Automatic trans for 2000 Civic LX question??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I run run Honda fluid in the tranny, or switch to a synthetic fluid? I have 120,000 miles on the car and my goal is to get 225,000 good miles out of this car. Car has a good maintenance record since it was new.

Alot of people ask this question. The answer is that it is probably okay to run a synthetic fluid in Honda AT's but keep in mind that no manufacturer can truly claim their fluid is compatible with ATF-Z1. Honda has never given out specs for their fluids so using anything else is a crapshoot.

IMO ATF-Z1 is a good fluid and you cant go wrong with using it.

I've had good results with a Dexron-III ATF plus a bottle of Lubegard black HFM supplement, so a syn Dex-III ATF would be likely OK with the Lubegard. Amsoil and Schaeffer now claim that their full synthetic ATF is OK in Hondas.

Ken

quote:

Honda has never given out specs for their fluids so using anything else is a crapshoot.

But that doesn't mean that we don't know what's in it, nor does it mean we can't reproduce it.

I just did a 50% service in my clean CRV trans that was full of Z1 with 2q of MaxLife and 1q of Mobil 1 ATF. It shifts smooth. My notion is that you should not use a run-of-the-mill Dex, but a premuim one is ok. Universal ATF is a plus, but finding one in synth is questionable. Noone has mentioned the Pennzoil products...they are worth looking at, but MaxLife "recommends" for Z1 and my unit is a 98 with 95k. I will service it again with the same mix. I am a lil crazy, I guess.

I have used Amsoil syn fluid in my 1993 Civic for the last 60,000 miles with no problems, now have 183,000 miles on the car. Try it, you'll like it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back