ATP 205 re-Seal Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought I would share how ATP worked in my car. I have/had multiple slow leaks from my engine. The leaks didn't amount to any more than a quart over an oil change. Just slow drips from multiple spots. I had been placing my car on cardboard in my garage to gauge the leaks.

My first attempt was PP HM 5w30 with substituting a quart of oil for a quart of Lucas Engine Stop Leak (3 qts oil + 1 qt Lucas ESL). After month, the leaks seemed to have slowed a bit, but none disappeared. Just looking at the spotting on the cardboard, it appeared to be less. After 1 month, I dumped that combination...

The combo I am running now is Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w40. My car has 140,000 miles on a Chevy V6. I also substituted 8 oz of oil for an 8 oz bottle of ATP 205 re-Seal. After 2 days of driving and leaving the car on cardboard over night, all but one of the oil spots has disappeared. I previously had 3 dime sized spots and 1 half dollar spot. The 3 dime size spots are gone and the remaining spot is down to roughly the size of a nickel. I would certainly consider this a success.

I am going to continue to run the 10w40 and I will probably add 1 or 2 oz of ATP reseal each oil change just to maintain the "fix." I may do two quarts of 5w40 plus two quarts of 10w40 in the winter just to help with the cold starting.

Just so we can get this out of the way... I am not a proponent of "fix in a can" in most cases. However, I am not going to tear apart the motor on a Chevy with 140,000+ miles on a rusty car worth $1600 KBB. This car is of the age, value, and appearance that I am simply going to run it until it won't run anymore or it needs a pricey repair. I am still keeping up on brakes, tires, and I did just replace the struts DIY recently.

I've had good experiences with ATP 205 stopping power steering leaks in my toyota. I threw a number of other products (eg, lucas) at my power steering to no avail. I did a PS flush with Maxlife ATF and added 2 oz of ATP 205. The leak soon slowed and then stopped in a couple weeks. It swells the seals well. I later exchanged half the PS ATF, so now the PS has more like an ounce of ATP 205 in it.

I'd keep up what you are doing. An ounce or two each OCI can maintain the swells.

+1 I have used ATP 205 reseal on two different systems with excellent results. It stopped an oil leak on a high mileage engine (190K) and a minute Power Steering leak which saved me ~$800 repair (on a car worth maybe $1500 on a good day). It DID take several days to soften the seals and actually shut the leaks, but it worked. I don't normally use any additives of any kind and I wouldn't use anything Lucas if you gave it to me, but atp 205 works.

If you go on Youtube, screaming Scotty Kilmer swears by it.

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil
+1 I have used ATP 205 reseal on two different systems with excellent results. It stopped an oil leak on a high mileage engine (190K) and a minute Power Steering leak which saved me ~$800 repair (on a car worth maybe $1500 on a good day). It DID take several days to soften the seals and actually shut the leaks, but it worked. I don't normally use any additives of any kind and I wouldn't use anything Lucas if you gave it to me, but atp 205 works.

If you go on Youtube, screaming Scotty Kilmer swears by it.

Scotty Kilmer is where I found the product. I watch Scotty Kilmer, Eric the Car Guy, and Chris Fix. Chris Fix is by far my favorite. My only gripe with Scotty is that occasionally he clearly has a product placement or a sponsor, but doesn't acknowledge that he is either paid to endorse the given product or that it was given for free. I still watch every video and I don't mind sponsorships, just be up front about it. "Hey, the guys at Penzoil sent over this oil for me to try," or something like that.

Yep it helped with my 330k+ Nissan. I first tried motor oil saver hut it didn't seem to help, the current brew with Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30, motor oil saver and atp 205 stopped it from emitting the burning smell through my vents for which I'm most thankful for.

I had multiple leaks but they weren't dripping on the ground just around the engine and onto it from gaskets and the distributor.

A lot of people refer to this stuff as snake oil. Some of them have to work. I doubt all of these companies just think to themselves, "Let's sell colored water and tell people it's stops leaks. Muahhahah." Some of these companies legitimately are doing research and attempting to sell a good product. I have also seen people who had a blown head gasket dumped a bottle of Bars Leak into their radiator and almost immediately, the white smoke from the exhaust stopped and it held. I certainly don't consider these actual repairs, but some do actually do what they claim.

