Auto owner quirks

I used to have a habit of opening my hood when I got to work if I had a NASCAR experience on 93-S
on the way to work in the Summer months. My thinking was if I let let all the heat out it, wont degrade the more sensitive
underhood components as quickly,
I got razzed for doing that - like it was the most insane thing the guys and women in the office had ever seen !
One guy even said. " If you leave that hood open again I'm taking you battery !"

I probably have some quirks but I can’t think of one at this time that would be quirky to me, only to others.

Ahhh, here’s ☝️ one…I don’t really know how well the coolant in the overflow reservoir gets mixed/used throughout the cooling system during normal driving. IMO, it only draws coolant back & forth, not fully recirculating soooo…

Several times a year, I draw enough coolant out of the radiator and put it into a clean bottle(bottled water bottle).

Then I draw out an equal amount of coolant from the overflow reservoir and put it back into the vacant space that I made in the radiator.

Finally putting the coolant from the clean water bottle that I used(that has coolant from the rad) back into the overflow.

Now that’s anal.
And here I thought I was the only one.

I will likely start changing my overflow tanks every six months or so because I want them to stay clean and that doesn't exactly happen when there's a oil leak in that area. I exchange coolant and fluids a lot too to keep it clean...

af8cd6f8f419b6fd31d408a46a2ba0bc.jpg

If I execute a passing maneuver while on a lonely state highway somewhere, I have to go WOT to do the actual overtaking, and I will not let up on the throttle until I have surpassed 100mph.

This is while driving The Bacon Hauler or the Pork Wagon only though. I feel no desire nor need to do the same when driving others' vehicles or a rented one.

I check tire pressures in my vehicles every Saturday morning. Been doing this for about 15-20 years.
I wonder if you can attest to the wide variation in the pressures of different tires over time. I've got some tires that I swear don't lose any air over years. Then I've got some that need it almost weekly, then every few months. I just chalk it up to some tires have a cleaner bead or better functioning valve but I dunno.

I wonder if you can attest to the wide variation in the pressures of different tires over time. I've got some tires that I swear don't lose any air over years. Then I've got some that need it almost weekly, then every few months. I just chalk it up to some tires have a cleaner bead or better functioning valve but I dunno.

The tires in my 3 vehicles fluctuate about 1/2 pound every few weeks. My vehicles all have Continental tires on them.

This is awesome, I know I am not alone!!! Having a wife and kids "fixed" a lot of my quirks. I used to get teased by my friends because I would have to have all the vents centered. I could not stand my HVAC dash vents pointing differently from one another.

Nothing is in my car besides me, keys, and anything I need for the day.
I even go through my wifes car every few days and make sure nothing is left behind.
Leather care every week, windshield cleaned every 2.

I have never physically watched a compressor operating, but I can watch at idle, the AC compressor causing idle blips every 2 minutes or so. This is my experience in a 2001 honda civic and 1991 toyota previa. Both have good outlet temperatures and good pressures.

This really isn't a quirk as much as pretty much a requirement while living with that vintage of civic and many other Honda's

I have an 04 Civic and do something similar, these cars don't have variable displacement AC compressor's, they are either on or off. Combine that with a D17 and you can feel a jerk while driving every time that compressor engages. Taking off from a light and accelerating while the compressor engaged is pure agony for how much extra power it requires and how much slower you accelerate.

The majority of cars these days have variable displacement AC compressors and for the most part you cannot feel any engagements or significantly less power unless its very hot and the compressor is at or near full displacement.

On a warm but not hot day, or a cool morning where you're using defrost the AC compressor engages and disengages ALOT! on these civics and you can feel exactly when it happens every time. I'll do some manual cycling myself just to preserve the AC clutch and because it's annoying but that is the only car I do it with.

I could not stand my HVAC dash vents pointing differently from one another.
I'm the same way. Not only do mine all point the same way (forwards and slightly down). I never move them unless they get bumped accidently while cleaning. It never occurred to me to reposition them while driving even when it is 100 degrees out.

I really hate the sound of my vehicles starting in below 0f temps, good thing they both have remote start so I don't have hear them.

I also hate getting in a cold car.

I replace wiper blades when they start to streak even a bit, bugs me!
I too turn everything off most of the time before shutting car down. Eased up on that a bit, used to be really OCD about it.
I idle my car for at least a minute, more in colder weather. I cannot just start and go ever, unless it is a real emergency.
I check my oil and top off washer fluid more than I need to.

oh, another quirk of mine is that when my vehicle has been sitting more than a week, I press my finger against the clutch safety d switch when starting my car. Doing this keeps load off the thrust bearings by relieving the need to press the clutch pedal to start it. While my family thinks I’m anal, I am the only one with a 20 year old Honda and 31 year old Toyota.

Jeff, That is interesting about your car being a "strippie" . Do you know any history of it from new, like who the ordering dealer was etc. I had one of the STL plant guys tell me that when the strike hit several of the suppliers would obviously not cross the picket lines. This meant that some options may have not gotten delivered in bulk to final assembly. Supposedly several cars went out the door without the options that were on the order. I have seen this personally where the "tank sticker" was compared to what the car was actually "born with". As I recall in 68 tilt / telescopic columns were in short supply, as well as some trim options like leather seats, and the speed indicator alarm. Again, supposedly some cars went out the door with cloth seats that were ordered with leather.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Mine got pushed out of the garage on Sunday for a wash. I learned from my Dad as a young kid that quick starts and stops should be avoided if possible. We pushed his '78 Blazer out of the garage many times to get washed.
Same here! Sometimes I wondered if the neighbors thought I was crazy pushing the Miata in and out :)

oh, another quirk of mine is that when my vehicle has been sitting more than a week, I press my finger against the clutch safety d switch when starting my car. Doing this keeps load off the thrust bearings by relieving the need to press the clutch pedal to start it. While my family thinks I’m anal, I am the only one with a 20 year old Honda and 31 year old Toyota.
It's a definite concern in the Miata community. You're not paranoid.

Also, sequential sweep wipers are superior to radial
My Dad preferred sequential (pivots both outboard with non-parallel action) but didn't resist the 'changing tide'. I always wondered what the benefit was to parallel or what the avoided expense was to cause this universal changeover.

Also, isn't the clutch safety switch deep within the dash at the clutch pedal's pivot point? How do you reach it?

Back