Avoid State Farm!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Do not read the facebook comments attached to the story!

I don't see any comments. Possibly ABP in my browser has blocked them out.

A few posters were blaming the road for the accident.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Do not read the facebook comments attached to the story!

Good thing I am not a Facebook participant. Waste of time. I don't give a fish about what anyone else thinks.

I can't even count the number of times I was driving home at 3:00 from various places when I was a college student. I saw many on the road that I knew were drunk, but I never encountered a wrong-way driver. The wrong-way driver, in this case, had a daughter a bit younger than mine from a second marriage. A44hole.

Don't worry it was nothing personal against anyone just blaming the road for the accident. B.A.C. did not even factor into the thought process. An Example.

"Apparently there is something confusing people entering that section of Hwy 290 traveling East. Dark entrances or confusing signs often befuddle people when they are tired or not paying full attention to where they are going. It should be investigated."

"Ya think? I say the whole entire sign system in Houston is confusing...maybe it would help to put the signs in Spanish? Who knows...but ya cant fix stupid..people do not read..they assume and that is bad for everyone."

Then

"Thank God the college students are going to ok and for once the person who caused the accident died instead of killing other innocent people!"

The response "their all innocent, I agree with _____ there needs to be an investigation something is not clear on that long stretch of highway no one deserves to die like that accidents happen the question in this case is why"

Fontana's brother blamed the road as well. He said that a number of people ended up on that stretch of highway going the wrong way - even sober. I suppose that's possible. If you look at the map, the service road is two-way prior to the exit ramp that could be mistaken for an entrance ramp. This is where the drunkenness takes over. The highway is four lanes, divided by a concrete wall.

I did learn something useful from all of this. The majority of wrong-way crashes in the U.S. are on similar highways (multi-lane, divided). They most frequently happen in the left lane or left shoulder, which is where this one happened. So, here is my procedure if this happens - teach your kids! If you seen a WW driver approaching, first, turn off your headlights. They are either suicidal (yes, it happens) or your lights will blind them because they are wasted. Then, go for the RIGHT shoulder, or grass, or ditch. Since they don't realize they are going the wrong way they will tend to swerve to their right. While my daughter's friend was not drunk, I am sure she was tired. The way the two cars collided, I think if she had swerved to the right instead of the left they might have avoided the collision. Of course, hindsight is 20/20.

Wow. I have a ten year old daughter and this is making me think a lot when her time behind the wheel comes..... Glad to hear your daughter is going to be OK. I can just imagine the range of emotions you went through. Interesting take on the WW analysis and makes total sense to me. Naturally, if the driver thinks they are not going the wrong way, they'd have a tendency to veer to the right. Something I'll definently teach her when she gets to that point in her life.

The weird thing about the insurance came into play when my lawyer asked me to contact my own insurance company to ask about filing on my UIM/PIP. My daughter is on my ex-wife's policy. My ex decided that this coverage was "too expensive" for her to carry. My carrier actually asked me some questions to verify the relationship, such as stating that I provided my daughter's financial support while she was at college. Once they are satisfied that all the involved parties' policies have been exhausted, they will pay. I would have never thought of doing that without the advice of the attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back