Auto mechanics...the truths

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmm at my engine shop almost every time i give an estimate it is cheaper when they come in to pay the bill... I always give the worst case price but that is why i am super busy and always have engines waiting and i dont have to advertise.. This has been an engine shop since 1948 i had it for 21 years.. No bull no shortcuts no excuses... I tell my people fix it rite the first time or you will be doing it again on your time..
The truth is there are some very honest people in the auto business but there are a lot of crooks also

Last edited:
I was expecting closer to 50%.

Not sure what they were talking about with the brake fluid, I find it really hard to believe that the brake fluid turned black after 2 weeks. Maybe black at the pads but definitely not in the cylinder.

The guy talking about the struts and giving them a $2,000 bill was just obviously a ripoff. I'm pretty sure any reasonable consumer would have left the shop immediately.

Overall really awful, and I sometimes forget how little the average consumer knows about cars.

Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman

I hate seeing honest and hard working people being lied to and ripped off!

You can say that about most professions. Look at any job with sales involved. At the end of the day all the bean counters care about are profits, and if you can't do it they will find somebody else that can. Don't blame the guy, blame the system.

Originally Posted By: ComfyShorts

You can say that about most professions. Look at any job with sales involved. At the end of the day all the bean counters care about are profits, and if you can't do it they will find somebody else that can. Don't blame the guy, blame the system.

I couldn't agree with you more!
happy2.gif

Unfortunately I can attest to this to a degree. However, at least in the store I work at, we may be told to sell customers things they likely don't need, it's at least not usually a bald-face ridiculous [censored] like this. At least our geek squad guys aren't with computer repairs. Our managers are the ones that cause issues, but we all try to help the customer the best we can to our ability. None of them for example, would ever tell them something they don't need, or that isn't true.

Not all stores are like this, unfortunately.

I'm waiting on the video to load, but most of what is about to be revealed is probably nothing new.

Aside from the shady aspects of things, I also seen some garages whereby the tech is given a bonus if they finish the job faster than book time, and move onto another vehicle. More often than not, jobs are rushed and you see things like impact wrenches being used to install oil pan drain bolts.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS

Aside from the shady aspects of things, I also seen some garages whereby the tech is given a bonus if they finish the job faster than book time, and move onto another vehicle. More often than not, jobs are rushed and you see things like impact wrenches being used to install oil pan drain bolts.

Most shops use this pay system its called flat rate. The tech doesn't really get a "bonus" if a job pays 2 hours and you finish in hour you get paid for two, but if the same job takes you 5 hours you still only get two...now days pay rate on most jobs is so low it most of times can't be completed in assigned time. I've yet to see a tech installing drain bolts with impact anything, stop going to shady repair shops. And anyways the tech who is working on your driveability/brakes/suspension concerns is not the one changing your oil, they got kids making min wage for that.

Most shops use this pay system its called flat rate. The tech doesn't really get a "bonus" if a job pays 2 hours and you finish in hour you get paid for two, but if the same job takes you 5 hours you still only get two...now days pay rate on most jobs is so low it most of times can't be completed in assigned time. I've yet to see a tech installing drain bolts with impact anything, stop going to shady repair shops. And anyways the tech who is working on your driveability/brakes/suspension concerns is not the one changing your oil, they got kids making min wage for that.

I should have made it a bit clearer actually. Most dealerships in Kuwait use the "bonus" program I described, and the techs they employ are all "multi-skilled".

So basically the tech that changes your timing belt also changes your oil, as opposed to one tech changing the timing belt and the vehicle going into another service bay for someone else to change the oil. One vehicle is assigned per tech, and it is their responsibility to complete all the tasks assigned on that particular vehicle - unless it is something they do not specialize in.

Under these circumstances, things are rushed to finish before the allocated time so the tech gets his bonus, and impact wrenches are used whenever possible. Sometimes, a fellow colleague is asked for a hand, and they try and get the job out the way faster than the guy the vehicle is assigned to. I've seen situations where most of the oil is out the pan, and the drain bolt being put back in before the oil starts to drip (still draining). The bolt is then screwed in by hand just enough so that it doesn't fall off, and in comes the impact wrench to drive and (over) tighten it into place

The oil pan on my truck was actually damaged by the dealership because of practices like this, and they never took responsibility for it. No matter what size drain bolt I try and install, I have to change my oil pan in the not too distant future. With the front differential immediately under the oil pan, I'm either going to have to take the engine out or the entire front axle. Needless to say, the truck hasn't been there since I came back from abroad and took over its maintenance. I'm now using the biggest drain bolt possible, wrapped in thread seal tape, as a temporary measure.

