Audi 1.8T: Should I stop using GC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One other consideration for my fellow 1.8T owners: According to a VW tech, VWoA recently issued a TSB which disqualifies all of us DIY oil changers from the 8-year sludge warranty. Since I run the oversize filter with Mobil 1 0W-40 on a 3K mile / 5K km OCI, I really don't worry about sludge, even with my wife's typical urban driving.

SynPower 5w-30 does not belong on AoA's list. I discussed this with a helpfull Valvoline Tech. It ONLY meets 502 in Euro Formulation.

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
SynPower 5w-30 does not belong on AoA's list. I discussed this with a helpfull Valvoline Tech. It ONLY meets 502 in Euro Formulation.

Yep. Valvoline you can commonly get here does not meet spec. Their list needs some serious review and re-work. I'd be pretty certain that Valvoline has advised them of this error in the past.

Sludge sludge where does it come from?

Whats the whole point of the 502.00 oil? 10,000 mile or once a year oil change interval!

Just change the oil more frequently and use a synthetic since its a turbo.

I guess the oil list is to prevent 1.8t owners from going to jippylube and crying about the sludge or roasted engine in the future.

Two of my neighbors have 1.8t Passats. Both have issues. You should of seen the glee of happiness when they noticed the 10k OCI recommendation in the owners manual. Too bad that noone figured that a quality oil is needed for it. They laughed when I recommended a synthetic like Mobil1/Amsoil/Redline.....for those overly extended OCIs.
I guess that the $19.99 jippylube visit or the 12-quart case of store brand oil for $10.99 just doesn't cut it for a 10k OCI!

I myself have looked at several used Audis(would love the AWD in the winter). After confirming that most used vehicles are generally poorly maintained by clueless owners, I'll probably be getting a Subaru instead.

I have no pity for sludged engine owners or those who preach "follow the owners manuals recommendations" that I see often here and elsewhere. The manual's recommendations aren't working!

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
John E,

There is no such TSB - and it would be against the law if there was anyway.

Ted

True. If a manufacturer mandates a specific oil, they must also provide it free of charge. They can require specific specs. be met, but they cannot say only a dealer can do the work, unless it is free.

Undummy, I think we have to be realistic, but we have to also hold the manufacturer's and their dealers fully accountable. If they say 10K, then the public has a right to expect it. Otherwise it fraudulent.

VW recommended 5,000 mile intervals on all their 1.8T 20 Valve (Jetta, Golf, GTI, Passat, New Beetle) it was only Audi that allowed the 10k intervals on the same engine (TT, A4).

Well.... my 2000 Jetta 1.8T owners manual specifies 15,000 kms service interval. It also indicates that it comes factory-filled with 5w-40 oil. That oil weight is recommended for all-season use, as well.

John.

There's no trick to checking a 1.8t for sludge.

My female friend has Passat turbo coming off-lease, it never saw anthing except GC! (@7500mi)
grin.gif
I told her to keep it and negotiate a ~reduced~ buyout.

On the other hand, my female cousin has a Passat too, she is going on her 2nd sludged engine after recently declining my Pela oil extractor services. Her Flight Engineer/Pilot husband announced "we just changed it" although a month later an alternator breakdown presented an opportunity for me to make a "scientific inquiry". 1q low, extra black oil and a booger of sludge on the dipstick.. Umm, ok. Do you think I added any?
nono.gif
I simply added air (15lbs>35lbs) to the "new" Cooper tires so her young nephew did not crash while driving it to her after the alt repair.
banghead.gif

I use Mobil1 T&S 5w-40. I have no problems with it. I also use the MANN filters. Audi TTQR 225. Daily driver now that the gas prices are high. 44 miles one way to work everyday. This car has 98% highway driving and rarely sees DC. All beltway to the office. I do 5000 mile OCI's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back