ATF SP-IV was replaced with Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage. Will it damage my Transaxle? Help!

I own a 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 3.5L AWD. I bought it new and it has had zero issues.

At a little over 100,000 miles I decided to change spark plugs and all fluids.

Having very little trust in the Hyundai dealership in Harrisburg PA, because of more than horrible past scheduled maintenance experiences, I took the vehicle to the Firestone service center in Harrisburg PA.

When they replaced the Transaxle fluid they used Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage ATF fluid.

Driving the Santa Fe I noticed a lot of torque steer under hard acceleration which I never noticed before the ATF fluid change.

Looking at the labor printout, is when I noticed that they used the Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage ATF fluid. The Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage ATF fluid has a viscosity of 7.2 cst according to the Technical Data Sheet.

The Santa Fe Owner's manual states that SP-IV should be used for ATF which has a viscosity of 5.5 cst.

The system was actually completely evacuated by Firestone before refilling with Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage ATF.

My question is: will my Transaxle be harmed in any way by the higher viscosity fluid?

The Pennzoil Technical Data Sheet states it does not meet the Hyundai SP-IV spec.

The manager at Firestone is very combative and condescending. I want to gather all the information I can before going there in person to present this to him. In my opinion, he should not be dealing directly with the public due to attitude.

Thanks to all knowledge members in advance for a reply.

1. Ask Firestone to show you in writing where that oil is approved (not “recommended for”) for use in that transmission by the manufacturer.
2. Ask Firestone why a higher viscosity oil was installed in a transmission that is clearly specified for another viscosity and type.
3. Explain your transmission issues with Firestone, go above the manager
4. Get that :poop: out of your tranny.

Plenty of people here use multi-vehicle transmission fluid in Hyundai transmissions and don't have any problem. Fluid changes won't cause an increase in torque steer unless your old fluid was so bad that the transmission was slipping horribly and causing significant power loss, being that it's a 11-12 year old vehicle it's probably just a coincidence that you're noticing it after a fluid change, probably wearing bushings and steering components from age or, since you got it changed, you've altered your driving style a little bit and you're being more aggressive on the accelerator than you were before because you're looking for something wrong when you weren't before.

1.Ask him to show you in writing where that oil is approved (not “recommended for”) for use in that transmission by the manufacturer.
2. Ask why a higher viscosity oil was installed in a transmission that is ckearly specified for another viscosity
3. explain your transmission issues with Firestone, go above the manager
4. get that :poop: out of your tranny.
I saw the not recommended for Hyundai SP-IV myself on the Pennzoil Technical Data Sheet.

This is going to s*ck if I have to pay for another evacuation and refill.

I'm mainly worried about the higher viscosity doing damage to the system

Plenty of people here use multi-vehicle transmission fluid in Hyundai transmissions and don't have any problem. Fluid changes won't cause an increase in torque steer unless your old fluid was so bad that the transmission was slipping horribly and causing significant power loss, being that it's a 11-12 year old vehicle it's probably just a coincidence that you're noticing it after a fluid change, probably wearing bushings and steering components from age or, since you got it changed, you've altered your driving style a little bit and you're being more aggressive on the accelerator than you were before because you're looking for something wrong when you weren't before.
Could be that I am just looking for issues since I saw the viscosity mismatch.

But I want facts to prove the 7.2 cst vs the 5.5 cst won't harm the system.

5.5 cst is considered a low viscosity fluid.

Kind of ironic. I am a chemist who used to manage an oil sampling lab for a Caterpillar dealer. I know nothing about transaxles though. Ugh...

Here is a screenshot of the Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage Technical Data Sheet. The very last page is where it states the intended use is not for low viscosity ATF applications.

Couldn't upload a pdf.
Screenshot_20220919-152030_Samsung Notes.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don’t get anywhere with the rude manager, try another Firestone in your area and explain your issue to them, they may be able to help. If not, go above their heads and contact corporate

I saw the not recommended for Hyundai SP-IV myself on the Pennzoil Technical Data Sheet.

