Autozone, Advance Auto, etc. Don't discounts/coupons apply to auto batteries any more?

5 years since last battery, so far so good, but decided to take a peek at current costs.
Ordered online for pickup last time. With coupon got 20% off and (and even a few more % with a credit-card offer) - closer to Walmart or Club price territory.
So head over to Autozone and AdvanceAuto websites (which are the only close stores), see an expected-before-discount high price for 36-month warranty "Gold" types.
Then did a total-price test by adding a battery (51R) and a 20% off coupon code to the cart.
And see that the discounts don't apply to auto batteries any more...

AdvanceAuto: This item is not eligible for further promotional discounts, coupons or special offers.
AutoZone: Excluded from discounts. and Promo codes cannot be applied to In-store pick up items.
Seemed the same for (not-around-here) OReilly and NAPA online for battery pickup orders.

The new normal? Or is April a bad month for auto battery discounts?

Yep, last two batteries I had to buy were least expensive from Batteries+Bulbs since neither AZ nor AAP allow their online coupon codes for batteries these days.
A pity, since these codes often brought great deals in years gone by.
Walmart wasn't cheaper for what I needed either.

5 years since last battery, so far so good, but decided to take a peek at current costs.
Ordered online for pickup last time. With coupon got 20% off and (and even a few more % with a credit-card offer) - closer to Walmart or Club price territory.
So head over to Autozone and AdvanceAuto websites (which are the only close stores), see an expected-before-discount high price for 36-month warranty "Gold" types.
Then did a total-price test by adding a battery (51R) and a 20% off coupon code to the cart.

AdvanceAuto: This item is not eligible for further promotional discounts, coupons or special offers.
AutoZone: Excluded from discounts. and Promo codes cannot be applied to In-store pick up items.
Seemed the same for (not-around-here) OReilly and NAPA online for battery pickup orders.

The 51R's are stupid priced too. After years of buying the top end batteries I tried the 3 month warranty Autozone Econocraft for both my Civics. They are both still going strong at two years with some brutally cold temps in the winter. I don't get the super high heat much though.

Wow thanks for the super-fast replies. Too bad about coupon codes. But not surprised.
Yes, I noticed B+B even has a 10% off coupon that works for batteries right now. Those are "Duracell" branded (may be EastPenn?).
Good to know about the "economy" model batteries. (Would be curious if they were manually charged occasionally, or on a maintainer.)

Wow thanks for the super-fast replies. Too bad about coupon codes. But not surprised.
Yes, I noticed B+B even has a 10% off coupon that works for batteries right now. Those are "Duracell" branded (may be EastPenn?).
Good to know about the "economy" model batteries. (Would be curious if they were manually charged occasionally, or on a maintainer.)
If you mean at home, then the answer is no. This winter the 98 Civic sat covered in snow for over 4 weeks, and when I finally dug it out it fired right up at 11* outside.

> NAPA presently has a code that works for batteries,
NAPA is not local for me, but that info surely could be useful to some here ... Seems I had only looked at the 36-month AAA branded 51R. Just took another look, and see that the 18- and 24- month NAPA branded are specifically tagged as "20% off eligible." Great eye.

> covered in snow for over 4 weeks...it fired right up at 11* outside.
Nice!

I've been in the store when customers called, the clerk has to answer, per script, "Advance Zone Auto Parts and batteries." High profit item.

> NAPA presently has a code that works for batteries,
NAPA is not local for me, but that info surely could be useful to some here ... Seems I had only looked at the 36-month AAA branded 51R. Just took another look, and see that the 18- and 24- month NAPA branded are specifically tagged as "20% off eligible." Great eye.

> covered in snow for over 4 weeks...it fired right up at 11* outside.
Nice!

What car is the 51R going into? FYI, some 4 cyl. Hondas can be upgraded to a larger, more powerful and cheaper Group 24F or 35 battery. Plenty of YouTube videos available to show the simple process to modify the battery tray on CRVs, Accords, Elements and Fits.

Sam’s Club & NAPA seem to have the best deals on batteries, along with some farm stores (Family Farm & Home for example). AZ & AAP sell grossly overpriced leaky Clarios junk anyway.

> What car is the 51R going into?
It'd be an '04 TSX. I had considered the tray/size upgrade back when it was a daily commuter car, but it's a small engine, and had found even the factory 410 CCA always cranked the K24A2 over well, even in winter, and one later 500 CCA kept working fine for some time with a presumably weak/dead cell (open circuit with a DMM was never over 11V).

> Sam’s Club & NAPA seem to have the best deals on batteries.
Noticed that NAPA now retails AAA branded batteries, as well. Sam's I recall sold the same Duracells as BatteriesPlus, but looking today they don't seem to allow ordering or even seeing "in club" inventory online (at least for not-logged-in non-members.)

It has been that was for awhile now...

NAPA presently has a code that works for batteries, buy online and pickup in store.

I've found that NAPA discounts can be hit or miss, and can't be relied upon until they're shown to be applied at checkout.

After contacting their website support to try to get an uncredited rewards purchase credited to my account, and getting nowhere, I don't put much faith in how they operate.

And while my local store is good about honoring the national flyers, the counter guys do grumble about that, and the orders they receive through the website.

I've found that NAPA discounts can be hit or miss, and can't be relied upon until they're shown to be applied at checkout.

After contacting their website support to try to get an uncredited rewards purchase credited to my account, and getting nowhere, I don't put much faith in how they operate.

And while my local store is good about honoring the national flyers, the counter guys do grumble about that, and the orders they receive through the website.
You are correct, but this present code on their website one worked for me and a 24F Legend battery. Most codes lately have not worked for batteries.

Most of the batteries at the NAPA were Clarios, rather than East Penn. Just a year ago, it was reversed.

The prices that advance Auto and AutoZone charge for batteries is larceny. In my opinion. My last few batteries I have purchased from Firestone have been very happy with the price and the quick service

Back