automotive paint

found some rust on my wife's ford focus. rocker panel. did the body work then off to get paint mixed to match at a local auto body suppler ...I about fell over. they told me $85 bucks for a rattle can. i understand any color red is more expensive than other colors but at 85 bucks they can keep it I'll find something in red that's fairly close and call it good or possibly just paint both rockers black i just can't get over $85 for a can of paint

Automotive paint is pretty expensive. The little GM touch up tubes we sell are nearly $30 list price now.

I wouldn't pay that much either. If you can figure out the color code you may be able to find it online.

Well, if it is anything like my 1998 Ford Mustang Lazer red, it won't be much cheaper on Line. The cheapest I can find is nearly $60 per rattle can. It is pretty paint, but NEARLY the same color that is available from dupli color is MUCH cheaper.

I bought a rattle can of Urban Titaniam for my Honda Civic and it was only about $30.00. Some of these places are complete rip-offs. I would have walked out the door too.

I remember buying a touch up paint called Dupli Color for my 300ZX at AZ I think, or maybe O'Reilly? Matched perfectly.

My 15 year old mustang is too faded for real matching paint. $4 rustolium can looks a lot closer than i had hoped.

I would paint it satin black. Looks sharp to me. Maybe even use spray on bed liner instead of paint. If it is rust that developed from the inside, it will probably reappear within a year unless you installed new rockers.

When resorting to rattle can paint for ag. equipment touch ups, I have found the Rustoleum Professional High Performance Enamel to work very well. It seems to be some kind of modified alkyd that lays out nice and dries/hardens fairly quick. I warm up the cans in hot water to maximize atomization (maybe in my mind).

1654357858694.png

Last edited:
If you guys think $80 for a gallon of Ben Moore Aura, Sherwin-Williams Duration/Emerald or $60 for Behr Dynasty/Marquee for a house is madness, just wait until you go to a auto body supply shop and ask for the price of a pint of mid-grade basecoat of either PPG or Cromax persuasion. For kicks, price out Nexa Autocolor 2K, Standox/Spies Hecker or BASF Glasurit. Sikkens isn’t as available as it was in the 1990s - AkzoNobel doesn’t give the US market the same attention as Europe. There was rumor PPG wanted to buy AkzoNobel(much like the rumor that Warren Buffett’s Benjamin Moore was going to buy Axalta, the former DuPont automotive/industrial paint division) but that would give PPG a near monopoly on car paint and a definite monopoly on the aviation paints/sealants business.

And that’s not including reducer(for solventborne paints - PPG Envirobase/Nexa Aquabase uses deionized water with a surfactant), hardener if needed and the ancillary products like primers, clearcoat, prep chemicals, and the hardener for primer/clear.

Last edited:
Back