Auto-RX Turned Oil In Lawn Mower Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Toro Super Recycler Mower that has the 6 Horsepower Briggs & Stratton Engine, put in 1 ounce of Auto-Rx last summer and changed the oil at the end of the season, nothing unusual, put new oil in and added 1 ounce of Auto-Rx again, using Amsoil 4-Stroke Synthetic, changed oil today and it came out black, will not be using mower again until next Wednesday, should I put the Amsoil in with 1 ounce of Auto-Rx or should I get some cheap dino oil and fill the gas tank up and let it run for an hour to do kind of a rinse, this mower is 11 years old and I mow a few yards for people with it, I am guessing since 1998 I have put over 1000 hours on this machine, mower is running great, just surprised that it took until I changed the oil a 2nd time for the color of the oil to be very dark.

Well since you did not rinse before you put the Amsoil in I would add about change that oil out to something like Rotella 10W30 for the rest of the season and and another once of auto-rx if you think you need to start over. If not just run the dino for the rinse phase before going back to your synthetic.

Just put whatever proper weight oil you want in the mower,mow the lawn,then change it out. It's only 15 or so ounces.

When I dumped the oil today I did not put any oil back in because I wanted too see what you guys had to say, I was always under the impression that on a mower you just added the 1 ounce with each oil change but this color had me concerned, I will pick up some 10W-30 dino oil and run it for maybe a month or more, just wondering if the dino oil will release a lot of junk since this engine is 11 years old, I am so glad I did not put the Amsoil back in, so I basically did 2 cleans in a row, so now it is time for some rinsing, could this explain why for the last few weeks I have had to add some oil and while mowing there were a few puffs of smoke from all the junk floating around in the oil.

Maybe it's just me,I would want to check the oil after each mow. I would change the oil after each mow if the oil was noticeably more dirty than than it was prior to the mow.

I always check the level of the oil before I mow any of my yards, even when I use it on my Dad's yard to just trim around where he cannot get his riding mower, like I said before to be safe I will use dino oil and fill the gas tank up and let it run for an hour and see how the oil looks this way there is no stress on the engine with it running in the driveway.

There were no chunks in the oil, as far as the smoking, meaning a little puff when I am mowing, started last summer before Auto-Rx, when I say a little puff, maybe once or twice while mowing, this mower's lubrication is the slinger type, and between 1998-2004 I did mow 2 yards that had hill's which is not the best thing for a mower like this, but I have always used synthetic oil in this mower, this smoking from the engine could have something to do with the valve seal or guide, whichever one is on a small engine, I will try to pick up a quart of oil today and run it tonite or tommorow.

I ran the mower today in my driveway for 1 hour with just dino oil and it did not smoke and ran fine, will use it tommorow and see how things go.

Interesting. Maybe the Auto-RX helped fix some damage. We'll have to wait until you put the synthetic back in and see if it does the same thing.

I have had the dino oil in there for about 5 hours, and since I put Auto-Rx in last June and then again at the beggining of the season, I am going to leave the dino oil in there to give it more time to rinse things out. I will keep checking the oil and keep everyone posted.

I decided to drain the oil out after 6 hours and it was a little dark, added some more dino oil and will run it maybe 10 hours to see how much more stuff gets rinsed out, the mower is running fantastic. I will keep everyone posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back