Autozone droids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Argh. Not a good day with the Autozone droids. During a 19 degree day this week, the Honda seemed to be cranking mighty slow. Since it warmed up yesterday and today was sunny, I took it over to have them do a battery test. Okay, he puts the tester on, and says "Battery's shot.". Not a huge surprise there, although I would have thought 4 years was a little young, even though it's some off-brand Japanese battery.

He has me start the car while the tester is connected, and says "Whoa! Your starter is pulling 270 amps, that's way too high. That's what probably killed your battery.". Uh huh, right, my 4 year old starter is also kaput? It gets better, then he says "My tester is saying your alternator has bad diodes in it. I've never seen all three bad on a car, what do you want to replace first?". I asked if his tester accounted for the fact that Honda's alternator isn't continuously variable, but switches between high output and low output depending on load. No answer. He ran the test again, and it still failed. So, I said I'll see what I can find out first.

Get home, and renew my Helm subscription, and find out there's a TSB from Honda saying that the alternator tests the part stores do often report false failures. No kidding!! Then I look up alternator and starter diagnosis, and find out Honda deems a starter that takes 380 amps or less as good. Gee, and my starter was bad because it's pulling 270? What hat did he pull that number from? I didn't have Honda's official load tester for checking the alternator, but figured if I turn everything on and the voltage is still within the good range (13.5 to 15.1 at 3000 RPM), then it's probably OK. Sure enough, after turning on headlights, foglights, air conditioning, rear defroster, radio, wipers, and plugging in my camper's running lights, it's still holding 14.2 volts, even at idle. Battery shows it's drooping to about 11.5 with just the headlights on with the ignition off, so I'm thinking the battery really is kaput.

I go back to store, and calmly state that I'll just replace the battery, to which the guy asks what I'm going to do about the alternator and starter, and I state that according to Honda, the alternator and starter are fine. Well, he was none to pleased with that, but pulls up the battery list. Rings up the battery, knocks off the core charge since I brought tools to change it in their parking lot, and I walk out with the new battery. Just about to drop the new one in, and realize there's something seriously wrong. It calls for a group 51R, and he grabbed the group 51, with the terminals mixed up. Drat! No, the cables don't have enough give to put the battery in backwards, so back into the store.

The guy who sold me the battery had disappeared, but I showed on the receipt that he sold me the right one, but grabbed the wrong one. Should be simple, just put this group 51 back, and grab the 51R, right? Heck no. The poor lads had to do an exchange, insisting their inventory will be screwed up if they don't do it that way. I point out their inventory IS screwed up already, and this way it will make it correct. Oh no, we can't do that when $100 batteries are on the line. Ok fine, we'll do it the hard way. What should have been 5 seconds took 5 minutes instead, and they still had to scratch their heads why the group 51R inventory showed one less than what they had .

So, don't trust them to tell you your alternator and starter are bad, and pay very close attention to the battery before you connect it. I'm thinking a strongly worded letter to Autozone might be in order. I shudder to think, what if I had been some automotive neophyte who wouldn't know any better?

Interesting story. I didn't know the deal about the alternator, so thanks for sharing that. My '08 CR-V also needed a battery this year. Modern Hondas seem hard on batteries for some reason.

I had a battery on my mom's car from PepBoys (Prostart Platinum) less than 2 years old go bad, the guy was very nice and charged the battery. The voltage was good (12.4V) but the CCA was only at 380, its rated for 500 CCA.

So I said the battery is bad, he said that even a brand new battery will not see the 500 CCA. I asked him to please 'charge' a brand new battery sitting on the shelf to prove my point. The new battery measured 520 CCA so I politely asked for a replacement battery cause 380 CCA is less than 80% of the 500 CCA rating. Sure you can charge a battery at max amperage for 30 minutes and have a good voltage reading but with such a low CCA it will leave you stranded a few days later. After haggling for 45 minutes I got my free replacement battery, but he was also insisting that this car has a bad alternator.

Interesting story. I got one.

Neighbor has newer 08-09 Accord, comes to the door a couple weeks ago, says her car needs to be jumped off, so I say ok. Drive over and the oem battery is dead, I think she left her lights on. Anyway after several tries and having her turn the wipers and the lights off, the car starts and runs fine. She then says she's on here way the local AZ, and I'm thinking your about to get ripped off for a new battery at the least. Try to explain don't let them sell you a battery, but all she cares about is making sure her car doesn't quit and will start next time.

