MMO or Red Line SI Maintenance Dose

Status
Not open for further replies.
My feeling on the fuel system is first use top tier fuel. According the extra cleaning properties in top tier fuel is sufficient in keeping the fuel system clean.

Is a maintenance dose necessary. Will this prevent clog injectors. Will the doses increase the life of the injectors. Also on lubricity in fuel is that necessary and what's the benefit. How does MMO & RL compare do they both do the same.

Also noted they are both different chemistry with UCL properties.

I do 2 fuel treatment yearly so cost wise I'm spending less versus maintenance doses. I seem to do ok.

Do you feel maintenance dose is the ideal way of keeping the fuel system in peak efficiency.

RL will clean up faster as MMO is designed for continuous use.

MMO will lube better as it has more oil and a lower concentration of cleaners.

If you want to do maintenance doses MMO is your ticket, if you want to only do the occasional fuel add, RL is the one.

I like the idea of keeping things lubed and cleaned all the time rather than letting crud build up and then relying on a cleaner to clean it up. Plus with maintenance doses, you are always lubricating your fuel pump, injectors, valves, and top cylinder ring - which you would not get with occasional cleaners.

RL is a cleaner with some UCL properties. MMO is a UCL with some cleaning properties. I would use a good FI cleaner like RL and follow up with MMO for the UCL properties. BTW both can be used together.

Sorry but I don't have too much faith in top tier gas. I've seen Shell get a fuel drop, the tanker pull away drive a few miles and drop gas in a no name station. I've seen the same for Sunoco as well. Many times in fact. Maybe in different parts of the USA top tier means something, IMO around here it doesn't.

In a nutshell I think a fuel system maint plan is a good idea. However many people will say their cars last a long time doing nothing other than oil changes and fill ups, which makes for some interesting discussion on this site. YMMV

Jax, looks like we were posting around the same time. Your opinion is very similar to mine.
thumbsup2.gif

RL Si-1 has been tested by companies like BMW for how well it cleans. Redline is also designed for continuous use hence the metered side of the bottle. RL is good for shock cleaning ie toss in the entire bottle if really dirty then use the dosing on the side for maintnence. I have not found anything that workd better because it is the most concentrated formula yu can by retail. All the other retail products only treat 12-24 gallons of fuel which is not much.

MMO is a top cylinder lube not an injector or combustion chamber cleaner. Now if you where suffering from lead build up then it might help but that is not an issue in automotive circles in the USA. MMO is not going to clean anything it is basicly Naptha a rather weak solvent ie lighter fluid.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
MMO is not going to clean anything it is basicly Naptha a rather weak solvent ie lighter fluid.

here we go again, every [censored] thread.
WRONG, already proven wrong, chemical analysis shows it is NOT Naptha
this c.r.a.p. gets old...
18.gif

can't you come up with a newer or better argument than that?

Fact is that MMO DOES NOT contain a PROVEN detergent for fuel systems like that of Gumout Regane, or Redline SL-1.

If it ain't got PEA detergent in it, it ain't worth squat.

PEA is the best gasoline additive detergent PERIOD. SAE tests prove it.

Originally Posted By: Vizzy
Fact is that MMO DOES NOT contain a PROVEN detergent for fuel systems like that of Gumout Regane, or Redline SL-1.

If it ain't got PEA detergent in it, it ain't worth squat.

PEA is the best gasoline additive detergent PERIOD. SAE tests prove it.

Like I said MMO is a UCL, with some cleaning abilities, "some" cleaning abilities. If you check with the Turtle wax people they will tell you if you want to clean injectors get a good FI cleaner like Red Line or Techron. Then after the injector cleaning use MMO as a UCL.

So if you are buying MMO to clean dirty injectors save your money and get a good FI cleaner. If you are looking for a good UCL and something to keep injectors clean and in good working order, grab some MMO. Then if you like once a year splurge and add FI cleaner.

Sure MMO cleans. Whether in the crankcase or fuel.
It's not perfect in this respect, but it cleans things.

Right now, I use decent fuel with MMO [or maybe 2 stroke oil here and there] in it all the time.
Once or twice a year, I use a strong cleaner in the gas tank.

I agree, your plan is solid, and my bet is you won't have any fuel system problems following it.

I'd only use Redline, and that is my plan. After seeing Dysons results on what is in MMO, I'd pass. You guys use whatever you want.

Originally Posted By: Lakersguy
Can you please post a link to the Dysons report on MMO?

I think you'd have to join Mr. Dyson's blog to read that report. HTH

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Lakersguy
Can you please post a link to the Dysons report on MMO?

I think you'd have to join Mr. Dyson's blog to read that report. HTH

I believe the cost is $29.00 a year to join the Blog.

Sorry, they are right, you do have to join (members have to sign an NDA). It's not the end of the world, because I know some like it. It's just a personal choice after seeing the ingredients.

Kinda like how some people eat McDonalds for lunch everyday, and I choose not too. Won't necessarily kill you, but there are better things for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back