Auto maintenance advice from a locksmith?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm visiting my GF in coastal California for a few days and am working on some honey-do things. Yesterday I went to a locksmith to get a deadbolt cylinder re-pinned. There was a customer ahead of me, a woman who was getting a new key made for a recently-acquired early 2000s Honda CR-V.

The locksmith is working in the back, then he comes out and goes to the car. He gets in and starts the car with the newly made key. Then he comes back in and starts questioning the woman about the car: Do you hear that ticking sound when you start it up? Do you know that that's not good, that it means that there are valves in the engine that are blocked and not allowing the oil to flow correctly? He then tells her to go to the auto parts store and get a quart of Lucas oil additive, then take it to the place where she gets her oil changed and have them use it in place of one of the quarts that they would refill the engine with. "I use it all the time," he says, "It makes my truck run like new." She is saying "Uh huh" and nodding and I'm just cringing. To add to his credibility he said that he used to be a mechanic and cited the list of makes that he used to work on.

I would have spoken to her if I had a chance to privately, but she left and I was the next customer. He did not recommend any Lucas oil product to me, either for my lockset or for my GF's aging Celica.

That locksmith goes home thinking he's the nicest person ever. The owner of the CRV is left wondering [censored] is he talking about, you are left feeling bad for her and angry with him.

As Bill Murray would say: " It just doesn't matter!"

She probably forgot what he said by the time she was a couple miles down the road. No harm done.

The locksmith I go to looked at a chip key that I had cut at a hardware store and then proceeded to laugh for a long time. The key was so far off from the original, he figured the key cutting machine was never calibrated.

The good thing is he cut a new one perfectly.

The bad thing is I now have key cutting machine phobia and for the rest of my life I will only feel confident going to this one locksmith as he calibrates his machines every 6 months.

He knows his stuff. Not all do.

I was at Meijer buying oil for one of the kids cars for a spring break oil change. This particular car calls for 0W20. Some individual told me not to put that stuff (0W20) in my engine because it will ruin it. He recommended 10W30 with LOS. I told him this car has had nothing but 0W20 since new and now has over 150,000 miles. He told me I'm playing with fire, and sooner or later was going to ruin the engine. I saw him drive away in a mint condition late 80's, early 90's GMC Safari. He has probably had success with his oil, so it must be good for every car in his eyes.

bdcardinal said:
The locksmiths usually yell at people for having too many things on their keychain. [/quote

That's a real issue. Especially women have enough junk swinging on that key ring that it wrecks the lock cylinder.

Originally Posted by Bud
She probably forgot what he said by the time she was a couple miles down the road. No harm done.

Heck,she probably thought the dude was a total tool and probably didn't even make it two steps away before she forgot what he said haha :p

Was she good looking at least.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Driz
bdcardinal said:
The locksmiths usually yell at people for having too many things on their keychain. [/quote

That's a real issue. Especially women have enough junk swinging on that key ring that it wrecks the lock cylinder.

I have built enought lock cylinders that I know how big of a problem it is. Fortunately I am good at it, unfortunately the techs and service writers at my work and some of my wholesale customers found out I am good at it too.

Originally Posted by Variant_S
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by Trav
Was she good looking at least.
lol.gif

Yeah forreal was she hot??
wink.gif

Sadly, no.

Not all of the women here look like they stepped out of a Beach Boys song.

Right on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back