How can you tell if a car has had transmission fluid changed before?

I recently came into a 2012 Honda Civic LX with the 5 speed A/T.

A honda tech who looked at it said the fluid looked ok and didn't warrant changing. However upon closer inspection it I see red fluid with black stuff suspended pretty moderately in it. I doubt it's original fluid because the A/T shifts flawslessly and it doesn't smell burnt.

Any other signs I should be looking for in the fluid?

Car has 167,800 miles on it, appears to be DW-1.

Maybe look at the drain bolt for tell tale sighs? Ask the owner? Paperwork?
As @JustinH said, jusr service it. Soooo easy. Unless the plug magnet is really full, it has likely been changed. I have found the 1st service gets the most debris, break in material.

You only need 3 quarts of fluid. Good luck.

If you can change oil on a car, you can change the ATF on a Honda. That uses 2-1/2 quarts, so buy 3 quarts of Honda DW-1 when you are able to. No need to use anything like Valvoline Maxlife, etc though plenty will tell you to. People like to say "it's cheap insurance" for so many other car-related costs here yet they cheap out to save $10-15.... 🤔

If you can change oil on a car, you can change the ATF on a Honda. That uses 2-1/2 quarts, so buy 3 quarts of Honda DW-1 when you are able to. No need to use anything like Valvoline Maxlife, etc though plenty will tell you to. People like to say "it's cheap insurance" for so many other car-related costs here yet they cheap out to save $10-15.... 🤔

To flip that around, what are you gaining by spending an additional $15? The people that decide to go with non-OEM fluids claim that fluid provides the same or better protection (assuming it meets specifications) at a lower cost. Are they wrong?

OTOH, that tranny with those miles on the same fluid will likely last for another couple hundred thousand if you care to keep it running that long. Roll the dice, or not -- your choice.

Because I'm rather poor ATM. Spent the last bit of money I saved up getting the car insured for 6 months, and a used tire put in, not to mention registering and title.
If the transmission shifts fine then there is very little chance it will cease to work right from the fluid in it. There is no reason you couldn’t wait to change it at a later date.

Thanks all. When I get some more money together I'll change the fluid, but the wheel bearing comes first.

Just make sure you use the factory fluid. I would not trust anything other than the Honda DW1 ATF. Congrats on the Honda 2012 Honda LX I have one and it's been an awesome car and I am at almost 131,000 miles.

The people that decide to go with non-OEM fluids claim that fluid provides the same or better protection (assuming it meets specifications) at a lower cost. Are they wrong?
ATF is probably the most complex fluid in your vehicle, and provides both a hydraulic fluid function and a lubrication function.

The biggest difference I have seen when trying to find specs of different ATF's is the viscosity. Does a viscosity difference affect both hydraulic fluid performance and lubrication performance and by how much? I don't know - ask the design engineer for the trans, and if they actually tested it for different viscosities.

Anyone that tells you it provides better protection is guessing. I prefer to not guess myself, but many have without issue. YMMV :)

ATF is probably the most complex fluid in your vehicle, and provides both a hydraulic fluid function and a lubrication function.

The biggest difference I have seen when trying to find specs of different ATF's is the viscosity. Does a viscosity difference affect both hydraulic fluid performance and lubrication performance and by how much? I don't know - ask the design engineer for the trans, and if they actually tested it for different viscosities.

Anyone that tells you it provides better protection is guessing. I prefer to not guess myself, but many have without issue. YMMV :)

I'm on your side. I also used OEM transmission fluid because it didn't require me to research or think about it.

The point I'm making is that the other side of the discussion has an automotive fluid manufacture backing up their claim and we have what we "think" could/should/might be a problem. Of course, all of this is assuming that the fluid meets specifications required by the manufacture.

The people that decide to go with non-OEM fluids claim that fluid provides the same or better protection (assuming it meets specifications) at a lower cost. Are they wrong?
Never said they were wrong (or right). I said that it's pretty much hypocrisy, you know, the ones that change synthetic oil every 3000 miles and tell themselves "it's cheap insurance" 😂

I use DW-1 in our Honda but have nothing against Valvoline, Castrol, etc, etc ATF and I'll never tell someone not to use it. I simply won't tell them to use it. If I give my opinion, especially with Hondas, I'm saying DW-1. Now, if DW-1 were $30/quart or something, I might not even use it myself !

A honda tech who looked at it said the fluid looked ok and didn't warrant changing. However upon closer inspection it I see red fluid with black stuff suspended pretty moderately in it. I doubt it's original fluid because the A/T shifts flawslessly and it doesn't smell burnt.

If debris is suspended in the fluid, change it. Doesn't matter if it was changed before.

I recommend simply assuming it's original fluid unless you have records showing otherwise.

If debris is suspended in the fluid, change it. Doesn't matter if it was changed before.

In a Honda with unfiltered recirculating fluid? I remember my wife's Civic recommended 4 back to back changes at about 120K miles. But for 2012 it should come with a maintenance minder, but I'm not sure what the typical change interval is. I've done really quick changes before in a Honda automatic transmission, and it's always going to have floating particles in there. It's designed with that in mind.

I'm on your side. I also used OEM transmission fluid because it didn't require me to research or think about it.

The point I'm making is that the other side of the discussion has an automotive fluid manufacture backing up their claim and we have what we "think" could/should/might be a problem. Of course, all of this is assuming that the fluid meets specifications required by the manufacture.

Honda ATF is chemistry very different than any fluid for a stepped gear automatic. I have yet to use a multi-vehicle fluid in a Honda that delivers the same shift characteristics as the Genuine Honda fluid.

Back