Getting transmission slip after adding ATP 205

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWD Mazda family sedan with 120,000 miles. I added a bottle of ATP 205 re seal to the tranny through the dipstick. The transmission was shifting normally beforehand. After adding the 205 reseal, I noticed the car now has transmission slip under harder acceleration and doesn't pull as hard when accelerating. The shifts are a lot smoother and less pronounced too, not that thats a good thing in my opinion (because its indicative of slip).

I am hoping that the fluid level was raised above what it should be thus the slip, but my question is, will the ATP 205 eventually evaporate from within the tranny oil, and leave the oil in the same condition it was prior, or will I have to try drain some fluid out? What if I drive around with the tranny dipstick raised a bit?

In case you are wondering why i added the product to a well working tranny, an attempt at preventative maintenance. I Have used the product with great results before, even just as a preventative measure in smaller amounts in cars that had no problems but were getting old, it has always done the job. But never the tranny case.

I figured I'd add some because many auto transmission problems are due to drying up of seals and it wont hurt to restore seal properties. Apparently it did, thought I am hoping its temporary.
It has been 3 days since I added the 205, and the slip is slowly getting less and less, but its still there.

Last edited:
I only recomend two products other than OE ATF, maxlife and redlube red.
Never heard of ATP, my logic is if they dont sell it EVERYWHERE dont buy it.

Quote:
In case you are wondering why i added the product to a well working tranny, an attempt at preventative maintenance. I Have used the product with great results before, even just as a preventative measure in smaller amounts in cars that had no problems but were getting old, it has always done the job. But never the tranny case.

I figured I'd add some because many auto transmission problems are due to drying up of seals and it wont hurt to restore seal properties. Apparently it did, thought I am hoping its temporary.
It has been 3 days since I added the 205, and the slip is slowly getting less and less, but its still there.

Do a couple of drains and refills without additives..

Never use an after market additive for preventive maintenance.

Preventive maintenance for an AT is changing the fluid and or filter periodically.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the product. I'm wondering how far over the full mark you are when following the proper way to check the fluid level in your vehicle?

I wouldnt add anything to trans before changing out fluid and filter. Not sure why you would try to fix it when it aint broke. Id wait til it acts funny..then look for something to solve the trouble.

I dumped a bottle in the Jeep trans last year, didn't cause any issues (mind you, it's 8 ounces in ~14 quarts of fluid). It did stop the occasional trans fluid drip from the bellhousing though (either input seal, pump seal or converter seal, but it was minor and I didn't feel like pulling the trans to find out).

Just to update this

The issue has settled a bit but its still 80% there and has changed the nature of the transmission. The car shifts really smooth and decisive now, like brand new, but it definitely slips under acceleration and there is definitely also shudder for when I am creeping forward from a standstill to slightly moving, modulating with the brake pedal in Drive.

Haven't been bothered to drain extra fluid out yet, I'll let you guys know if it makes a difference.

Suggest you start from scratch and perform 3 - 4 drain and fills with fresh ATF (like Valvoline MaxLife at Walmart or one that meets Mazda's requirements) in order to possibly salvage the transmission.

Excessive slippage is a no-no for auto transmissions.

I have been driving around with the dipstick on the trans slightly popped off to allow venting, this has allowed the level to just slightly lower off, so I guess the answer to my question if ATP 205 will evaporate over time is yes.

After a few weeks of driving it seems the initial problem of slip due to adding the 205 is getting better and better and the transmission is surprisingly shifting like new.

The slip is almost pre additve levels, if not totally gone, but with the benefit of the AT shifting decisively smoothly and quickly.

Whatever its done it seems to have had the same effect as adding brake fluid to at ATF, which will liven up an old AT for a while but then over swell the seals and ruin it. AT 205 just rejuvenates them, but does not over swell them.

I am very glad it worked out this way and its just as I hoped it would. However if i did it again, I would only use 1/5 of the bottle in a FWD car, and maybe 1/3 in a RWD.

I believe the fluid in the tranny was done not too long ago anyway so I would not bother to change it. I find all changing ATF fluid does on a car that already has nice pink fluid is thicken up the ATF viscosity which makes an old AT slip even more.

The car is a run around in order to avoid racking up the KM on my "good" car, so I now try to avoid spending as little as possible on it, even though I have spend to much on it up until this point i hope that slows down.

AT flush is one of the first things I used to do on all my used cars, even going overboard with maintenance doing things multiple times, trying different oils if there is a problem, but I have found its just asking for trouble switching out ATF when the oil is still fresh looking.

More often than not high mileage AT cars tend to slip more with fresh fluid. If the oil is browning out, a simple pan drain and top up is better than a full fluid change via the tranny cooler or complete flush.

I have done full tranny fluid changes to many of my used cars and have always regretted it. The times I did just a pain drain and fill all has been well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Suggest you start from scratch and perform 3 - 4 drain and fills with fresh ATF (like Valvoline MaxLife at Walmart or one that meets Mazda's requirements) in order to possibly salvage the transmission.

Excessive slippage is a no-no for auto transmissions.

thumbsup2.gif

Again, and you were warned earlier, that ATP 205 is a seal conditioner, not a cleaner, not a friction modifier, notta.

The introduction of ANY additive to an ATF has the potential of changing the frictional characteristics of the fluid.

There is no valid reason to be using this stuff with a functioning transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back