Aux. Spin on Transmission Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking good. I just used a standard permacool unit which utilizies a standard engine Oil filter. I used fancy Pushlok hose, no need for any hose clamps
smile.gif

I do have a question. Im not up to speed on the dynamics of oil filters, so spare me. I am using a Purolator PL30001 filter on my remote mount trans filter. As I recall the operating range for the cooler lines on a 4L60E is 17-20psi. Is there any reason I shouldn't use this filter for my application?

Im just using the perma cool 1791 Remote filter adapter.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about buying the northern tool head (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_12006_12006). Can I replace the filter element with standard oil filter, or do I have to order their filter if I need to change it?

Also, does anyone know of any complications of installing this setup on a 1993 Nissan Sentra?

Sorry if this has already been answered, but I didn't see it while skimming the thread.

Flow is also important. If the hydraulic mount or filter doesn't have a bypass, you could risk some fluid starvation harm.
Filter failure, ATF contamination, transmission failure, and winter, are reasons why filtration bypasses are necessary.

Motor oil filters do a pretty good job can be purchased anywhere cheaply for the mileage or time based interval. They make a very simple choice for pretty good filtration.

My recommendation is just to use a regular remote oil filter mount with any of one the 3/4" filters that can fit it. Stick with a quality brand filter(Amsoil, FramX2, Pureone, Nagagold...) for better filtration without worrying about flow lost. These oil filters haven't had any problem with the 80-100PSI engine oil pressure that I've thrown at them along. They should have no problem with any typical passenger vehicle ATF filtration.

Quote:

why in the world would you want to use a standard filter? The hydraulic filter filter better

If I can trust my engine with a standard filter, why not my transmission? Also, if anything goes wrong, I can just stop at the parts store and pick up a new filter, rather than ordering one and waiting for it to get here.

Is there a Purolator filter that will fit on that mount? And will its bypass valve protect my transmission from fluid starvation?

With the 3/4 16 filters you can go ahead and find the best one for you. I have used so far Pureone PL30001, Wix 51515 and Baldwin B2 on my tranny. I have had the best (smoothest) shifts and performance with the PureOne and its synthetic media. The Baldwin B2 caused shifting to lag just a little, but still performed Ok followed by the noticeably lower shift performance from the Wix. The Wix I used was the 51515 which flows 7-9gpm and I think that's what my issue was. The Wix 51515R is a 28 GPM filter, but I didn't use that one.
Filter prices are economical enough I think for you to go ahead and experiment and find the best filter for your vehicle, without wasting too much money.

I agree if you want better filtration for your transmission, go to a hydraulic filter or a TP bypass filter.

Last edited:
Everything about the mount is steel. The brackets, the frame it is attached to, bolts, etc. Polyurethane is the type of glue used.

I can leave the mount on but space is tight. I'll be using a strap filter wrench to take it on and off.

This mount uses 1" x 12 threads so it is different than standard oil filter threads.

I'm not worried about flow. These filters are rated for 20GPM of a thicker fluid. Trannies are no where near this amount of GPM. And this head does have a built in by-pass valve. The flow chart for the 3 micron that I am going to use shows ~2psi drop for 10GPM. That's nothing, and you can't get close to that level of filtration with engine filters. Oil is Amsoil so I'm not too worried about cold performance.

If I had a 3/4" mount, I would run an Eao 15 or 26.

Not a whole lot of difference between going one way or the other. If you've already got a Permacool mount ..use it. They work fine. The Northerntool mounts come with a filter for the cost of the Permacool mount ..and shipping is less than Jeg's or Summit's "handling charge".

The northern tool mounts have a bypass valve.

Hydraulic filters are available in finer um ratings than most engine filters. If you're getting a finer 3/4-16 filter, you're probably paying more than you will for a common hydraulic filter.

The important thing is to install the aux filtration. How you get there is secondary. I have plenty of both types of mounts ..and a few others too.
smile.gif

Well, if the nothern tools one has a bypass valve in the head, I think I'll go ahead and use it. 13 bucks is just too good to pass up.

Quote:

Everything about the mount is steel. The brackets, the frame it is attached to, bolts, etc. Polyurethane is the type of glue used.

