Availability of 0W-40 dexos II

My wife's 2020 Camaro SS 6.2L says it needs an oil change at 3400 miles on the car after coming out of storage a week ago. 1st oil change. OK I go to the dealer and pick up a couple PF64's $5.00 each not bad. I thought I'd pick up the oil at NAPA, Advance, Walmart, etc... OM says preferred oil is 0W-40 Dexos II. Research tells me Mobil 1 seems to be the most available out there.

Do you think I could find this stuff out there? Or any other 0W-40 that meets Dexos II?
This is for a Chevrolet, not a Ferrari. Most everybody had the M1 0W-40 Euro Car formula, but not Dexos II.
Nope!

So I end up calling the dealer back to see if they have any they could sell, They fixed me up with 10 Quarts of M1 0W-40 Dexos II for $9.00 a quart, which again based on my research doesn't seem too bad.

Got the oil change done and rotated the tires, with no issues and the Mrs. is happy.

Next time, I think I'll be planning ahead and getting the oil beforehand.

IMG_0092.JPG

Last edited:
Mobil1 ESP 0w-40 is the only 0w-40 Dexos2 oil according to the Dexos2 list, there's a Castrol 0w-40 product mentioned but it also has the same Dexos license number listed as a 0w-30 product and I can't seem to find any Dexos2 0w-30 or 0w-40 made by Castrol, at least here in the US market.

it does appear that finding Dexos 2 0W40 oil may be harder than I would have thought...I was also surprised to see that the manual allows use of 5W30 Dexos 1 Gen 2 "for street use" if you can't locate the Dexos 2...good luck

Bill

You can run 5W40 Dexos II, unless GM is dead set on 0W40 (possibly so owners do not "think" too much).
M1 0W40 ESP is rather unremarkable oil.

Most high performance engines of even the low end brands call for a fancy oil. GM is not alone here. FCA requires a very specific 0W-40 oil for their 6.4 and 6.1 HEMI engines as well.

Nice ride, BTW!
Ferrari still uses relatively old and pedestrian A3\B4 oil. SRT 0W40 = basically an A3\B4 oil, SOPUS made it so they could dump M1 0W40.

GM's DexosII flavor of low saps high hths oils is more modern than those two

Ferrari still uses relatively old and pedestrian A3\B4 oil. SRT 0W40 = basically an A3\B4 oil, SOPUS made it so they could dump M1 0W40.

GM's DexosII flavor of low saps high hths oils is more modern than those two
Ferrari uses Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40, which is as sophisticated as it gets today.
SRT 0W40 is not "basically" A3/B4. Just bcs. KV100 is in range of A3/B4 oils, that does not mean oil is "basically" A3/B4.
Your Low SAPS statement and HTHS do not make any sense.

Ferrari uses Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40, which is as sophisticated as it gets today.
43719b77-7e96-4d3a-979d-406eba632a21-jpeg.46553

oil formulated to meet 502\505, 229.5 and A40 = old. i don't care if it was formulated yesterday, most of the cars using this are decades old and the guidelines haven't changed much

SRT was made to get rid of M1 0W40 from their daimler era, M1 0W40 is the definition of an A3\B4 oil. roughly similar add pack similar kv100 there's nothing impressive about it

Last edited:
43719b77-7e96-4d3a-979d-406eba632a21-jpeg.46553

oil formulated to meet 502\505, 229.5 and A40 = old. i don't care if it was formulated yesterday, most of the cars using this are decades old and the guidelines haven't changed much

SRT was made to get rid of M1 0W40 from their daimler era, M1 0W40 is the definition of an A3\B4 oil. roughly similar add pack similar kv100 there's nothing impressive about it
You don’t care? You don’t know, would be more appropriate terminology.
LL01 approval was updated in 2018. Just bcs. it is LL01 and it was introduced in 2001, doesn’t mean BMW doesn’t do updates ( did 4 since 2001). MB did 2 updates of 229.5 since 2009 (interestingly, it has not been “decades” since 2009). Porsche A40 has been updated numerous times. All these approvals are as current as they can be.
And what to move M1 from Dimler era? What are you talking about? M1 definition of ACEA A3? And not Castrol Edge 0W30, probably most popular oil among Euro owners?
But, tell us here, as you argue here that apparently ferrari should care what you think, why exactly Pennzoil is not impressive or M1 0W40?

