AutoRx maintenance dose EVERY oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if there are any detrimental effects to running 3oz of Auto-Rx at every oil change. How about over a 100k mile period w/ 4k intervals?

Should one "take a break" every so often? I am wondering because I have read that dino chemistry will "harden" the seals after Rx has "made them pliable". Can running 3oz every oil change be harmful to seals?

Frank?

FWIW, I have been doing the 3oz dose on two cars for 2 intervals now. I did the initial treatment, followed by a "rinse" cycle w/ no Rx, them two intervals w/ 3ox in the dino oil.

"Chemistry" of Dino Oil is perfect for keeping seals hardened just enough to effect a leak proof seal (after cleaning with Auto-Rx has taken place
no need to add 3 ounces of Auto-Rx every oil change if using dino oil ) 3 ounces of Auto-Rx maintenance is for those who use synthetic or semi synthetic oil.

OK... that is good news. I thought that the 3oz was for ALL oils. So you do not recommend a 3oz dose on dino? Is there any maintenace plan for dino, or just wait and do another treatment at 25k miles from now?

"Users of "Dino Oil" can do one cleaning with Auto-Rx every 25,000 miles. This is based on you changing oil and filter on regular basis eg. every 3000 miles or so.

Seals should not be subjected to products that swells them trying to stop a leak.These chemistries weaken the seal material itself (this includes synthetic esters found in some oil's to help and "REDUCE SEAL LEAK"). I would always clean a seal to stop leak and that is for buna and silicone material. If seal is ripped or torn your going to have to replace it, as nothing will stop leak, good part is using Auto-Rx is it add's no other contaminants to your engine.

[ November 08, 2003, 08:09 AM: Message edited by: Frank ]

I am confused now.

If I use synthetic oil from the start and no auto-rx my seals will go south?

Or is it that once I use auto-rx and decide on synthetics afterwards, I must use auto-rx?

I'm confused as well. I thought you could use the 3oz dose with conventional oil as well. I'm glad I found this out now as I have switched back to conventional from synthetic.

wayne

Complex additive packages used in true synthetic oil and in semi-synthetic oil in high mileage engines increase seal wear. Maintenance amount of Auto-Rx in these type engines using this type oil
keep seals in good shape.

Frank, The synthetic oil issue is still hazy.

I think the dino oil aspect is clear.

However, based on what I understand now,you are implying that if I had used synthetic oil from when it was new and whether or not I used auto-rx when the engine had over 100,000 miles, that true synthetic oil would be bad for my seals?

In essence I infer that true synthetic oil is bad for my seals from the get go.period.

Is that right?

Frank I'm calling you out on this one.
mad.gif

People who use GOOD synthetic oil (Amsoil, Mobil1, Redline, Royal Purple, and many of the "Euro syns") do NOT need AutoRx maintenance dose to prevent "increased seal wear". I do think that AutoRX will help with leaky seals AFTER switching to synthetic, leaks that STARTED with dino oil and yes got worse with synthetic, due to the nature of synthetic oil not because of "increased seal wear".

If you have hard scientific, totally verifiable data that synthetic oil causes "increased seal wear", we would LOVE to see the data.

I like your product. It works. In fact, there may be reasons for maintenance doses of AutoRx, but seal integrity with synthetic oil is not one of them. I understand your need to sell your product for financial reasons. That's the system and more power to you and free enterprise.

However, I and many others have gone MANY MANY thousands, hundreds of thousands miles, with straight synthetic and no extra additives with no leaks. Sorry.
dunno.gif

Pablo read my post "high mileage engines" that
run synthetic or semi-synthetic. thats what i said
Seal material like buna rubber or silicone were
designed to work with regular oil and the compatibility of a simple additive package versus a complex additive package on these materials over high miles differ. Auto-Rx cleans and refurbishes these seal materials and we use non synthetic oil to seat them. Synthetic oil is great stuff and a big improvement over dino oil, however seal material adapts to complex additive packages but over time there is wear.Thats what I posted. Saying dino oil covered up oil leak and synthetic found is not my point of view on the subject.

Hmmm,

Please help me out here, I have a toyota v-6 engine that doesn't seem to have any issues. At 43k, I switched to Amsoil full synthetic 5-w30 as opposed to having the dealer changing it out with their oil du jour. Now since this is not a high mileage engine that is in good shape, I would like to perform an RX treatment cause these engines are "supposedly" more likely to sludge. Are you recommending that I add 3 ounces of rx with each oil change for the seals for my specific case?

m2pc - If your car is a known sludger, you can put the 3 oz. of AutoRx in to help prevent sludge, but with reasonable (under 10K) OCI's you shouldn't have issues with the 5W-30.

As for adding the AutoRx to prevent the seals from leaking, it just isn't necessary. It won't hurt anything AND to be gracious it may even help - but your seals will last just fine with just the oil alone.

See the distinction?

Look, I'm running auto-rx right now and I had planned to switch to GC next year. My engine has 180,000 miles. Had a diet of dino and paos and group3. In the last year, it has had dino.

Do you think I need to keep putting auto-rx in?

This is really confusing. I suspect that quite a few folks run auto-rx to clean seals in order to minimize the possibilities of a leak after switching.

Again I infer then that all those high mileage oils will cause increased seal wear?

Now that Frank has mentioned the syn seal degradation I have some info which I have been sitting on for a fair while now. As most of you know my oil nut mate Ron in Melbourne has a forklift service business. For over 5 years he has been seeing degraded (cracked/leaking) seals with engines that only have used syn but nobody would listen of course. It got too the point that whenever he came across a 'leaker' he would ask what type oil was used. We both now use RX maint dose for many reasons including keeping seals healthy with synthetic oils.

the guru - Frank is saying it's the additive package (carrier) that is the problem, not the base oil itself. Now as to which base oil is using the suspect add pack is anyone's guess at this point.

sprintman - interesting. Is Frank basing his comments from your input? What type of seals do these forklifts use? What oil? I believe they had leaks and they had synthetic, but what else was going on? Longer OCI's?

Cracked seals? Frank was talking about worn seals. I can believe that some synthetic oils may have more of a solvent effect on some polymers. But in my honest opinion I think synthetic oils help seals last longer.

Cangreyland - it is a bit confusing to me, and will remain so until we get the actual chemistry of what is in the synthetic oils that may cause this, what brands have this magic bad X chemistry, what exactly is in AutoRx that stops this deadly attack, etc., out in the open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back