ATF WS

Just read on Lexus Owner's Manual that one can use Toyota Genuine Oil or a good equivalent for the transfer case & differential, but such concession is NOT shown in the ATF WS where is says only use Toyota Genuine ATF WS. Why would Toyota make such a distinction? Of course in the immediate one would probably not see any difference using another brand, but what about the long term?

Just read on Lexus Owner's Manual that one can use Toyota Genuine Oil or a good equivalent for the transfer case & differential, but such concession is NOT shown in the ATF WS where is says only use Toyota Genuine ATF WS. Why would Toyota make such a distinction? Of course in the immediate one would probably not see any difference using another brand, but what about the long term?
I myself hate WS. My wife's Rav4 rental return was owned by a woman in up stae New York and appeared to have no one of nothing in any other seat then the owners had almost black WS ATF in the trans when I flushed 100% of it out at 22,000 for a cocktail of Redline D6 and 1.5 Qts ea of Redline Racing and Racing LV, as I don't like a normal amount slip agents.I want a nice clean shift. The car has 85,000 miles with towing a camper and it is running great. WS is a break-in flush ATF to me. I do have a trans cooler on it, which would of helped the WS as I think most agree it is a semi-synthetic. I won't use WS if you paid me. But that is just me. Toyota's use of the hockey puck transmission HEATER does not help trans fluid longevity. The trucks with trans cooler don't seem to have the WS degradation like say a Rav4 does.

You're right Toyota's own WS is not synthetic, this is why when the time comes I'm thinking of using LiquiMoly TopTech 1800 which is synthetic.
I may also use Idemitsu if I can find it.

You can use Maxlife with no problem. Toyopta transmissions usually aren't picky on ATF, despite the scary-sounding warning :)
I know a lot of people here swear by MaxLife, but why would Toyota say that one can use an alternate for its gear oil yet not do the same for ATF. Maxlife is an excellent product, but it does not carry the WS endorsement which is carried by others. It's all soo confusing 😱

I use Idemitsu WS equivalent in my newer Toylettas and Maxlife in the old Tundra.
The engines haven't fallen out as yet...

Weird, my 4Runner PO had a trans cooler installed and the spill/fill WS comes out clear red where as the GX is brown so wondering why that is?

I know a lot of people here swear by MaxLife, but why would Toyota say that one can use an alternate for its gear oil yet not do the same for ATF. Maxlife is an excellent product, but it does not carry the WS endorsement which is carried by others. It's all soo confusing 😱
What ATFs have WS approval?

mobil 3324 and its reboxed dealer variants are the same fluid

toyota is (nominally) not a transmission manufacturer. they want you to use their dealership network and buy genuine fluid no matter the circumstances

Last edited:
It amazes me that so many here, when asked about what oil to put in their engine, respond with "What does the manual say?" or "follow the spec." Yet with xmission fluid, for many people, that advice is disregarded, and all sorts of substitutes are suggested, often because it's cheaper or perceived to be better. In the case of transmissions, the engineers don't know what's best, but with engine oil, they do.

It amazes me that so many here, when asked about what oil to put in their engine, respond with "What does the manual say?" or "follow the spec." Yet with xmission fluid, for many people, that advice is disregarded, and all sorts of substitutes are suggested, often because it's cheaper or perceived to be better. In the case of transmissions, the engineers don't know what's best, but with engine oil, they do.
When did we say that engineers know what the best oil to use is?

Lexus says the ATF in my GS350 is "lifetime fluid". Please define lifetime. Methuselah lived 900 years, so I hear.

The transmission is made by Aisin, not Toyota.
Aisin recommends servicing the transmission.

Back