ATV engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been discussed a lot, any of the HDEO'S are going to be okay in any wet clutch. I have yet to hear of a single one that's caused an issue.

I have used Motorcraft 15w40 diesel oil, T6 5w40, T5 15w40, T4 15w40, Mystic 15w50 diesel oil, Delo 15w40, Napa 15w50 syn, Castrol 15w40 diesel oil, Mobil 1 15w50 as well as many MC specific oils. All of those in a shared sump and nary an issue. ðŸ‘

So I swung back into wallyworld this morning, to see what I had found last week. No T6, that is why I didn't buy it. T5 only says DH2. I did some poking around last night, and it does appear that HDEO is what most are using. So I guess I'll just shop on that basis. This atv did sit for a few years, and the oil that came out did seem a bit off (lots of gas, like old OPE), so I'll do the usual BITOG thing where I do some short OCI's until my OCD is satisfied.
lol.gif

Edit: when I looked last night I did see that Rotella does list MA in their spec sheets, maybe just not on their bottles. Dunno. But it sounds like I could use either. I'll probably switch to 10W40, see how that cranks this winter--if it cranks fine I'll just leave it be.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Rotella T5 doesn't list the JASO spec, T4 and T6 do. Any of the HDEO oils will work in your ATV. If you're going to use 15w40 grab the SuperTech (it's good oil) and be happy.

Originally Posted by FastGame
Rotella T5 doesn't list the JASO spec, T4 and T6 do. Any of the HDEO oils will work in your ATV. If you're going to use 15w40 grab the SuperTech (it's good oil) and be happy.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by sunruh
"cl-4 plus" is the allison wet clutch cert.

HUH?!! - No.

The "CI-4 PLUS" designation identifies oils formulated to provide a higher level of protection against soot-related viscosity increase and viscosity loss due to shear in diesel engines. When originally introduced, CI-4 PLUS identified CI-4 oils meeting a higher level of performance.

I had a mid 90s King Quad.. also in that era I had a Brute Force and a Grizzly. Back in those days the same discussions on forums yielded about the same answers. Some people used Rotella, some people used 10w40 and some people only used OEM. I dont think there was a 5w40 back then..or i dont remember it.

All of these oils cost about the same as Valvoline ATV 10w40 at walmart. $4.54/qt

[Linked Image from goods.kaypu.com]

Originally Posted by FastGame

Supertech has a good additive package, no flies on that stuff.

I have said and I will say again T5 15w40 is fine for a wet clutch. We're kidding ourselves if we think there is something in it that t4 and t6 don't have. All HDEOS are made basically the same way, you will not have a problem with any of them in a 15w40. I used T5 and many others that aren't JASO rated on the bottle in my ZRX1200, 145 horses and 87 foot pounds to the rear wheel in its current state of tune.

T4 didn't list the JASO spec for about a billion miles over decades of use in shared sumps.

I'm going to be honest, I don't use any of the HDEO's anymore in the ZRX. I can go 5,000 miles or longer with Mobil 1 MC specific oil in 20w50 or 10w40 and not sacrifice shift quality and have good uoa's with plenty of TBN remaining.

However with that said the dino HDEO's are great, IMO, if it's an older air-cooled engine that pollutes oil with blow by and endures great heat, such as my Yamaha XS 1100. Yamaha called for 2500 mile change intervals and shift quality was falling off at that point. I did run dino HDEO in that bike.

Huh, that prods me to ask, what is a good interval to change at? 100 hours? 25? I did pick up an hour meter and I have nearly... one hour of run time.
smile.gif
The bike itself has 854 miles, so I'm guessing hours is probably way smarter to go by!

Originally Posted by supton
Huh, that prods me to ask, what is a good interval to change at? 100 hours? 25? I did pick up an hour meter and I have nearly... one hour of run time.
smile.gif
The bike itself has 854 miles, so I'm guessing hours is probably way smarter to go by!

I have to dope slap myself here--manual says every 600 miles or 3 months.

Originally Posted by tundraotto
Originally Posted by sunruh
"cl-4 plus" is the allison wet clutch cert.

HUH?!! - No.

The "CI-4 PLUS" designation identifies oils formulated to provide a higher level of protection against soot-related viscosity increase and viscosity loss due to shear in diesel engines. When originally introduced, CI-4 PLUS identified CI-4 oils meeting a higher level of performance.

my typo bad

its just C4

https://fdlrd.swri.org/Allison/ApprovedFluidsList.aspx?Id=1

Rotella T6 is great stuff. Ran the snot out of that in my old CBR600RR. Like many have said: ANY 40w diesel specific oil will work, wet clutch or not. The 10w-40 moto stuff is really good too. Better? Probably not. But Amsoil MCV makes me think it is. I've always ran synthetic in "fun" vehicles. In wet sump applications I like to pretend they shift better and they DO take the heat better. Oh. For the JASO stuff: MA means wet clutch compatable. MA2 means...more wet clutch compatable. https://www.oilspecifications.org/articles/JASO_MA_JASO_MB.php Don't hurt your brain too much doing stupid JASO research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back