Auto-rx summary and new maint dose pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stainless, I think it's just a factor of where I was in the cycles. I ran Tection Extra later by itself, as well as running a few doses of SLOB with other oils and didn't get diddly squat. Futhermore, I did a UOA on the Tection Extra in the 2nd rinse cycle and it had sheared down to a 30 weight in 2,000 miles. Not an ideal situation, IMHO.

I ran maint dose pretty regularly for ages but just threw a full bottle in my Mazda 626 Turbo. Didn't expect much but a big change already in noise and smoothness. I have blocked of half the radiator (pizza box) to get the heat up, my car runs cool after wrong thermostat fitted. So RX needs hot oil to do it's job properly with maint dose or full cleaning egime IMO. Time to redo thermostat I think.

Quote:

mystic (and Frank):

If you've run a "clean and rinse" in your engine (less than 100K miles) and you're now using a 3-4 ounce maintenance dose with each oil change, why would you need to "re-clean" the engine again?

I put an Auto-Rx maintenance dose in my wife's '05 Highlander 3.3L V6 at the first OCI, i.e., 1k miles. It gets PP 5w30 every 5k miles along with 3-4 ounces of Auto-Rx. I hope I'll never need to perform a full clean and rinse on that engine.

BrianWC: nice pics! I wish I'd taken a look under the valve cover of my 2002 9-3SE before I turned it in off of lease in 2005. 5k mile OCIs with M-1 0w40 the first year, then 5w40 the last two years. I might have been surprised!

great question.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back