Audio updates on old headunits

Quote:
If I just put new speakers in, wont the sensitivity be inadequate for the power rating of these old head units (what do they put out, maybe 6W?), and then compromise sound?

Even though yours may be slightly problematic due to the size of the speakers most modern speakers are quite efficient. When shopping look at the sensitivity figure; higher is better. Also consider the possibility of slightly larger speakers if that is possible. My car uses 5.25" speakers but 6.5" fit with minor modification. I am limited to turning the headlights on and off (a Master Moron) so a pro shop does all of my work but I research all the components.....some I buy from the shop & some I don't.

Why not start with speakers and go from there? Seems like the simplest thing to do and best bang for the buck. Give them some break in time, evaluate, and go from there.

Which they don't have at our library.

I think my question is fairly simple at this point - what is the problem with running the OE headunit to amps and better speakers? Is it a line voltage issue? A signal cleanliness issue? A sound flavoring issue? What if the hu has eq functions?

I see lots Of recommendation for hu, but no real clear explanation why and why it cannot be overcome.

I don't think the Becker radios MB used were ever "low quality", and mine are refurbished by the manufacturer.

Fwiw, I cannot stand the look of 99% of single.DIN headunits on the market, especially since none match the amber interior gauge lights for my BMW.
So, I splurged on a Pioneer AVIC double din 7" touchscreen unit, sans nav, and I absolutely love it. I hate the flip up ones, but the double din units integrate perfectly, and mine has a bezel that is barely there. I love the aux inputs, one of which is wired to have the connector in the glove compartment (iPod) and the other wired to the center console where the cupholders would be (I have the "Euro" center w sliding.covered tray), and I can simply plug in my phone (it is a 3-way, with Mini HDMI, USB, and 3.5mm audio jack, and a converter that can turn the USB into iPod-type; same deal in glovebox).
This lets me use my phone's Google Maps navigation, media, internet radio, and handsfree calling (as well as keeping it charged).
It also has fantastic sound quality, even when I had the stock speakers. It has only gotten better with all new higher end audio equipment.

These can be had for less than you might think, especially if.you forego Nav and wire the aux cleverly instead. I have never regretted it, and it even impresses friends
wink.gif

You can certainly run the speaker level outputs from your head unit into many amps that have those inputs. Also, to retain the proper "look" I just installed a Blaupunkt Bremen 46 into an older car. It has modern features with the old-school single din look.

what is the problem with running the OE headunit to amps and better speakers?

Nothing, but it sounds like adding an amp may be a needless complication. Get some good speakers (high sensitivity and lowest RMS wattage specs you can find that are within the head-unit’s safe impedance range) and see if they are enough. If not, get a small amp to power them. Done.

Hi,

I have two old MB cars, an 81 and an 82, both are all original. One has an original digital becker headunit, the other an analog one.

Both will have ipon aux inputs in them in the near future (one already does). Not sure if it works on RF or somehow isolates the radio and inputs directly into the amplifier, similar to how the cassette tape functionality in the units works.

Anyway, I will NOT replace these head units with new-tech. Period. Here is an example of just how ugly-gawdy an aftermarket headunit can look in an older euro car - yuck!

photo2hfe.jpg

So Im stuck in the pickle of being "stuck" with the output of a refurbished 30yo head unit.

So how do I upgrade my sound system? Just send that to an amp to better speakers? Add some kind of intermediate box that "cleans" the signal?

I will say that I am happy with the sound in these two cars as is, with paper speakers and old silver plated spade connectors. Im concerned more with sound quality than SPL, and while I want to hear good, clean mid-range musical bass, I dont care to have every bass drum beat punching me in the back. I dont play loud, there is a good amount of road noise compared to a modern car, etc.

I amplified the front 5 1/4 component speakers in my BMW, and with a good amp setup, I see the benefits of moving to a bit newer speaker setup. There are some issues with that system that I think can be overcome by doing it complete and right (e.g. the rear speakers are not amplified, and I think that in some situations things get a bit boomy, yet not clear). I dont mind spending money, though one of the two cars is more a garage queen than a driver, so while I want to play radio/music when cruising, I dont want to spend a ton. If I spent $500/car, I think that would be on the high end and my wife wouldnt like it...

Can anyone help me to get off on the right foot so that when I go talk to the local stereo guy, I have some semblance of knowing what I am talking about?

Thanks!
These are not the cheapest, but they will present by far the least impact to keeping everything "looking" stock. Upgrade your speakers. Stick these in the doors (or nearby and hidden). They take the power that's on the speaker wire itself to run the amp, and will actually deliver the rated power.

You keep your head unit with ipod input, these things in each door provide the power, and pick whatever speakers you'd like! Best of all worlds!
Rockford Fosgate "powerless" amps

Back