Auto owner quirks

....and the sticker is always crooked.
That would bug me to no end.... Or a sticker that is obviously supposed to be centered, but is just slightly off-center. I always wonder: Did a blind guy put the sticker on?

I don't like stickers of any kind but one thing I do do that probably most people here don't, is I leave on the dealer's plate frame.

1. People who are clearly not disabled or elderly hanging out in loading/unloading area in front of the store. You know the types, the Karen with only two bags strolling out to meet her henpecked chauffeur.

2. People who leaves theirs vehicle parked at the pump to go into the store when there are clearly others waiting for gas. If there are open pumps whatever. But if people are clearly waiting then park elsewhere and have some respect for your fellow man you self-centered yokel.

I have one that is not mentioned. I am a stickler about AC compressor use. I don’t like the compressor clutch engaged when the engine is at high rpm. So I turn on the compressor at stop lights just before accelerating.

I’m agitated by the ecm cycling the compressor on and off at highway speeds, so I turn the compressor on and off manually to reduce the number of compressor engagements. This means the cabin temperature cycles between warm and cool quite often. That is my most severe quirk obsession.

I get quite perturbed when a passenger disrupts my AC cycling management.

I have one that is not mentioned. I am a stickler about AC compressor use. I don’t like the compressor clutch engaged when the engine is at high rpm. So I turn on the compressor at stop lights just before accelerating.
you know they’ve done that automatically for the last 40 years right

In the morning, before starting out, I walk around the car three times, running my hand gently over the finish to see if there are any new imperfections in the paint. If I discover an imperfection, I put a Band-Aid on it. I keep a supply of different sized Band-Aids in the center console, being careful not to have them touch my collection of blue M&Ms.

I don't for the life of me understand people who put bumper stickers ON THE PAINT. It's always the same stereotypes I've noticed that do this. And it's usually accompanied by bicycles strapped to the bike racks. You can tell they never take them off too by just looking at them.

And I really hate those "slogan" types that always have a bumper sticker that says "I Survived Walmart!" or some crazy b.s. like that, and the sticker is always crooked. It's always an old lady with a cigarette hanging out a barely opened window, messy crazy unbrushed hair, and a beat up car.
Like this? I even wiped the dirt off with my sleeve 😉
78B44B21-5C4C-4426-8F37-DC2252F2BF31.jpeg

you know they’ve done that automatically for the last 40 years right
You have any proof? Every article I have read shows the compressor turns on based on cabin temperature and a thermostat near the evaporator, example article:

“It is normal for the AC compressor to switch on and off. Every time the air becomes hotter, the air conditioning compressor cycles to cool it until the required temperature. An air conditioner’s cycle time is the time it takes for the compressor to start working and cool down the room temperature to the temperature set on the thermostat.”

I have not read articles that say a compressor refuses do engage past a certain rpm to avoid clutch wear or that the AC anticipates when a driver begins accelerating at an intersection.

I have heard some cars disengage the clutch at wide open throttle to release parasitic loss, but that’s on small engines like the Miata.

Where is an article explaining what you are saying is fact today?

You have any proof? Every article I have read shows the compressor turns on based on cabin temperature and a thermostat near the evaporator, example article:

“It is normal for the AC compressor to switch on and off. Every time the air becomes hotter, the air conditioning compressor cycles to cool it until the required temperature. An air conditioner’s cycle time is the time it takes for the compressor to start working and cool down the room temperature to the temperature set on the thermostat.”

I have not read articles that say a compressor refuses do engage past a certain rpm to avoid clutch wear or that the AC anticipates when a driver begins accelerating at an intersection.

I have heard some cars disengage the clutch at wide open throttle to release parasitic loss, but that’s on small engines like the Miata.

Where is an article explaining what you are saying is fact today?
Just how hard do you accelerate from the light? unless if you are winding it out i can’t see how this is a problem.

Then again, this is a quirk thread…

I've never had an AC compressor fail in over 4 decades of car ownership. I did have one AC compressor clutch that had to be replaced, years ago.
I don't use AC more than I need to on the Honda, but the Buick and Chev both have auto climate control, so I don't even know when the AC compressor is running.

^^THIS!! Omg watching someone do this almost makes me come unhinged!! It's like a weird nervous tick those people have or something.
It’s a manual-of-arms of sorts. I do it. Many other examples in everything that we do.

So do I. I still have the dealer plate frame on my rear plate. I personally thing those dealer plate frames add a "finishing touch" as opposed to a bare naked license plate.
I purchased some very nice soft rubber frames. Amazing. Tight fit, zero rattles, and very secure.

So do I. I still have the dealer plate frame on my rear plate. I personally thing those dealer plate frames add a "finishing touch" as opposed to a bare naked license plate.
That's the first thing that comes off when bringing a new car home, have my own frames to put on. :D

^^THIS!! Omg watching someone do this almost makes me come unhinged!! It's like a weird nervous tick those people have or something.
It's cool Man. My pet peeve is every youtube car review involves revving the bejeebers out of it in neutral. Makes me cringe.

Getting gas yesterday and a guy was walking around his car at the pump, letting just a little bit of air out of each tire. Very meticulous about it. I asked if they were all overinflated, and he said, yes...I overinflated them and then gradually let out a little bit each time I fill up. It makes them last longer. And then I fill them up again. Then he started rain-x ing his windows down.

Any quirks out there, because I found this one^^peculiar. 🤣🤣 But then again, we all do something.

Personally, I apply white lithium grease to the oil and tranny pan to keep them from rusting out. This all started when years ago a new car I bought started weeping at the oil pan gasket... was thinking about getting it replaced under warranty when someone said, let it be, it’ll never rust out. And almost 300,000 miles later, they were right. That pan was probably the only thing on that car that was in pristine condition.

I usually wax the paint every 3 months. I also go out of my way to avoid almost every single pot hole/road imperfection I can.

Anyone have any automobile quirks?
Yeah- mine is staying in the right lane outa ppl's way and only venture into the left lane to pass. Then back to the right. But that's just me

Back