This is going to s*ck if I have to pay for another evacuation and refill.

I'm mainly worried about the higher viscosity doing damage to the system
If it already states “not recommended for Hyundai SP-IV” then you already have your answer.
will it do damage? Probably. The transmission is calibrated ECM-wise for the proper fluid. It is not designed to take the higher pressures of a higher viscosity fluid. Your new symptom of torque steer is a sign.

If you don’t get anywhere with the rude manager, try another Firestone in your area and explain your issue to them, they may be able to help. If not, go above their heads and contact corporate

I'm planning on stopping there on my way home from work tonight.

Hopefully the other manager is there. If I don't get anywhere I'll call corporate.

That isn't the right fluid, if they use SOPUS fluid, they should've used Pennzoil Platinum LV multi-vehicle transmission fluid in place of SP-IV, but I still don't think it's the cause of the torque steer issue, but they should put the right fluid in it.
They are going to replace the fluid with either the Pennzoil Platinum LV SP-IV or the Hyundai SP-IV. The good manager was there when I went. The grouch was absent.

The good manager is going to call around and get prices on the Hyundai SP-IV fluid on Wednesday when he is back.

I'll be happy with the Pennzoil Platinum LV SP-IV though. As I'm sure the Hyundai is approaching $30 per quart.

What an experience. I took pictures of their cross-reference sheets, and the good manager still thought the High Mileage was compatible. After returning home and looking at the photos, the High Mileage sheet states it is compatible with Hyundai T-IV, not SP-IV.

I'll post the sheet photos here ..
20220919_171729.jpg
20220919_171744.jpg

I think they don't understand the difference between Toyota T-IV and SP-IV/Kia Type 4
Exactly! It's a shame this is what you have to deal with when you take your vehicle in for service.

That's why I stopped going to the Harrisburg Hyundai dealer. They balanced my wheels and tires so that I thought the vehicle was going to tear itself apart. Another mechanic who understand how to use the Hunter balancing machine redid the job correctly. They put the rear wiper blade on the right front wiper arm and last but not least, they destroyed my master cylinder and vacuum booster when they installed new front brake pads.

The service manager refunded me for the brake job and to add insult to injury, they stupid cashier girl charged the price again instead of crediting me. So I had to go back and b"tch about that as well. Totally incompetent!

Exactly! It's a shame this is what you have to deal with when you take your vehicle in for service.

That's why I stopped going to the Harrisburg Hyundai dealer. They balanced my wheels and tires so that I thought the vehicle was going to tear itself apart. Another mechanic who understand how to use the Hunter balancing machine redid the job correctly. They put the rear wiper blade on the right front wiper arm and last but not least, they destroyed my master cylinder and vacuum booster when they installed new front brake pads.

The service manager refunded me for the brake job and to add insult to injury, they stupid cashier girl charged the price again instead of crediting me. So I had to go back and b"tch about that as well. Totally incompetent!

Here's another thing I found looking at the service order. It looks like they may have put 7 cst CVT fluid in my transfer case rather than 75w90.

Now I'm going to have to have that corrected as well.

I drive 300 miles a week, so I've put about 1,800 miles on since this service was done. I hope the transfer case is not destroyed.
Screenshot_20220919-191550.jpg

The on-demand Transfer Case in my 2012 Frontier uses a 7.5 cSt fluid called NissanMatic D, which essentially is a Dexron III-H.

I am sure my 4.0L V6 provides more torque to the Transfer Case than does yours.

But hey, if they spec a 75W90 then the TC design may be different.

Last edited:
The Transfer Case in my 2012 Frontier uses a 7.5 cSt fluid called NissanMatic D, which essentially is a Dexron III-H.
Here is the page out of my owner's manual stating the transfer case uses 75w90.

Screenshot_20220919-190912_Samsung Notes.jpg

This is rough! Whew. Just for some simple fluid exchanges all this B S

Back