Audi 2.7TT Recommendation

Hello and good day fellow enthusiasts,

Here goes my first post on BITOG......

I recently purchased a B5 S4 and was wondering what the recommended oil type is for this car? The motor shares design similarities with the Audi 3.2 V6 (not to be confused with the 3.2 VR6 for transverse Audi/VW applications), except the 3.2 is not turbocharged. I found a few oil threads related to the 2.7TT, however, these oil threads are older and considering all the recent reformulations that modern day recommendations may be different now?

Currently, in my wife's 8V S3 and my supercharged 4M Q7 I have consistently used Castrol 0w40 with periodic trials of Liqui Moly Molygen, Motul Xcess Gen 2 and Rotella 5w40 T6. I always revert back to the Castrol due to oil temperatures trending on the cooler side and the motors seem quieter. The price point of Castrol is tough to beat given that I change the oil in the Q7 every 4k and the S3 gets an oil change every 6 months due to time and not mileage. The S3 is almost 6 years old but only has about 22k miles on the odometer while the Q7 is a 2018 and has 45k miles.

I was thinking of the following oils for the B5: Castrol 0w40, Mobil 0w40 FS, Mobil 0w40 FSx2 or Rotella 5w40 T6. The previous owner of the B5 used Total Quartz 9000 Energy 5w40 in conjunction with the Archoil AR9100 Friction Modifier additive. I have never really used additives and have utilized oils in their native formula.

What would you recommend?

I don't have the manual and the car isnt delivered yet to check under hood labels, however, I remember reading somewhere that it's VW 502 approval.

The manual is probably available online if you look.

Buy the least expensive you you find that carries the required approval. You may be able to find one at Walmart.

Look in the manual when you get it or find it and see if Audi recommends additives to be added to the oil.

congrats on the new S4! those specific two-sevens are torque monters.

if it were my car, id stick to the approved audi oils, starting with castrol 0w40. if not that, then maybe a bit more "boutique" amsoil signature series 0w40/5w40.

Technically the owner's manual will say VW502.00

The 2 K03's on the 2.7TT is pretty problematic and they are not cheap to replace.

Mobil 1 0W-40 is what I used on my 2001.5 S4 back in the days and even with the new formulation, I would still use it today if I still have the car.

When the B5-S4 was first released back in 2000, IIRC, the recommended oil in the manual was 5W-30 for the US cars as 0W-30 was not available here. As a result of that, the US market cars were having issue with oil supply to the K03s which was believed to have lead to the turbos failing. Among other updates, the oil line was updated for the 2001.5+ cars, Mobil 1 0W-30 became available and became the recommended oil in the manual. However, not long after, Mobil released the 0W-40 but it was only available through Porsche dealerships which lots of us ended up buying them from and switched to. After the S4, my DD was a S5 Cabriolet which has a 3.0 Supercharged engine and even know it says Castrol on the oil cap, the local Audi dealerships stayed with Mobil 1 0W-40 as the oil of choice.

My opinion is, don’t over analyze it. Use full synthetic 0W-40 oil from the brand of your choice and you will be fine. Especially if you decided take the car to Stage 3 with K04 turbos like I did.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the recommendations. Apologies for the delayed reply as I didn't even realize there were additional posts in the thread. I believe the car is considered stage 3+, because it has fueling upgrades?

Modifications consists of first gen hybrid rs6 turbochargers, awe intercoolers and shrouds, bosch 044 fuel pump, injectors (not sure of flow rate spec), setrab oil cooler, sachs clutch upgrade and some other mods. It shipped today and it should be here tomorrow.

Below is a link to the original for sale thread on audizine...

Disregard the for sale thread post. The original owner removed the photos and build description....

Attached some photos here for you all to view...

Attachments

• Audizine Forum-1698494169.jpeg
    Audizine Forum-1698494169.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Audizine Forum-508795747.jpeg
    Audizine Forum-508795747.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Audizine Forum-79613889.jpeg
    Audizine Forum-79613889.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Audizine Forum1717418923.jpeg
    Audizine Forum1717418923.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Audizine Forum-2053846027.jpeg
    Audizine Forum-2053846027.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Audizine Forum597316181.jpeg
    Audizine Forum597316181.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Audizine Forum-953418268.jpeg
    Audizine Forum-953418268.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Audizine Forum920621781.jpeg
    Audizine Forum920621781.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Audizine Forum812905763.jpeg
    Audizine Forum812905763.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Audizine Forum290020801.jpeg
    Audizine Forum290020801.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 28
Ordered, S3 is due for a 6 month change and the B5 will get changed at the same time this weekend.
Screenshot_20211117-144850_Gmail.jpg

Thank you everyone for the recommendations. Apologies for the delayed reply as I didn't even realize there were additional posts in the thread. I believe the car is considered stage 3+, because it has fueling upgrades?

Modifications consists of first gen hybrid rs6 turbochargers, awe intercoolers and shrouds, bosch 044 fuel pump, injectors (not sure of flow rate spec), setrab oil cooler, sachs clutch upgrade and some other mods. It shipped today and it should be here tomorrow.

Below is a link to the original for sale thread on audizine...

Reading your post brings back a lot of memories. Fueling upgrade is part of Stage 3, and as for the hybrid RS6 turbos, they are just K04s that are modified to fit the 2.7T. So IIRC, and unless it has changed since 2011, that is still considered just Stage 3 by most.