I feel like just a cell water level check, distilled if needed, and a charge (I own two chargers) will get that battery up and running fine. But, she had her mind made up, while I don't know, I suspect that when they checked the battery it naturally tested low, easy battery sale. Oh well.

Not to indict AZ though, feel like most places would do the same/similar. Heck, I was angry when I found out Firestone charged my daughter to install a new battery (01 civic), which it needed. AAP, does it for free. Reading your post though, guess I should be glad they didn't try to sell her something more. It's all relative I guess. You're right though, the neophyte, unaware consumer can easily be taken for ride.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
That's why I go to Advance Auto.
+1, then I use a code and order online and pick up at store at a HUGE discount.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Interesting story. I didn't know the deal about the alternator, so thanks for sharing that. My '08 CR-V also needed a battery this year. Modern Hondas seem hard on batteries for some reason.

I had an 07 Civic that needed a new battery (dead cell) within 18 months.

I was always taught that before any electrical diagnosis is performed, a fully charged battery has to be confirmed. Testing any part of the electrical system with a partially charged battery usually yields bad data.

I had two other stores tell me my Duralast battery was bad, and that my variable alternator was fine. I go to exchange the still under warranty battery at AZ and the manager lady refuses, telling me it was my alternator. After some argueing, I chose to leave and come back the next morning when a differnet manager was in. I left the battery for them to charge and when I came back he said it was deffinately a bad battery, and had a new one waiting for me. since then, I have gone thru 3 duralast batteries in 4 years. after 8-12 months of use, they wont charge to over 12.2v. I dont use duralast batteries anymore.

I have complained numorous times to cooperate about this manager lady. Everytime I go into the store, she is outside chain smoking, while the other workers are inside griping about how little she does. there can be 12 people waiting at the parts counter and phone ringing off the hook, she will be outside doing nothing.

Last edited:
That's why I don't let part number finders diagnose problems on my car...
crazy.gif

Why in the world would you let an $8 an hour counter jockey touch your car?

Autozone is a great place to buy rags and maybe wax.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

I agree with this, I wouldn't trust that counter monkey to not damage something when trying to do the test on a part.

I do think you can buy parts there but YOU need to know EXACTLY what you need before asking for it.

I cannot complain about autozone at all, as at my work we use them for a bunch of stuff. They are real quick about getting us parts we need delivered within 30 min. Also the one delivery driver is my neighbor and is very intelligent on cars and knows a lot about parts. Doesnt hurt that she is attractive also.

just my two cents,

adam

p.s. the guys there often times give me my work discount and are very upfront and honest.

Our Honda's OEM battery lasted about 3 years. It seems to be a Honda thing.

I've never had an AZ employee that incompetent. The Advance Auto nearby has some competent folks on-staff, and are willing to help out.

Yeah, the Advance right across the street is good as well. Half of the staff at the Advance is either in the back room or out back near the unloading dock half the time I go there for something. The NAPA near my road is very well organized and two older gentlemen run it and they are very helpful.

adam

Few years ago I bought battery for my LS400, the size is 27F. I place online order for store pickup from a nearby Kragen. I came to the store with online order form and showed the clerk the battery size 27F, he got me the 27. I told him the posts are reversed and will not fit my car, he insisted that he got the correct battery that I ordered and it will fit my LS400. I pointed to him that the order was for 27F not 27. He went back to the back room and came out with the correct batter and said "I didn't know there is a 27F available !"

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Some of us counter jockeys only work there on the weekends for fun/discount on parts and have real jobs during the week. We're also just as know-it-all knowledgable as you DIYers who come in to the store, because we ARE also DIYers.

I would never rely on any retail outlet to diagnose anything. A battery test is about it, since you really can't screw that up.

I waited at an AA once for three hours for them to figure out that they couldn't align my BMW. That was AFTER I grilled them on the phone about whether they could do it or not (I walked them through the whole procedure - hanging weights and how to adjust the rear arms). He INSISTED they could do it, but turned out they couldn't.

I'm sure the employees are well-meaning, but sometimes I think they might be in over their heads.

Hello, Re AutoZone sourced battery for my sister's Jeep: S-L-O-W cranking, 11.4V static, 6.4V while cranking, 14.4V while idling. All this on month 35 of the 36 month "FREE REPLACEMENT" period. I verbally describe what I did once. Walk out with new battery. I love AutoZone (and their Johnson Controls batteries). I figure I got a weak one. Never had a problem before. My sister did have a bad alternator which I never heard about so maybe she hastened the death of her battery. Frankly, I'd expect the same service from any of these stores. I tend to get along with strangers. Maybe I approach them correctly? Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back