ATV Oil Help

I recently purchased a Yamaha Moto 4 Champ 100cc 4wheeler for my son. I’m not exactly sure what year it is but it’s between 87-91. The service manual shows many different types and weights of oil can be used. I planned to run 10W40 but the API ratings is what’s confusing me. It says API SE or API SF. Im having a hard time finding API SE/SF. Can I use a API SP instead?

Also would you suggest a Conventional Oil, Synthetic Blend or Full Synthetic?

image.jpg

Thanks Wayne

Last edited:
You will be fine with a 10W40. I believe that ATV has a wet clutch, so you may want to use something that is JASO MA rated or motorcycle specific. It only holds a qt so cost isn't that different anyway between Synthetic or Conventional. I have used conventional Valvoline 10W40 Motorcycle oil with good results (~$5qt), and M1 4T 10W40 full syn (~$10). Wal-Mart also has a SuperTech 10W40 Full Syn motorcycle oil for about $7-8 that I have never tried but should be fine. A lot of people use Shell Rotella T4 15W40. It is a diesel oil that is JASO MA rated and a lot of people use it in bikes and ATVs, but diesel oil is a little hard to find now.

You will be fine with a 10W40. I believe that ATV has a wet clutch, so you may want to use something that is JASO MA rated or motorcycle specific. It only holds a qt so cost isn't that different anyway between Synthetic or Conventional. I have used conventional Valvoline 10W40 Motorcycle oil with good results (~$5qt), and M1 4T 10W40 full syn (~$10). Wal-Mart also has a SuperTech 10W40 Full Syn motorcycle oil for about $7-8 that I have never tried but should be fine. A lot of people use Shell Rotella T4 15W40. It is a diesel oil that is JASO MA rated and a lot of people use it in bikes and ATVs, but diesel oil is a little hard to find now.
My Honda requires a oil for wet clutches but this bike doesn’t state anything about that.

I don’t mind using a JASO MA but if I was to use a 10W40 can I use API SP in place of API SE/SF?

Wayne

My Honda requires a oil for wet clutches but this bike doesn’t state anything about that.

I don’t mind using a JASO MA but if I was to use a 10W40 can I use API SP in place of API SE/SF?

Wayne
Yes, the later specs supersede the older ones. I am about 100% certain that ATV has a wet clutch though. Why not use the same stuff that you do in your Honda? I have had some bikes that don't seem to care about oil type and some that have had clutch problems, so I just go with a wet clutch compatible and save the hassle.

I recently purchased a Yamaha Moto 4 Champ 100cc 4wheeler for my son. I’m not exactly sure what year it is but it’s between 87-91. The service manual shows many different types and weights of oil can be used. I planned to run 10W40 but the API ratings is what’s confusing me. It says API SE or API SF. Im having a hard time finding API SE/SF. Can I use a API SP instead?

Also would you suggest a Conventional Oil, Synthetic Blend or Full Synthetic?

View attachment 101146

Thanks Wayne
Personally Wayne,
I'd through a quart of 15W/40 Rotella in your ATV and call it a day. It's a heavy duty oil that works great with wet clutches!

I mentioned T4 in my reply, but diesel oil isn't the easiest to find in stock now. 15W40 seems more readily available that 5W40 though.

I have no problem putting Honda oil in it, I just didn’t know if it was the correct oil.

I appreciate all the help fellas. To clarify is Rotella 15W40 the same as Rotella T4 15W40 or is it two different types of oil?

Wayne

I have no problem putting Honda oil in it, I just didn’t know if it was the correct oil.

I appreciate all the help fellas. To clarify is Rotella 15W40 the same as Rotella T4 15W40 or is it two different types of oil?

Wayne
Any 4-stroke motorcycle type oil in the correct viscosity range will work in your application Wayne no matter the brand.
Yup, Rotella is the same as T4, but you could use any of the major brands of 15w-40... not just Rotella. Not all brands of 14w-40 are "certified" to meet Jaso MA, but they are all formulated to the same requirement. If you've got a Wally-World around, you could even use Supertech 14w-40.

Any 4-stroke motorcycle type oil in the correct viscosity range will work in your application Wayne no matter the brand.
Yup, Rotella is the same as T4, but you could use any of the major brands of 15w-40... not just Rotella. Not all brands of 14w-40 are "certified" to meet Jaso MA, but they are all formulated to the same requirement. If you've got a Wally-World around, you could even use Supertech 14w-40.
yes. same stuff

I had a Moto 4 200 from 89. As kids we beat the snot out of it and fed it a semi-intermittent diet of Rotella 15w-40. Last I knew it was still running around somewhere.

Back