Incidentally, this thread was created yesterday on an update to the Mobil 1 0W-40. Which if you are very particular about oil, this may make a difference in your decision on which brand to go with. ( https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/updated-m1-fs-0w-40-more-pao.347965/ ).

I was actually reading though that thread a few minutes ago about the possible new m1 formulation.

The B5 that i purchased is a Chicago / Autospeed build from the mid 2000s. Yea, I could be completely wrong about the "+" aspect and it being just a normal stage 3 car. I'm at the bottom of the learning curve on this platform. I'm super excited for the B5 experience. It's been a dream that is slowly becoming reality.

I was actually reading though that thread a few minutes ago about the possible new m1 formulation.

The B5 that i purchased is a Chicago / Autospeed build from the mid 2000s. Yea, I could be completely wrong about the "+" aspect and it being just a normal stage 3 car. I'm at the bottom of the learning curve on this platform. I'm super excited for the B5 experience. It's been a dream that is slowly becoming reality.

I remember the name Autospeed. IIRC, they arrived later at the scene and while not being one of the big boys, they were definitely in play. I remember two products from them specifically, one being the bracket for the OEM RS4 ICs and the other, something to do with the intake. Because at the time when I was deciding on which Stage 3 tuner to go with, I remember another new tuner at the time, European Performance Lab, were using Autospeed part in their kit, which created some tension and drama. The B5-S4 communities were far from being drama free as it was a great platform for modification, especially with RS4 setting as the standard and guide, it was a great marketing opportunity for several tuners and fabricators. Not sure how many of them are still around but it was pretty wild back in the days. Anyway, you will love the S4, it is a great car. But just like any other modified car, they are only as great as their parts and tune. Found two photos of my car. It was purchased in NYC at the started of my residency, drove her home back to Seattle after. Feel free to ask me questions about the B5-S4 if you have any, it has been a long time but I will do my best to answer them. BTW, I think the stages were: Stage 1 = ECU tuning, Stage 2: Add CBE. Stage 2.5 or 2+: Add either aftermarket DPs or modified DPs with relocated O2 sensors which were commonly referred to as piggie pipes. Stage 3: Upgrade to K04 or other larger turbo kits. Are you located in the Mid-West area?

S4-1A.jpg

S4-2.JPG

First and foremost, your former Laser Red is a beautiful example! Thank you for the offer on helping answer questions! That is really nice of you!

The B5 I purchased spent the first 20 years of its life in the Midwest. Second owner that I purchased from lived in Wisconsin. I'm on Long Island, NY and the car is being shipped here.

I have big long term plans for the car from full restoration and paint, tubular subframes and possibly 24v VR6T build. Playing around with the idea of building the 2.7T but I'm seeing threads of blocks cracking. Not sure if girdle install will help or if it's the builders who made errors in the short block assembly. My power goals are about 600 to 650whp on e85 and build the powertrain for at least 800whp/torque to ensure reliability.

First and foremost, your former Laser Red is a beautiful example! Thank you for the offer on helping answer questions! That is really nice of you!

The B5 I purchased spent the first 20 years of its life in the Midwest. Second owner that I purchased from lived in Wisconsin. I'm on Long Island, NY and the car is being shipped here.

I have big long term plans for the car from full restoration and paint, tubular subframes and possibly 24v VR6T build. Playing around with the idea of building the 2.7T but I'm seeing threads of blocks cracking. Not sure if girdle install will help or if it's the builders who made errors in the short block assembly. My power goals are about 600 to 650whp on e85 and build the powertrain for at least 800whp/torque to ensure reliability.

Thank you.

Just remembered what part it was from Autospeed that EPL "borrowed", it was the MAF housing. Since you are on LI, IIRC, EPL is located in CT, you can see if the owner, I think his name is Tony, can still give you some ideas on build. Or AWE, I think they are in PA. If I may, why 24v VR6T engine? I don't remember it being a better engine than the 2.7T, but I am no expert when it comes to engines. Anyway, looking forward to seeing your build, if you plan on documenting your build here on BITOG that is.

I remember Autospeed, in NJ. They had some nice parts that they made in-house, which some where copies of other companies (like the front chassis brace). Their exhaust turbo manifolds... their welding jigs were pretty complex.

AWE is in PA, over around Willow Grove.

Thank you.

Just remembered what part it was from Autospeed that EPL "borrowed", it was the MAF housing. Since you are on LI, IIRC, EPL is located in CT, you can see if the owner, I think his name is Tony, can still give you some ideas on build. Or AWE, I think they are in PA. If I may, why 24v VR6T engine? I don't remember it being a better engine than the 2.7T, but I am no expert when it comes to engines. Anyway, looking forward to seeing your build, if you plan on documenting your build here on BITOG that is.
I spoke to some people regarding EPL support on the B5 and they said they have attempted to reach out to Tony but did not receive replies. I would guess the overall lack of B5 customers and the more mainstream B8/B8.5 and B9 platform keeps them very busy.

As far as motor opinions, a lot of people have been comparing the VW VR6 motor as an almost equivalent to the infamous Japanese 2JZGTE motor. I've come across videos and threads of enthusiasts refreshing junkyard 3.2L 24v VR6s with a head spacer, fueling, intercooler and tune netting about 650 to 700whp and running in the mid to upper 10s @ the 130mpg range (standing 1/4 mile). I am thinking of doing a build thread to document my experiences and modifications with the B5 so I'll share the thread with you when I get around to creating it.

I would look into what the manufacture recommends, then chose an oil from a major oil company that meets the recommendations.

Back