AutoRX....? I don't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 VW Passat 2.0t fsi. At 120,000 I had the dreaded low oil pressure light,I immediately shut it down and had it towed home. Upon inspection I found quite a bit of sludge in oil pan and pick up screen was 90% clogged. So after scraping pan and brake cleaning the pick up tube I ordered what I've read is "the holy grail" of sludge solvents. After running recommended cycles, the oil that drained was dark but not as dark as expected. So after rinse cycle still not pulling out varnish and sludge from top end. So I started running Rotella T6 with rislone under 1500 mile intervals, surprisingly after the first change oil was pitch black. Upon the 3rd interval It was starting to clear up a little. 4th interval I noticed I had zero oil burning (was burning 1/2 a quart per 1500 miles), so I decided to pull valve cover and saw zero varnish, zero sludge in cam chain tensioner area! I swear by rislone and will run a bottle every other oil change. I also found a good combo to run between those as well, rotella T6 with the small bottle of Lucas' assembly lube for added protection. I now have 140,000 miles and my 2.0t is running smooth,quiet, and has plenty of punch. I've also noticed my spooling is quicker and more consistent boost pressure. Hope I don't get too much flack for going against what a lot of people here deem the greatest sludge cleaner ever.

Iv used the stuff. In fact I have it in my engine now. Personally I prefer MMO to clean but like I said I'm using Rislone right now. I would use it for more often but I don't like to keep any additive in for 7500 miles.

Personally iv always imagined aftermarket additives burning off then everything going back to place or leading to more stuff that could potentially sludge easier.

Rotella is considered (and highly recommended) for sludge engines. Could it be possible it was mostly thanks to rotella?

That's a possibility, but I think the mix between rotellas high detergent and rislone created the perfect storm.

R&R!

Running rislone in the rover right now. At 1k and seems to be working. I'm running it with delvac, but considering T5/T6 the next run.

I am reading the post to say you started out with Auto-Rx going through the clean and rinse cycles. Unhappy you moved on. Auto-Rx does say heavly sludged engines will take two complete cleanings.

Auto-Rx I believe is good at removing some types of sludge like the baked on stuff. But other things like quality synthetic oil are better at gooey sludge.

YSMV (your sludge may vary)

I have used Rislone a couple times and was satisfied, although my impression was it was no more effective than MMO which costs far less. Perhaps I should try it in my Jeep as I've only tried MMO in it for cleaning, if it's more effective than MMO I may be able to tell.

Rislone is less expensive than MMO. One dosage of Rislone complete engine treatment concentrate is only about $4 at walmart. 1 quart of MMO is around $5 at my walmart.

Reactions: a5m
Next time I need something cleaned up I'm going to give Rislone a shot, I heard a lot of good things about it. Then I'll be able to hopefully compare it to the others.

If auto-rx primary and main compound is ester base oil, why not just use a half quart of jet oil to do the job in that mileage and call the day. Not even that will clean an engine, tough. That's why I do engine flush with a magnesium sulfonate detergent, once in a while, and I do get better results, since the crud won't even get baked if you do in a regular basis, since it was mostly removed by the flusing. Baked crud is a hard fight to win without engine disassembly, IMO.
EO Flush is a preventative measure, not a cure all.

Originally Posted By: Pontual
If auto-rx primary and main compound is ester base oil, why not just use a half quart of jet oil to do the job in that mileage and call the day. Not even that will clean an engine, tough. That's why I do engine flush with a magnesium sulfonate detergent, once in a while, and I do get better results, since the crud won't even get baked if you do in a regular basis, since it was mostly removed by the flusing. Baked crud is a hard fight to win without engine disassembly, IMO.
EO Flush is a preventative measure, not a cure all.

Auto RX doesn't use esters that you see in base oils.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Rislone is less expensive than MMO. One dosage of Rislone complete engine treatment concentrate is only about $4 at walmart. 1 quart of MMO is around $5 at my walmart.

Maybe there is more than one Rislone we are talking about? I used it twice, and it was nearly 9 bucks a bottle.

The standard Rislone Engine treatment is $5 or less at most stores. I picked up some on sale @ 3 for $9.98 at Fred Meyer

below is the one I purchased

Rislone

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: badtlc

Maybe there is more than one Rislone we are talking about? I used it twice, and it was nearly 9 bucks a bottle.

You are in MO, so maybe they are different products we are talking about. Walmart only carries one, though, and it is $4 or just over depending on the store. I'd recommend just using the concentrate product. It works well and 1/2 qt usually means you can just add it to normal oil without worrying of overfilling or reducing amount of regular oil.

Last edited:
Reactions: a5m
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back