Last edited:
I too cured a slow power steering rack leak with ATP-AT205. The guys at SureFit Auto Parts in Saint John, NB said that a lot of people had success with the product and that they sold a fair bit of it. I wanted to stop a valve cover leak on my 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan. In the end, I replaced the valve cover gasket. At SureFit, one parts sales guy advised against putting it in motor oil and cited a Jeep engine that was allegedly ruined after ATP-AT205 was used in it. He said that he wasn't sure exactly how much product was applied nor did he elaborate on what happened to the engine. I suspect that it was unrelated to the ATP-AT205 and it was just one guy's opinion, though I'm no automotive engineer. I opted not to try it for the valve covers as I don't think that's its purpose anyway, more for round seals, I think. There are literally hundred and hundreds of positive reviews of the product on Amazon. I may have read a couple negative reviews and they were probably in a situation where a severe leak - cracked/split seal - was involved.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 360kid
A lot of people refer to this stuff as snake oil. Some of them have to work. I doubt all of these companies just think to themselves, "Let's sell colored water and tell people it's stops leaks. Muahhahah." Some of these companies legitimately are doing research and attempting to sell a good product. I have also seen people who had a blown head gasket dumped a bottle of Bars Leak into their radiator and almost immediately, the white smoke from the exhaust stopped and it held. I certainly don't consider these actual repairs, but some do actually do what they claim.

There are a few products that work as advertised. You mentioned Bars Stop Leak, it has worked more than once for me and friends of mine over the years. Not everyone wants to replace a heater core, head gasket, or radiator, especially if selling the car or junking it at a later date is in the cards. I'd have no problem trying ATP205 if I had a vehicle with a leak that I didn't feel like fixing or see the need. The testimony I've seen here and elsewhere is enough for me to give it a shot.

I would love to try this on my front differential. They say it can be used for that. Anyone know the application rate for diffs?

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
I would love to try this on my front differential. They say it can be used for that. Anyone know the application rate for diffs?

The instructions are on the bottle. It's one 8 oz bottle per 6 quarts of fluid, so adjust based on capacity. I used the whole 8oz bottle on a 4.5 quart sump, so I'd say 2 oz would be fine for a typical diff depending on capacity.

2001 mazda tribute,3.0, small tranny leak, would leave a few quarter size spots, every night. Tried tran X back in December 2015 during a tranny drain and fill. It did work, for a few months,leak came back, late Feb. Did another Drain and fill, with valvoline tranny fluid and atp 205 reseal on May 16,no leaks since. mileage at the time 178,688. Vehicle is only used to get to and from work, 21 miles a day, total. Now and then a few more miles. Since the last trany fluid change, all is so smooth, kind of scarey, LOL. Fingers are crossed. Will purchase another bottle, tiny oil leak, will try the atp 205 next oil change. I've tried the Lucas and blue devil with NO success at all on the tranny.

Worked great for me as well! Stopped a P/S rack leak that dripped on a regular basis. I don't really trust "fixes-in-a-bottle" much, so I was quite surprised it actually worked....on a rack leaking as badly as mine was.

I haven't added ANY fluid since 205 was added about 2 months ago or so.

thumbsup2.gif

Had an oil leak from my jeep and would need to refill about a quart every 3 months. I decided to give Bluedevil Oil Stop (for cars) a chance and within a few days no more leaks. It did throw my CEL for catalytic converter emission but after a hundred miles and after a battery reset it hasn't came back on.

Originally Posted By: skip029
Had an oil leak from my jeep and would need to refill about a quart every 3 months. I decided to give Bluedevil Oil Stop (for cars) a chance and within a few days no more leaks. It did throw my CEL for catalytic converter emission but after a hundred miles and after a battery reset it hasn't came back on.

Does your Jeep burn oil?

Burned a little but Blue Devil I think worked for the leak. CEL for catalyc converter came back after 450 mikes. Are they related, idk, possible.

Last edited:
ATP 205 is some good stuff. I've used it before with success. I've also heard great things about Liqui-Moly Motor Oil Saver. Haven't used it, so no experience there, but I have a bottle sitting around if any of my friends ever need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back