For just oil changes, they have designated bays known as "Quick Service Centers" instead, where they employ people with basic knowledge just to change your oil. If the vehicle is in for a "major service", like spark plugs, filters and a timing belt, then even the oil change is done by the tech the vehicle is assigned to.

Dealership techs here are paid a basic monthly salary of anywhere between $585-$912 a month, and rely on these so-called "bonuses" and overtime to make their living. At the end of the day, you get what you pay for and I don't know which is worse - losing your warranty on a new vehicle because it was "serviced outside the dealership", or trusting these people to carry out maintenance for you at Western labor rates of $50-$60 an hour. I tend to do my own work whenever possible, or take it to an independent mechanic I've known for many years, but even he can be careless at times, and I end up with scratched paint or broken plastic fasteners.

It is very hard to find an honest mechanic at least where I live. I currently deal with two guys who I trust and find honest, it took years to find them. I use them for state inspections and jobs I'd rather not do.

I was a little annoyed with a recent visit, when I asked what happened to the half+ tank of gas I left my van with. The reply was shockingly honest, and upsetting at the same time. The mechanic told me he was running the van to smoke it for vacuum leaks, he didn't find any. He got called away, and forgot to shut it off. He estimates it ran for about 4 hours until it ran out of gas...................I was not a happy camper, but he did make good on the gas. I guess I'll be changing my oil a little early than I wanted too.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I was a little annoyed with a recent visit, when I asked what happened to the half+ tank of gas I left my van with. The reply was shockingly honest, and upsetting at the same time. The mechanic told me he was running the van to smoke it for vacuum leaks, he didn't find any. He got called away, and forgot to shut it off. He estimates it ran for about 4 hours until it ran out of gas...................I was not a happy camper, but he did make good on the gas. I guess I'll be changing my oil a little early than I wanted too.

Whilst what the guy did was wrong, and I would have been equally annoyed, it takes a lot of courage to step up and say that. Even if they didn't reimburse me for the gas, I would still use their service purely for their honesty.
thumbsup2.gif

Gasoline is used as a "cheap" cleaning agent by the majority of garages here, and they could care less whether it does anything to your seals or not. It's not uncommon for your vehicle to be selected at random for them to run a filthy, grease hose down the filler neck, and take out of a couple of liters of gas for them to use as a cleaning agent. They won't go to the local gas station and buy a reasonable amount of gas, but they will contaminate your gas tank to save money. If you were to ask why the fuel tank reads lower, they'll tell you it "was like that".

A lot of the respectable garages here mark down how much fuel is in the tank when opening a job card, alongside the mileage, any dings and scratches on the paintwork, cracks on the windshield and what's in the car (floor mats, jack, tool, etc.).

I have alway said, "I do my own work!"

But, the fact is, if there is 6" of snow on the ground in February and my car needs a repair, I'll take it to the shop unless it's an easy fix.

I use to have a trusting machanic(over 20 yrs) that I took my vehicles to for repairs when the weather was bad and I really needed the car fixed and I couldn't do the work. His shop has been bought out by another guy and I haven't heard anything good thus far. I have even had 3 bad experiences from taking my vehicles there for state inspection. Suspicious activity!

I'm looking for another trusting mechanic even though I don't require their services very often.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Hmmmm at my engine shop almost every time i give an estimate it is cheaper when they come in to pay the bill... I always give the worst case price but that is why i am super busy and always have engines waiting and i dont have to advertise.. This has been an engine shop since 1948 i had it for 21 years.. No bull no shortcuts no excuses... I tell my people fix it rite the first time or you will be doing it again on your time..
The truth is there are some very honest people in the auto business but there are a lot of crooks also

Crazy, Im having my car towed to your shop if I ever need motor work!
grin2.gif

Not including the chain stores, I think there are simply a lot more bad mechanics than there are dishonest ones.

I think many good mechanics are also trying to keep costs down for their customers, even if in the long term it doesn't make much sense for the vehicle's owner or playing down potential safety issues.

This is timely. My friend just wrote me saying the quotes he is getting to change struts, strut mounts, and stabilizer links is $1100. I could get the parts for $300. This is for an 01 Camry. He's really getting raked.

I want to have an honest and competent mechanic. I do not care if the prices are higher, within reason, if the job gets done properly.

Honest and Competent mechanic is not easy to find anywhere in the world. If you find one nearby you're lucky, don't go anywhere else.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Honest and Competent mechanic is not easy to find anywhere in the world. If you find one nearby you're lucky, don't go anywhere else.

Absolutely.

I occasionally bring the entire shop we use which is only staffed by competent, honest staff and mechanics, doughnuts and coffee!

I like to let them know that they are more than just a business transaction to me. They are like family and good folks really appreciate this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back