AutoRx maintenance dose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why 3oz? Was this tested and proven to be the minimum amount that would provide any real benefit? Just curious if 2oz would do the same thing, or if 4oz would do an even better job.

Good question. Its based on a formula using ratios that the formulating chemists have come up with at Auto-RX. 3 oz is based on 5 qt capacity.

It was substantiated by ASTM bench testing at various treat rates when RX was being considered a alternative to some current oil adds to meet the new HDD and PCMO API specs.

I'll let Frank or others who are Chemists answer more specifically.

I am not specifically addressing the Auto-RX question - and Auto-RX is not an additive in the general sense of the word. Just making a general statement about oil chemistry.

What you find through testing or simulations is that additive treat rates are only effective under certain narrow ranges, too little and the add is not effective; too much and you get either additive interactions or the additive starts to show negative aggresiveness towards certain components.

So if a add or supplement works at a specified concentration or treatment rate, it makes no sense economically or chemically-wise to go beyond what is effective. More is not necessarily better.

Bottom line: additive or supplement chemistry is a balancing act in the extreme.

[ June 25, 2003, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Rick R,

Yes, I would run 4 oz. in the 6.5 qt. sump system as a maintenance dose. This concentration has proven to effective in stopping the a sludging situation from resuming once the motor has been cleaned.

So what would be the right balance for a car thata calls for 4qts. of oil? I went with 2.5oz.

[ July 04, 2003, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back