August 6th 2022, our 45th wedding anniversary!

If there is one thing that you did, or didn't do to make the marriage work.... What was it?
GON, if I had to choose a single word, it would be "commitment". And when I say commitment, that doesn't mean committing yourself to an unhappy marriage. Instead, it means committing yourself to be a good spouse.

Another big one - neither one of us had any doubt about marrying each other. If a person has any doubt, don't do it!

Also important; we didn't go into our marriage wanting to change sometime about each other. We liked each other just the way we were. And I use the word like deliberately. There's love and there's like. They are two different things. You have to have both for a happy marriage.

Scott

Last edited:
GON, if I had to choose a single word, it would be "commitment". And when I say commitment, that doesn't mean committing yourself to an unhappy marriage. Instead, it means committing yourself to be a good spouse.

Another big one - neither one of us had any doubt about marrying each other. If a person has any doubt, don't do it!

Also important; we didn't go into our marriage wanting to change sometime about each other. We liked each other just the way we were. And I use the word like deliberately. There's love and there's like. They are two different things. You have to have both for a happy marriage.

Scott

Scott I agree! My wife and I had 3 “rules” when we got married 22+ years ago.

1 if it doesn’t matter tomorrow don’t fight about it
2 never go to bed mad
3 we said forever amen for better or worse.

Just my $0.02

Back