AutoRx maintenance dose EVERY oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am confused too. I always thought that the 3oz maintenance dose was intended to "boost" the performance of a dino oil, so that it would help keep an engine clean. I did not know that the 3 oz dose was not recommended for dino.

Hope I have not hurt my seals by running 3 oz w/ dino for the past 2 intervals.
frown.gif

What truly intrigues me is that we have believed that those high mileage oils have esters and to a degree that we would have to call them a blend.
These are recommended for "high mileage" vehicles. Does a Group3 qualify as a "synthetic" in this context? or is it strictly PAO?

If what is being "implied" is true then these oils give an engine one last "booster" shot and then sayonara. It makes the engine seem to run better for a while then it's a fast downhill path.

There are two issues on this string being discussed I am going to do my best to answer one of them. Why Maintenance Amount of Auto-Rx after cleansing of engine that uses dino oil.Maintenance amount of Auto-Rx will keep gains that were measurable right after cleaning your engine if it had under 100,000 miles or over 100,000 miles.If you don't want to use maintenance amount of Auto-Rx than at 25,000 mile do another treatment. As it is time to clean your engine again. Auto-Rx keeps seals clean and in good shape with any oil.
Synthetic Oil or Semi Synthetic Oil should use maintenance amount of Auto-Rx with every oil change. As complex additive packages will compete for space on the engine metal and Auto-Rx will continue to keep metal clean so you get the oil lubrication in every nook and cranny of your engine and you get the friction reduction benefits that synthetic oil gives an engine.

Novadude, you are correct. The maintenance dose with dino will keep the motor clean after the initial cleaning is accomplished. Secondly, ARX can not hurt seals only help.

On another note, some folks have reported seal leaks when switching from dino to synthetics in higher mileage cars. My belief is that this phenomenon can be avoided by doing an ARX treatment in the dino followed by a dino rinse cycle before the change over. This is to ensure the rear and front main seals are in the best condition possible before the changeover. Synthetics seem to find weak seals. So why not put the seals in the best possible condition before switching to synthetics. Otherwise, you'll be switching back to dino and ARX to try and fix the problem. Fix the potential problem first.

To the best of my knowledge, Group III, is natural, only refined much further than group II.
When we talk about PAO, we are really talking about snythetically produced hydrocarbons. PAO does not readily accept additive packages, so normally some polyol esters are added, so that the desired additive packages can be supported.

Something tells me that Auto-RX natural esters does compete for "space" in the molecules of the seals and actually goes to modify it to a degree that when a synthetic ester comes along something good does not occur. That is why the continued use of Auto-rx is recommended.

This is strictly my hypothesis and no evidence or claimed knowledge to back it up.

OK, so if you are using dino, AutoRx WILL keep your engine cleaned if used in a 3oz dose at every oil change after the initial treatment. That is why the maintenance dose is recommended for dino oil, right? Good.. that is what I recall reading, and that is my reason for using 3 oz every oil change.

So just to clarify, If i use M1 from the very first oil change, I should still be be using auto-rx 3oz with every oil change?? That just added about $7.00 to every M1 oil change.

Ross - I contend NOT. That's my basic point. I'm not a genius. I have a BS in Chemistry, but I don't play a Tribologist on TV. I still will need the empirical proof or the spelled out chemical/surface reactions at the seals to say "....as a user of synthetic oil, my seals will leak sooner with synthetic oil, so I need AutoRx...."

Disclaimer: AutoRx is a GREAT product, I use it and I pitch it. It is good for cleaning, it is good for your seals. It certainly won't hurt to use it.

First off........HI
patriot.gif

I was wondering. Is it recommeded that someone
do a cleansing with Auto-Rx before making the
switch to synthetic. The vehicle I am making
the switch for has 12,800 miles. Is this a
recommeded course of action ?

Slade

quote:

Originally posted by Slade:
First off........HI
patriot.gif

I was wondering. Is it recommeded that someone
do a cleansing with Auto-Rx before making the
switch to synthetic. The vehicle I am making
the switch for has 12,800 miles. Is this a
recommeded course of action ?

Slade

Honestly, at that low of a mileage it's not totally necessary at all. It wouldn't hurt, but it's just that your engine shouldn't be anywhere near dirty with that low mileage (unless the car is five years old and you've done nothing but short trips)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back