Last edited:
And what to move M1 from Dimler era? What are you talking about? M1 definition of ACEA A3? And not Castrol Edge 0W30, probably most popular oil among Euro owners?
But, tell us here, as you argue here that apparently ferrari should care what you think, why exactly Pennzoil is not impressive or M1 0W40?
During the daimlerchrysler era they used M1 0W40 for the SRT cars. FCA merger and contract terminated, SOPUS makes a new product to replace it...

a grand total of 5 people use edge 0w30 these days, you know it’s a mission in itself to find. in the states m1 0w40 has been the go-to A3 oil for a decade. when I think a3/b4 i see a silver jug of mobil juan

During the daimlerchrysler era they used M1 0W40 for the SRT cars. FCA merger and contract terminated, SOPUS makes a new product to replace it...

a grand total of 5 people use edge 0w30 these days, you know it’s a mission in itself to find. in the states m1 0w40 has been the go-to A3 oil for a decade. when I think a3/b4 i see a silver jug of mobil juan
Castrol 0W30 hard to find? It is available in every AAP at $33+filter for 5qt. Castrol 0W40 has actually more volume sale in Wal Mart than M1. SOPUS doesn’t need SRT 0W40. SOPUS has two 0W40 oils. They could use A3 0W40 oil if goal was just to push M1 out. There is no pushing here. Companies do supplier changes all the time. Daimler is not anymore using M1 but Petronas. BMW used Castrol, then SOPUS and now might go back to Castrol, who knows.
SRT oil might be developed bcs. certain issues/needs around that engine. All of these oils are at cutting edge of technology. There is no way average oil is going to be approved for BMW LL01 considering ridiculous oxidation requirements introduced in 2018. They are cutting edge for given application, engines requiring High-SAPS oils.

That is a really nice car, just run the recommended oil. If you have to worry about the cost of the oil change you shouldn't have the car [ I sound exactly like my Dad.]

beats me but dear lord that is a clean garage. is this real? my shop has tools and oil spills all over the floor, mouse traps everywhere, a dead body in one corner ...

My wife's 2020 Camaro SS 6.2L says it needs an oil change at 3400 miles on the car after coming out of storage a week ago. 1st oil change. OK I go to the dealer and pick up a couple PF64's $5.00 each not bad. I thought I'd pick up the oil at NAPA, Advance, Walmart, etc... OM says preferred oil is 0W-40 Dexos II. Research tells me Mobil 1 seems to be the most available out there.

Do you think I could find this stuff out there? Or any other 0W-40 that meets Dexos II?
This is for a Chevrolet, not a Ferrari. Most everybody had the M1 0W-40 Euro Car formula, but not Dexos II.
Nope!

So I end up calling the dealer back to see if they have any they could sell, They fixed me up with 10 Quarts of M1 0W-40 Dexos II for $9.00 a quart, which again based on my research doesn't seem too bad.

Got the oil change done and rotated the tires, with no issues and the Mrs. is happy.

Next time, I think I'll be planning ahead and getting the oil beforehand.

View attachment 49141
Nice garage … pretty good car too 😷

Late to the party here. Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 isn’t really that much more special when compared to their counterparts from Mobil or Castrol. They are all great oil and the decision to use one over another is highly subjective. As to why Ferrari uses Pennzoil here in the States, that’s only because Ferrari SpA has a long history of using whatever oil their F1 team is associated with at the moment. Currently, that company is Shell, which is the mother company of both Pennzoil and Quaker State. Before Shell decided to market Pennzoil, they were marketing Quaker State as the oil of choice for Ferrari back in 2007. Personally, I prefer Mobil 1 and have been using them in all our vehicles, including my Ferrari since the early 2000’s when M1 0W-40 came out. Before that, it was Agip, simply because that’s the company that the F1 team was associated with back in the days.

Attachments

• 7D7A1E08-3FE1-4A7B-BDA1-7CF1CB9F4074.jpeg
    7D7A1E08-3FE1-4A7B-BDA1-7CF1CB9F4074.jpeg
    24.5 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: 4WD
Back