living... Our salesman was calling us about getting our Outback but wouldn't give me numbers on the phone of course... I see online my car retails for ~$25k but its $33.5k+tax for the new version. I assume the most they would give us is $23k for our car, so it would cost a minimum of $11-12k for 3.5 years of ownership.

Not terrible costs per year of ownership but more than I like. You should run the numbers per year or mile on your car and see if its a good deal or not.

In our case, nothing significant has changed for us to need the new version so I think we'll keep going with what we've got. We've paid it off a while ago and now its time to run it for the cheap years, just doing maintenance and no significant repairs until its 10+ year old, hopefully.

You sound like you sell cars for a living... Our salesman was calling us about getting our Outback but wouldn't give me numbers on the phone of course... I see online my car retails for ~$25k but its $33.5k+tax for the new version. I assume the most they would give us is $23k for our car, so it would cost a minimum of $11-12k for 3.5 years of ownership.

Not terrible costs per year of ownership but more than I like. You should run the numbers per year or mile on your car and see if its a good deal or not.

In our case, nothing significant has changed for us to need the new version so I think we'll keep going with what we've got. We've paid it off a while ago and now its time to run it for the cheap years, just doing maintenance and no significant repairs until its 10+ year old, hopefully.
I don't sell cars-but getting in to a new vehicle for $12,000.00 is something I would probably do-assuming you have some disposable income.

Found my 2019 Golf Alltrack for sale now for $34,700. I got it for $23650 in may 2020, then flipped it for $29k, now its being flipped again. So funny. I had an offer from Vroom for only 25k but now its $34,700 and only if you finance with strong VW otherwise price goes up another $900. This is not the onion.

• Wow
Reactions: GON
We only got a 2.1% raise last year, and this week we are losing another 2 coworkers.
one of the main reason for the great resignation currently is one that companies make more accommodations to new employees vs old ones, not great practice right now

we get raises about 5% on average i'd say

Needed to get an alignment at the local Firestone. They were booked a week out. When did those places starting get so busy?!?!
The mom/pop shop a mile from my house is down to one mechanic. The owner! You have to leave him a message for an appointment. He's not even calling people back at times. He didn't call me back in Sept/Oct.

The tire/repair shop I normally go to is about 7 miles away. Their lead tech retired a month or two ago. They're 2 weeks out for appointments. The owner's wife answers the phones there. She said people are wanting big jobs done and they are short on techs to do all these jobs.

Replacement vehicle pricing is just plane scaring the heck out of me these days. Hope is a schidt strategy, but I sure hope they come back down to a more reasonable range in the not so distant future.

Found a “deal” for anyone in Omaha area:
Only $70k for a $44k or so carnival.

Attachments

• F6F7C8A6-9D61-45F4-A299-DD5AD1D54047.jpeg
    F6F7C8A6-9D61-45F4-A299-DD5AD1D54047.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Wow
Reactions: JTK
I don't sell cars-but getting in to a new vehicle for $12,000.00 is something I would probably do-assuming you have some disposable income.
Well it would still be costing us $3-4k per year for a car. Not terribly expensive but still more per year than keeping it for a longer run. It's no different financially than buying a $12k car and giving it away at the end of 4 years.

Needed to get an alignment at the local Firestone. They were booked a week out. When did those places starting get so busy?!?!
Ohhh they are SLAMMED.

If you don't or can't do your own work, it is best to have a relationship with someone local that will take care of you.

What trim on that CR-? i mean if you check every box on a Touring 2021 you can get to nearly $40k new. If that's just an EX, somebody paid a lot.

What trim on that CR-? i mean if you check every box on a Touring 2021 you can get to nearly $40k new. If that's just an EX, somebody paid a lot.
Yes, looking back over the paperwork it is a touring model with 4wheel drive; yet it’s coming from VA, and the guy who bought it he is 44

Looking back to 2016 when we bought our 16’ CRV exl, the touring models you could get them out for about $33-35k OTD price new

Although the top case does not present an extreme pricing in current markets yet it gives you a glimpse of how it’s out there, it gives you an idea if one is in the market of buying a car, to sit right there where you’re at, at the moment 😄

Last edited:
Back