Automatic transmission dipsticks disappearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are more and more new vehicles with automatic transmissions not equipped with transmission fluid level dipsticks - or a means to check the fluid level?

Is this supposed to be some sort of product or design improvement?

Unfortunately, this is the trend. Most auto transmissions these days are "Fluid good for life of vehicle" Dunno why the mfr's think this is a good idea. However, most folks will just take their ride to the dealer for service now. I for one will not unless it is something I cannot handle.

Originally Posted By: MysticGold04
Unfortunately, this is the trend. Most auto transmissions these days are "Fluid good for life of vehicle" Dunno why the mfr's think this is a good idea. However, most folks will just take their ride to the dealer for service now. I for one will not unless it is something I cannot handle.

But still I would want to check it.

John

well, I guess part of the thinking is that transmission fluid isn't consumed, and looking at the fluid doesn't tell you much--so why use a dipstick?

Personally, I'd trade a dipstick for an easily accessible fill plug any day. I guess if you don't have either, then it would be a problem. I'm betting that John Q Public probably does more harm than good by checking the transmission fluid, since they don't realize that (most) should be checked while running, and that ATF levels are highly temperature-dependant.

I like the way it's done on my Freestyle: there's a drain plug, a fill plug and a dipstick--but the dipstick is completely hidden. You'll never accidentally pull it out, and you have to know what you're doing to find it. That probably cuts down on well-intentioned accidents.

I'm with you on the "life-time fill". MFG's should at least give you the option to easily maintain these fluids for those who choose to keep their stuff for a long time. Honda seem to do better than most in this regard, at least from what I've seen.

"Fluid for life" means life of the powertrain warranty. Aka 100k miles or 5 years, whichever comes first. After that, bets are off whether the AT will need a rebuild or not.

Our Honda has a very easily accessible dipstick and drain plug. It's been drained/filled with synthetic ATF every second oil change or so.

Someone's idea for "Lean Manufacturing".

They "justified" it didn't need to exist.

The "cost savings" probably got him a promotion.

frown.gif

Heck it's not even a new vehicle thing. I know some vehicles equipped with a GM 4L30E AT went dipstick-less in the late 1990's. I did ATF changes on a few and it was a PITA.

Joel

Fluid for Life means that the fluid will last all the way until the transmission fails, at which time you're advised to get a new vehicle.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Fluid for life, and saving $3 a car LOL what a joke.

Short life. Remember Volvo and VW with the Sealed For Life! I look at Volvos differently now
lol.gif

Quote:

Loc: Buffalo, NY Heck it's not even a new vehicle thing. I know some vehicles equipped with a GM 4L30E AT went dipstick-less in the late 1990's. I did ATF changes on a few and it was a PITA.

What cars were these, i will avoid them. 4L30E doesnt ring a bell. Ive worked on Suburban (4L65E and 4L80E IIRC) and TH-250C transes from Fieros.

A dipstick is very important to be able to check the condition of your fluid. When the fluid loses its redish color is when I usually have my transmission serviced. How do you check this without a dipstick?

As far as checking to see if the fluid level is low, I haven't had to add fluid to a transmission in 30 or 40 years.

Yea, I agree. I like to check all of my fluid levels. Finding something low before a trip could save a transmission. My 11 Hyundai Elantra doesn't have one. Almost bought another civic instead.

When the fluid goes low due to a leak and you notice shifting issues,when you bring it to the dealer they will say its not supposed to leak and you need a new trans.
A little known fact is in 1975 when emission controls really got plastered all over vehicles,congress wanted a way to keep the car owner from tampering with the added on goodies.They suggested welding the hood shut,or using some special key that only the dealer had to open it up.The intention was to keep "unqualified" hands from messing with "their" own property.The law eventually never reached beyond talking stages,probably something about freedom of choice when it came to maintenance.....sorta like todays "Right to Repair" commercial movement.

The first thing i do whenever i acuire a new vehicle is top up a half quart of new ATF from Walmart, the high mileage Mercon/Dexron stuff. it makes the vehicle shift SUPER smooth. The assumption is that the level has never been checked. I did this in a car and everyone that was in it was AMAZED at how smoothly it shifted.

I also had a vehicle recently where i need to top up 5 QUARTS of automatic transmission fluid before it started to shift appropriately, and i noticed something was wrong IMMEDIATELY upon putting it into drive and releasing brake in parking lot. It almost didnt move. Bucked and shifted super rough. Added almost two more after that, too. Car had sat, was very low, and had a gold/black fluid. The new fluid mixed with it, and achieved proper shifting. The more fluid went in, the stonger it shifted. It had not wanted to shift into overdrive at ~70MPH without acting as though that gear was gone. Adding fluid, gently and while hot, eventually made this a non-issue and basically bought that trans with the horrible burnt bad fluid back from the dead, even if it was overfull by a quart or more by the time i was done with it. (Ironically, reverse worked perfect.) Was better than the underfull burnt non-shifting fluid trans before i did that.

The half-quart to one quart overfull of brand new fluid added hot will NOT kill the trans, and frequently gives it a lubrication and pressure that makes shifting much improved. Just saying.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: 45ACP
[
What cars were these, i will avoid them. 4L30E doesnt ring a bell. Ive worked on Suburban (4L65E and 4L80E IIRC) and TH-250C transes from Fieros.

Isuzu Rodeo & Trooper, early Cadillac Cateras and some 1990's BMW 3 series.

The ones I worked on were 2001 and 2002 Isuzus.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: 45ACP
[

Isuzu Rodeo & Trooper, early Cadillac Cateras and some 1990's BMW 3 series.

The ones I worked on were 2001 and 2002 Isuzus.

Joel
don't forget some early long life mail vehicles (you no the funny looking ones)

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
don't forget some early long life mail vehicles (you no the funny looking ones)

No kidding?

I knew the USPS LLV's used 2.5L GM Iron Dukes and I thought the chassis were Chevy S10 truck based, but had no idea they used 4L30Es.

Joel

Originally Posted By: 4x4chevydude
The non servicable transmissions are the worst idea invented, how can they make us believe the fluid wont deterriorate?

Does not matter to the OE. As long as the vehicle survives the warranty period they don't care. Remember they are in the business of selling new cars, not letting owners work on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back