Does anyone low dose Redline SI-1 for maintenance?

Has anyone seen any REAL worth in low dosing Redline as a maintenance product to ward off deposits etc? Or would it be best used as a cleaner pre OCI and then just rely on top tier fuel to maintain?

I would guess there is no benefit to the product being so diluted as to be ineffective.

My F-Type Jag has a known issue with sticky injectors. Regular high dose use of quality injector cleaners does seem to help. The use of Chevron or other top tier fuel does not.

I don't know exactly how much secret sauce gets dumped into the Chevron tank, but it is likely to be a low concentration. And it clearly is not enough to prevent sticky injectors.

From a prev thread: Using the bottle gives 10X the Techron as is available at the pump.

There used to be a recommendation, but they don't have a maintenance dose on the label any more. They used to have lines on the label suggesting a 10 gallon treatment, but it looked like it actually divided the contents into 1/11th and not 1/10th.

At one time, my source had a bottle for less than $4. I have no idea how they sold it that cheap other than maybe they had a special deal with Red Line. It was a speed shop that sold a lot of Red Line.

I would guess there is no benefit to the product being so diluted as to be ineffective.

My F-Type Jag has a known issue with sticky injectors. Regular high dose use of quality injector cleaners does seem to help. The use of Chevron or other top tier fuel does not.

I don't know exactly how much secret sauce gets dumped into the Chevron tank, but it is likely to be a low concentration. And it clearly is not enough to prevent sticky injectors.

From a prev thread: Using the bottle gives 10X the Techron as is available at the pump.

I think the idea might be to at least boost the detergent additives to a higher level. Red Line used to sell their SI-2 additive meant for regular use, and claimed that it was equivalent to a BMW additive. They stated that a maintenance dose of SI-1 was (roughly) equivalent to using SI-2.

Chevron states that Techron Concentrate has a different formula that the additive in their pump fuel or their lower concentration additives (Pro-Gard).

There's a certain amount of variability if you're mixing and matching different detergent additives, although I suppose it's unlikely that they would be any worse because different additives are mixed. Theoretically they could be synergistic, but it's hard to tell. Costco likely has some generic EPA minimum concentration additive at the fuel depot, but then they supplement it with their "branded" additive at delivery. How they work together is probably not predictable, but combined I doubt it's worse than just having the minimum additive.

Our k24 Accord was stumbling a bit in cold weather recently at very light throttle, after the engine has warmed up. I’ll add a full bottle to a full tank this afternoon. It has worked in the past to clear up the ‘stumble’. I only use 1 bottle per year or so.

Yeah I was thinking a low dose would help the deposits from even forming... If you view the product and then go to the white papers, it lists the maintenance dose. I just didnt know if anyone here did it and saw actual performance gain from such dose...

Yeah I was thinking a low dose would help the deposits from even forming... If you view the product and then go to the white papers, it lists the maintenance dose. I just didnt know if anyone here did it and saw actual performance gain from such dose...

We don't really have any way of knowing other than the butt dyno and just getting an idea of how our engines are going. Who really takes this stuff apart and checks injectors and measures the weight of intake valves?

A lot of those older spec sheets might be for older versions. They don't actually make the ingredients. It's my understanding that not even Chevron makes PEA and they have to buy whatever they can from chemical companies like Huntsman or BASF (which also formulates automotive additives).

That being said, I can't see how a maintenance dose could be bad even if it's not as effective as we'd hope it might be.

I don’t know but my coworker puts a full bottle of that Redline SI-1 in his gas tank every time he gets gas. I bet that’s the cleanest Maxima engine in the Bay Area!

Chevron used to recommend against a dose of Techron Concentrate at every fill up. Said something about it depleting oil additives, and where they recommended before an oil change as the best time to do a treatment.

Chevron used to recommend against a dose of Techron Concentrate at every fill up. Said something about it depleting oil additives, and where they recommended before an oil change as the best time to do a treatment.
Not sure, I do know he also adds marvel mystery oil to the engine oil, so it’s probably diluted anyway.

And a new engine air filter at every oil change. I tried to explain to him that was pointless and that a slightly used filter might actually be better than a new one. That didn’t go anywhere.

People will spend their money on things we think make no sense - that I have learned the last few years. I don’t try to argue anymore unless it will harm someone directly.

Not sure, I do know he also adds marvel mystery oil to the engine oil, so it’s probably diluted anyway.

And a new engine air filter at every oil change. I tried to explain to him that was pointless and that a slightly used filter might actually be better than a new one. That didn’t go anywhere.

People will spend their money on things we think make no sense - that I have learned the last few years. I don’t try to argue anymore unless it will harm someone directly.

I've heard of oil change specials at shops in Manhattan or other downtown locations that were cheaper than parking. Imagine having the oil changed every day just to save on parking.

I don’t but use it every six months along with top tier in the Tacoma. The Pilot gets a bottle 60% and 20% OLM. My wife uses any fuel. The Pilot is DI.

Back