AutoRX Treatment - How it is going so far...and a question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little background:

I have a 1998 Chevrolet Blazer with the 4.3L V6 engine. The vehicle has just under 130k miles on it right now. About 1000-1500 miles ago, all of a sudden one day I started getting a loud lifter noise on startup when the engine was cold. Since I was close to my next scheduled oil change (I change it every 3k on my cars), I decided I would go ahead and change the oil. To my surprise, there was a TON of 'sludge' in the filter when I went to change the oil. This black goopy substance came out of the filter when I turned it over to drain on the top of my drain pan.

Fast-forward a little bit. I changed the oil and started reading about AutoRX and decided to order a couple of bottles. Because I was concerned that my NEW filter might have already been clogged, even though I was only about 300 miles into this oil change, I still took it off and put a brand new oil filter on when I put the AutoRX in the engine. This new filter was still VERY clean without any goop or anything. Looked like it came off a vehicle with 10k miles on it, not almost 130k.

After putting in the AutoRX, I noticed that a few mornings the engine was almost quiet, but other mornings the extremely noisy lifter noise would come back. A week or so ago, I took a trip to Austin and back (~230 miles in one day, all at high speed on the highway...anywhere from 80-95mph), then I did some towing while on the highway pulling a ~1500-1700lb trailer)... During this time, I put about 500-550 miles on it with the AutoRX in the engine. At this point, I started noticing that my loud lifter noise was starting to show up even on some warm starts and was getting MUCH worse on cold starts than it had before.

At this point, I got really concerned. I have no idea how this engine was maintained in the first 118k miles of its life, but I typically maintain my vehicles quite well. Last night after this noise got so bad I was about to take the truck to a shop to have the lifters replaced, I decided just for grins that I would go ahead and remove the filter and take a look at it. Keeping in mind that I had only gone about 550 miles, I pulled the filter off and turned it over on my drain pan to see a BUNCH of that black goop once again. It was just as much, if not more than what I saw when I changed the oil and filter at 3k miles on the last oil change. This morning I started up the Blazer to go to work and the lifter noise was still there, but went away quicker than it did yesterday morning. I'm thinking that my filter had gotten so clogged already after only 500 miles.

Most likely what I am going to do is change the filter again after another 500 miles and then change everything for the rinse phase 500 miles past that point. This engine was pretty badly gunked up and will definitely need a second, if not third treatment.

My question out of all of this is -- has anybody ever heard of a filter having that much goop in it after only 500 miles? When I say goop, it really had a thick consistency, not that thin flowing characteristic that oil normally has. The oil on the dipstick is a little dark, but not abnormally so, based on how much I think the engine is probably sludged up inside. Do you guys think that my noisy lifter will eventually quiet down if I keep up with this AutoRX treatment, rinse, etc, and do it a couple of times? Most people say that a lifter problem on the Vortec 4.3l V6 is very unusual.

Let me know what your thoughts are, guys. I know there are a lot of people on here that have a lot more knowledge and experience on this stuff than I do.

Thanks.

Ricky

You are not alone bud.

My wifey's Toyota Camry Vee6 had in excess of 180,000kms on the odo and the pickup screen is partially clogged. I'm now running AutoRx just to clean out the system in an gentle way so as to avoid stripping down the entire block ( I have the tools but too lazy to deal with it).

Your observation is indeed correct and normal given the kind of mileage it already has. You may have to do 2 or perhaps 3 AutoRx treatments in succession (with proper dino oil rinse in between) in order to rid of the sludge/carbon and deposits within.

Good luck. I'm also doing AutoRx on my B-6 block as we speak and so far my observation has been overwhelmingly positive on both cars...

Yes, there is a physical limit to how much one filter can contain. Others have had them fill up with the goop. These are engines that have serious sludge issues ...like scoop it out with a putty knife type sludge.

You may very well have to do a third Auto-Rx treatment...simply because you'll be swapping out the crankcase with new filters.

Plan on a few odd (and new) noises during the rinse phase. Somethings clean out faster than others. They all usually calm down by the time you're done.

Good luck ..and hit Wally World up for a decent supply of SuperTech filters in your size.
cheers.gif

RickyC my Mazda was the same using a PureONE filter for three RX cleaning cycles. I just changed the filter when the lifter noise became bad. Cut open your filter when you replace it, you'll be surprised what's in there IMO.

Man, I thought I was seeing things when I saw a blob of slime flop out of my drain plug. I guess not... I did a quick flush with diesel when that happened. All that involved was putting 4 litres of diesel in the empty sump before jumping up and down on the bumper.

Steve

Hey sprintman,

You said that your lifters were being noisy, too... Did the AutoRX ever finally cure your problem after those three treatments? I'm really hoping it helps with my issue.

I'm also noticing that my oil pressure is lower now than in the past, which means that things are flowing more easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back