Autolite xp iridium enhanced vs acdelco iridium soark plugs

Hi all!hope you all had a merry xmas!
98 Buick lesabre.wanna change my plugs soon.I had installed ac Delco coppers,3 years ago and some 20,000 miles. Am looking at absolute co iridiums.says iridiums enhanced. What's the difference,between iridiums enhanced? And reg full a.c. Delco iridiums? Was thinking of double platinum..but decided on iridium.factory. I installed cippets,because it was in very bad shape.. New cat,exhaust,the manifold gaskets I did myself....2 new radiators.thermstat..I did.hence put cheapie plugs in. So...difference between enhanced iridiums and reg iridiums? The a.c. Delco all got highest best reviews.then ngk...then autolites.

Autolite Iridium XP utilizes an iridium-enhanced 0.6 mm finewire and proprietary platinum sidewire for improved durability* and a more focused ignition for better overall ignitability**

What's the sidewire? The ground electrode has platinum on it.

AC Delco's website doesn't list an Iridium enhanced. Just factory iridiums, that don't have platinum on the ground electrode

Last edited:
The Delco plugs are made by Denso - same proven tech as the OEM plugs in Japanese cars - a laser welded Ir teat on the center electrode and a Pt disc on the ground strap.

Autolite XPs are similar but made in Mexico to a price point - no trivalent chrome plating on the shell and no laser welding.

the stock plug would be a platinum plug - either would be a good choice but you can’t go wrong with Delco IMO.

The Delco plugs are made by Denso - same proven tech as the OEM plugs in Japanese cars - a laser welded Ir teat on the center electrode and a Pt disc on the ground strap.

Autolite XPs are similar but made in Mexico to a price point - no trivalent chrome plating on the shell and no laser welding.

the stock plug would be a platinum plug - either would be a good choice but you can’t go wrong with Delco IMO.

This... Delco plugs would be worth the extra dough....

However, caveat emptor - GM doesn’t make their down spark plugs. ACDelco copper and single-platinum Rapidfire plugs are made by Champion(look at the shell markings, they are the same). Only the double-platinum and iridium ones are made by Denso.

GM used to make Delco plugs in-house.

Delco plugs are NGK and have been for more than a decade.

Thanks!I wanna try the autolite iridium. But....what exactly is,enhanced iridiums vs just plain iridiums plugs?

The article says NGK supplies ignition and emission parts. I don't think this means that they are the exclusive supplier of spark plugs to GM.

No...NGK are ONE of GM's suppliers and obviously got an award for their service, but they are not the only Delco plug manufacturer. I have a close friend who is high on the food chain at Federal Mogul and says they also produce spark plugs for General Motors, Ford, Chrysler as well as other vehicle manufacturers.

No...NGK are ONE of GM's suppliers and obviously got an award for their service, but they are not the only Delco plug manufacturer. I have a close friend who is high on the food chain at Federal Mogul and says they also produce spark plugs for General Motors, Ford, Chrysler as well as other vehicle manufacturers.
Yep … Mobil gets these awards and is not the sole source of lubricants 👍🏼

Get ACDelco, NGK, or Denso. Don't buy them from eBay or Amazon.

Iridium is good for at least 100k, so you won't have to do them again for a long time.
I bought AC Delco Iridiums from Amazon...they appear to be fake. I didn't learn this until after the return period had ended. The seller is no where to be found on Amazon anymore, probably selling these same fake plugs under a different "business" name now. The plugs look good, but under a magnifying glass the tips look very suspect, very crude looking, packaging is identified on youtube as being the fake ones. They were cheap, comparatively, and they will end up in the trash. Buy from Rock Auto or a local trusted auto parts store is the moral of the story.

AFAIK the platinums and iridiums are NGK some of their Asian stuff may get something else. I have a friend at Delco I can call on Monday.

Thanks!I wanna try the autolite iridium. But....what exactly is,enhanced iridiums vs just plain iridiums plugs?
I have Autolite Iridiums in a 2008 Jetta 2.5 for over 100k miles and car runs great. I never got around to changing them but will do when the weather gets a bit warmer.

I’ve seen Subaru and Hyundai-labeled Champion plug boxes - and a long time ago, you got plugs at a Mopar dealer, the boxes were the same as Champion but with the Mopar logo where it would say Champion.

I always thought Ford had Trico(Autolite) or NGK make their plugs.

Back