ATV engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my new-to-me Suzuki quad runner, it gives some indication of what oil to use in the owners manual, but just indicates SF or the similar (don't remember off-hand, but it's from 1994, so whatever was in spec back then). Nothing about motorcycle specific oil nor ATV specific oil. I haven't looked at a service manual yet but I'm assuming there is a clutch inside the oil? Casual surfing indicates that some are using motorcycle engine oil, others aren't.

I'm not sure what is good vs best, and as an older machine I'm not finding a lot of info.

If I dig through the manual and find that it's a dry clutch, then I'm guessing standard motor oil is ok; but if it's a wet clutch should I use something else? I've seen a mention about JASO-Msomething rating.

Yep, use JASO rated oil if it has a wet clutch. Dry clutch use your favorite oil. Be sure to use the specified viscosity for the temperatures you will experience.

1994 Suzuki Quadrunner has a wet clutch.

Valvoline 4stroke 10w40 from Walmart its around $7/qt.

If you want to walk on the wild side you can use Rotella 15w40. I put 3500 miles on my Teryx with a wet clutch and it loved it.

Thanks! I will do that. I was thinking of using 5W30 as I hope to use it this winter, but then again, if I wind up using for plowing, it will be warm out and the motor under load, so maybe 10W40 would be the right choice after all.

[Linked Image]

Walmart has Quicksilver full syn MC oil in various grades. My local store doesn't carry it, so I ordered it from their website. Seems to work well, and the price is decent.

Originally Posted by sunruh
blah blah blah buncha blathering

now for real info

Shell Rotella T 15w40 white jug. about $15 per gallon at walmart

? Not sure what you're driving at.

15W40 sounds too thick though for 0F.

Hmm, interesting. I'll contemplate it, but I suspect I'd rather go thinner all the same. In the cold weather that is.

I used Mobil 1 0w-40 in my 650cc Can-am quad for years. Worked just fine summer and winter.

Originally Posted by totegoat
I used Mobil 1 0w-40 in my 650cc Can-am quad for years. Worked just fine summer and winter.

I'm not against the 40 part, more against the 15W part.

Is yours a wet clutch?

Hmm, looks like it'll get Rotella T4 15W40 for now, couldn't find much of anything at Walmart (other than some stuff at $9 per quart, no thanks), not sure what is in there but I'm guessing auto 5W30 (based on a post-it that is in the owner's manual). If I get it running this weekend I'll change it.

I ran rotella t-6 5/40 in my suzuki for years it loved it never burned a drop and started good in the cold and worked good in the heat.

If you're going to use it below 0° Fahrenheit go with the 5w30, Suzuki recommends it as well. Says nothing about any JASO rating so pick a good one from the shelf at Walmart. 5W30 is good for almost up to 90 degrees F once it warms up as well so could take you well into the beginning of warmer months.

My only thought with the 5w40 is it will shear down to a 5w30 in short order, at least based on other shared sump analysis I've seen. I would go with a 5w30 dino for the winter months, doesn't matter what it shears down to as you probably won't use it as much in the winter, and change it out for the 15w40 you have when it gets warmer.

Originally Posted by FastGame
What's wrong with Shell Rotella T6 5w40 ?

I have been running this in my 2003 Grizzly for winter duty since it was new. Wet clutch. Sure spins over nice after sitting in the cold shed.

Originally Posted by FastGame
What's wrong with Shell Rotella T6 5w40 ?

I don't understand the JASO stuff; T6 didn't say JASO-MA or JASO-MA2, only that it was JASO-DH2. I don't see where DH2 succeeds MAx, so I went T4 for now. I don't see myself using below 0F, maybe not even below 10F; it's too cold to snow, and it'll be too cold for me too!

From what little I can tell, JASO stuff didn't exist in 1994 (the data of this machine) so they couldn't spec it. But in the following years more and more anti-friction additives were getting added to automotive motor oil, thus leading to a need for motorcycle oil. Hence this MAx stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back