Auto-RX Cleaning Result

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ADFD1
Originally Posted By: SWHeat
. Prior to that I used a HF tailpipe cutter that I lost in a move and that they no longer carry. It actually worked better than this set up, but this is a close second for 4x the money!

Is this the cutter you used in the past?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91292

Sorry for the link I couldn't paste a picture? Mods if I hi-jacked the thread sorry, I can start a new one? Looks like it might just do the trick, and cheap, if it works.

AD

No, that is not the one. The one I had was a chain like device that had cutting wheels every chain link. Then a hook at the end to complete the circle. You would have some of the chain hanging over depending on the diameter of the filter. You had a telescoping feature in the handle that was the tightening mechanism. I was bummed when I lost it in the move and that harbor freight stopped carrying that type (I actually found a worker than knew what I was looking for as he remembered them and knew that they no longer carried them).

Thanks, Sears has the chain type cutter, they cost more than that HF one, about 2x more. I wonder if the HF cutter would work? Or just hacksaw them open and call it a day.

AD

Hacksaw is a bit dangerous and I have stitches in my hands to prove it...
LOL.gif

I won in the end, but it was a bloody battle!

Yes the HF one would work as long as it was within the diameter specified. Mine looked exactly like this one in the link but was only about $10.00 or less if I remember correctly.

Exhaust Pipe Cutter

I did it a few times (hacksaw), and didn't care for it. I like that HF cutter in the link. I can't see spending that much for the Summit cutter. I would like something to filters up with. Looks like the Craftsman Exhaust Pipe Cutter might be the ticket, at least it can be used for something else.

AD

Originally Posted By: StevieC
LOL.gif

I had a few close calls last night. :)

But you won't have any scars to show the grandchildren and you can [censored] and say it was when you were in the war...
LOL.gif

This is why cartridge filters are the wave of the future (or blast from the past)!!! They make it great for us filter analyzers. You just pull the filter out and BAM! You see everything with no cutting.

But you won't have any scars to show the grandchildren and you can [censored] and say it was when you were in the war...
LOL.gif

"Gather 'round kids. Back in my day we had private vehicles that each individual owned and freely drove anywhere we wanted to, different than the government stuff you youngsters ride on now. They ran on fossil fuels and you had to maintain them with petroleum based lubricants and change filters to keep thing clean. See these scars, look close, these are from "maintenance", it was hard work, something you punks no nothing about. Back in the day we didn't just recycle stuff when it was used up or old; we maintained and repared it to make it last a long time. Back then we'd keep stuff useable for 10 years or more..."

LOL.gif

The next time I am in Toronto I will stop by and show you how to use a hacksaw to cut open an oil filter without cutting yourself.

My dad is Italian and was born dry-walling and using other assorted tools, plus he is a mechanic of 35 years.

So in learning from him, I'm pretty sure I know how to use a saw.

If you must know, the oily filter slipped in my hand and the saw went sideways into my palm. It happens... It's not because I don't know how to use a saw.

'cmon now...
smirk2.gif

But you're welcome to come up here to Canuck land and have a Timmies Coffee with me, or some real beer and not that water you call beer!
LOL.gif

If you must know, the oily filter slipped in my hand and the saw went sideways into my palm. It happens... It's not because I don't know how to use a saw.

I agree. You know how to use a saw just fine. You just have a weak grip. Quick reflexes could have prevented injury. Next time, hold the oil filter between your thighs, then use the hacksaw.
48.gif

Yeah I might cut my well sized "Setup" eh Mori?
48.gif

No, I was rather thinking you would have nothing to lose, should you slip.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
48.gif

LOL.gif

Because I'm careful?
48.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
48.gif

LOL.gif

Because I'm careful?
48.gif

You were so careful, you sawed with a hacksaw into your palm!

Swheat,

Was that the rinse phase picture of a first ARX cleaning and rinse on the van? Is there a second cleaning to take place? Or a Maintenance dose for further cleaning?

Yes that was the rinse phase. The cleaning phase had some carbonized stuff in the corner of the can, but not as much as the rinse phase.

Another cleaning phase is now underway. I put an oversized FL-A Motorcraft (PH8A Fram numbering system equivalent) filter on it this time as there is room for it. Will do the same for the rinse phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back