axial lawn blower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
wow. What is this and is it a real improvement?

http://www.troybilt.com/equipment/troybi...CFbPm7AodYi0A8g

I would say anything Troy-bilt/MTD does is not a real improvement. Yes the CFM numbers appear to be impressive for a handheld, but at the end of the day your still looking a lower end handheld, with a MTD engine. Also, for some reason it looks like if you drop it once, its done. Will it for a couple years, sure. Will it work a couple years after that, who knows?

Interesting idea. We'll see if it catches on. My Echo blower works every time, and starts like a champ. I agree that I wouldn't buy an MTD due to the engine and low quality appurtenances (throttle control, carburetor, thin plastic shrouds, etc), but perhaps the different air accelerator mechanism has some merit.

What is this? Venturi effect applied to product that will break within the warranty period. (Warranty excludes Starter Pulley, Starter Ropes.)

I have a small one for my air hose. Makes a lot of noise, but does move more air. They probably use it so a smaller engine can do the same amount of work.

Thanks guys. I am seldom one to buy anything when it first comes out, but when I saw it it seemed like a genuine attempt to do it better.

I think Spackard hit the nail on the head. Flashy looks and cost savings for them...

Pass. Anything MTD is homeowner junk with a 18 month life span. Buy a real Stihl, Echo, Husqvarna, Tanaka, or Shindaiwa blower and it will last a home owner 10-15 years.

I have the hitachi, snagged it on a sears deal for 89$ last year.
(retail 179$)

only 2 problems I'm a righty and the intake is on the left side.. its better used as a lefty, and no "cruise control trigger lock"

both are minor its the best hand held I've ever used, to get better would have to go backpack or spend 200$

I tilt it primer it 4x and it starts first pull every time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Also, that blower is $149. You can get a prosumer/semi commercial rated blower for cheaper than that.

Both of the units below are the same exact unit besides color and are 200% better than any Craftsman or Troybilt unit. They also have a 7 year warranty. Just buy the one with the better dealer network in your area in case service is needed.

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-RB24EAP-Po...mmercial+blower

http://www.amazon.com/Tanaka-TRB24EAP-Po...s=tanaka+blower

I had the model that Tanaka built prior to these. I bought it in 1988, and it finally [censored] out this summer.

I may still try to get it running again. Not ready to toss it out quite yet.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

I had the model that Tanaka built prior to these. I bought it in 1988, and it finally [censored] out this summer.

I may still try to get it running again. Not ready to toss it out quite yet.

A lot of Americans have never heard of Tanaka which is unfortunate. That brand is TOUGH as nails and just works. Lot's of pro's run Tanaka over Echo and Stihl.

As a general rule, axial flow compressors (blowers) are less effective "per stage" (lower pressure rise) than a centrifugal compressor.

Also, It's exceedingly difficult to make a single stage axial or mixed flow compressor with good efficiency numbers. When done properly, they are more efficient. However, the chances they "got it right" are slim to none.

Contrast that with a centrifugal compressor, single stage. The efficiency is always known to be good, almost regardless of design. And the pressure rise is considerably greater, per stage.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
That's not axial flow compressor, it's centrifugal. The overall flow is axial.

Sure looks like a classic "mixed flow" compressor to me.

So I guess we're both right!

I've not seen a "mixed flow" compressor before. In my mind axial compressor's flow is parallel to the gas path and centrifugal changes direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back