Atp 205 in enginefor preventive maintenance

Good morning,

I would like to know if atp 205 reseal wpuld help for preventive maintenance in keeping seals in enginé like rear main andvale seals in good condition even if the engine doesnt leak. I did see a thread here on bitog about this though it got closed and someone said if it doesnt leak dont use it and no explanation for thi phrase. Atp reseal preventative maintenance?

Cheers

The old saying is, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

Meaning, that well-intentioned attempts to “fix“ something often result in breaking it. Time and effort expended, with a degraded machine as a result.

If your seals aren’t leaking then, no, I wouldn’t add a seal conditioner.

You‘re suggesting “preventive maintenance” - but however you choose to label it, you’re trying to fix something that ain’t broke. Seals dont really benefit from “conditioning“.

Unless you’re reading what a seal conditioner salesman has written…

Some of the more knowledgeable people on this board have commented that 'regular' oil even has a certain amount of seal conditioners in them, which is required by the guidelines it must meet.

However, many go ahead and switch to a high mileage oil preventatively. Not an additive, but just a good high mileage oil. I think that if that doesn't prevent or stop the leak, then it's just going to need to be fixed. Some seals start leaking due to damage that can't be fixed whether it was just a less than perfect seal, perhaps the vehicle doesn't get driven enough to keep the seals pliable, etc.

The old saying is, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

Meaning, that well-intentioned attempts to “fix“ something often result in breaking it. Time and effort expended, with a degraded machine as a result.

If your seals aren’t leaking then, no, I wouldn’t add a seal conditioner.

You‘re suggesting “preventive maintenance” - but however you choose to label it, you’re trying to fix something that ain’t broke. Seals dont really benefit from “conditioning“.

Unless you’re reading what a seal conditioner salesman has written…
I did see a video of scotty kilmer recommending using atp 205 reseal on rubber suspension parts as preventative maintenance; if rubber suspension parts can get maintenance, what would make the rubber engine seals not warrant maintenenace?

The best thing to do with rubber suspension bushings is leave them alone and when worn out replace them, that's it. ATP 205 is pure solvent that swells and softens rubber, why would you do that to suspension rubber? Just because that loony tune does it doesnt mean you should.
These type of products are not seal conditioners they are seal swellers. Some even have particles in them that supposedly fills cracks in rubber seals which is wishful thinking and advertising spin. Regular oil changes are the best thing to do for your engines seals, if one develops a leak replace it, there is no point in blowing and weakening every other seal in the engine up like an elephants trunk for no reason.

If the engine uses silicone FIP gaskets solvent is the last thing you want in there, you just got yourself a whole bunch of leaks from all over the place.
Just say no to snake oil and scotty kilmer. LOL

If you're worried about seals just use a high mileage oil meeting the appropriate weight or certifications...

Leave that junk out of your oil. As @Jackson_Slugger slugger said: if you're worried about seals use a HM oil. Or as also stated, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I did see a video of scotty kilmer recommending using atp 205 reseal on rubber suspension parts as preventative maintenance; if rubber suspension parts can get maintenance, what would make the rubber engine seals not warrant maintenenace?
FB_IMG_1658318717152.jpg

Well, SK does some weird things, but that doesn't mean you should.

What makes you think that Rubber suspension parts are made of the same elastomer as engine valve stem seals or rear main seals???

All engine oils have a chemistry in their DI package that swells engine seals to a certain percentage according to accepted industry standard tests.

If you add additional seal swell agents you make a seal swell more than needed, and the end result is to accelerate wear of the lips (rear main seals) and bores (valve stem seals). Don't do it!

Last edited:
just ordered some mobil 1 0w40 European car formula for a 1990 toyota corolla 1.8 diesel with about 170,000 miles. if it leaks i ordered also some atp 205 in case this oil causes leaks.

just ordered some mobil 1 0w40 European car formula for a 1990 toyota corolla 1.8 diesel with about 170,000 miles. if it leaks i ordered also some atp 205 in case this oil causes leaks.
Oils don't cause leaks. Worn rear main seals cause leaks and worn valve stem seals may cause oil consumption and smoking on startup.

Engine seals aren't rubber.

Oils don't cause leaks. Worn rear main seals cause leaks and worn valve stem seals may cause oil consumption and smoking on startup.
I have it under good authority that synthetic oil will cause oil leaks for cars that lived on dino stiff... Right?
Just kidding; don't confuse me with the facts!

Interesting idea. I was thinking the same
Good morning,

I would like to know if atp 205 reseal wpuld help for preventive maintenance in keeping seals in enginé like rear main andvale seals in good condition even if the engine doesnt leak. I did see a thread here on bitog about this though it got closed and someone said if it doesnt leak dont use it and no explanation for thi phrase. Atp reseal preventative maintenance?

Cheers
I was thinking the same thing as you. My thoughts are.....all seals that I have replaced in my cars were very hard. like hard brittle plastic. They leack because they are hard, they shrink & allow oil past. I use High mileage oils & they don't seem to help. Soooo, if you're car is at 10 years old or 80-90k miles, and NOT leaking "YET", it soon will be. By adding a bottle of AT-205 you would preemptively softening & swelling the seals (Valve Cover, valve guide seals, front & rear seals) to extend the life. Just my thoughts.....

Like a lot of people will tell you you might want to check your PCV valves also. Lots of leaks come from vacuum issues rather than seals. Leaving an oil in for longer than you should or use a subpar quality oil can cause leaks.

Interesting idea. I was thinking the same

I was thinking the same thing as you. My thoughts are.....all seals that I have replaced in my cars were very hard. like hard brittle plastic. They leack because they are hard, they shrink & allow oil past. I use High mileage oils & they don't seem to help. Soooo, if you're car is at 10 years old or 80-90k miles, and NOT leaking "YET", it soon will be. By adding a bottle of AT-205 you would preemptively softening & swelling the seals (Valve Cover, valve guide seals, front & rear seals) to extend the life. Just my thoughts.....
Which HM oils have you used? If anything, Liqui Moly Oil Saver is the best bet for an additive....

There is no such thing as "best" anything when it comes to additives.

I wouldn't use ATP205 at all, even for leaks, and would never consider it for preventive maintenance.

There is no such thing as "best" anything when it comes to additives.

I wouldn't use ATP205 at all, even for leaks, and would never consider it for preventive maintenance.
Oil Saver completely stopped the leaks on my father's Taurus (though after me driving quate a bit more than he has in recent years). My understanding is that it is an ester based product and most see a benefit. If additives don't work, then why do motor oils contain them?

But I agree I would stay away from AT205, but it does seem some think it quite a bit better than most run of the mill seal swellers....

Back