I can leave the mount on but space is tight. I'll be using a strap filter wrench to take it on and off.

This mount uses 1" x 12 threads so it is different than standard oil filter threads.

I'm not worried about flow. These filters are rated for 20GPM of a thicker fluid. Trannies are no where near this amount of GPM. And this head does have a built in by-pass valve. The flow chart for the 3 micron that I am going to use shows ~2psi drop for 10GPM. That's nothing, and you can't get close to that level of filtration with engine filters. Oil is Amsoil so I'm not too worried about cold performance.

If I had a 3/4" mount, I would run an Eao 15 or 26.

I was discussing on another post the Amsoil BP{80}A filter head, and someone said the EAO-80 will fit this filter head. I truly believe this is the way to filter transmission ATF with a spin-on. The EAO is rated for 25K so it would be a good OCI..Have not tried it yet...but want to
fruit.gif

The BP80a and all other Amsoil bypass mounts are the same as the Cummins ff thread ..or 1-16. The EaO80 is that thread.

Just remember to remove the brass nugget restrictor in the threaded center if you're using it this way.

Although empirical data suggests that this won't be needed, there is no bypass valve on the EaO80.

Quote:

The BP80a and all other Amsoil bypass mounts are the same as the Cummins ff thread ..or 1-16. The EaO80 is that thread.

Just remember to remove the brass nugget restrictor in the threaded center if you're using it this way.

Although empirical data suggests that this won't be needed, there is no bypass valve on the EaO80.

Good information about removing the center restrictor...that would make a mess of the transmission.

And, is there any Eao fullflow filter with a bypass...that fits the BP-80A and other mounts with the 1-16 thread?

Thanks
cheers.gif

LCM

how do you folks do your restriction when you're plumbing a bypass filter that doesn't come with one?

I have a pneumatic-only motorguard that I've refit for POL work. so far my plan for restriction is tapping or brazing (or possibly just JB Weld) a plug into the back of a hose barb and drilling a 1/16" hole in it.

This will work, and shouldn't present problems. What do you guys do?

I don't see a problem with it. I'd probably go as small as I could on the drill size. Slower is better. Also make sure it's on the outlet so that any random large debris ..or long term build up blocks the restriction. I guess if there was enough meat in the thickness of the hose barb, you could tap it internally and thread in a hex plug, which can then be drilled however large or small as you please
dunno.gif

that's the plan, soon as I find a hose barb (well, actually, a 1/4NPT to 1/4JIC M/M that will accept a plug. May end up just using a largish allen grub screw so I canuse existing taps I already have and don't have to go beating the bushes for unobtainium.

Spent 3 hours in Northern Tool today with my 6 year old re-learning NPT/straight thread/JIC, etc terminology/fitments/availability of angles and adapters between any number of combinations thereof. I don't use hosework knowledge much at all so I have to re-teach myself every #@$%! time.

Having a 7 year old who's 1)rapidly becoming as much a gearhead as daddy and so looks at tool stores as toystores in which to ask me what everything does, and 2) reads EVERYthing in sight, and well, and 3) is, well, 7, does not make this easier.

MOST embarassing when some anonymous jailbait teenager with the typical thong hanging out and "hot #@$%!" across her jeans' bottom does NOT help at all. #@$%! are parents doing these days to let their children wear such things? I would beat me daughter if she were to wear such things in private let alone public.

Thankfully, don't have a daughter, and my son WILL be brought up a gentleman.

PS- I'm only just 36, myself. Pardon me, I have to go yell at some kids on my lawn now.....
laugh.gif

oh, BTW. As long as you want something other than AN/JIC -5, NT is the place to buy. I brought home a dozen fittings, bought my son and I two bottles of gatorade and a bag of jerky for a snack since we were going to have a late lunch, and got change back from a $20. *1* 3/4-1/2 bushing was going to cost me $5 at Lowes, and they still didn't have everything i needed, nor would they let me occupy half an aisle with #@$%! spread everywhere as my son and I played erector set with fittings. Thanks for reminding me of the availabilty of hydraulic fittings @ NT. More beer I owe ya sir....
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back