ATF Protectants

Status
Not open for further replies.
List the ATF protectants you have used or have first hand knowledge about. I'm sure there are many but the two that come to mind are Lubegard and Smart Blend Synthetics.

LG red. After a pan drop and line flush I add it to my 93 Aerostar. 185,500 miles on the original transmission under some severe use, still working well. I had a slight delay going into reverse when it is very cold outside, that problem is now gone.

I have never tried the highly regarded Lubegard products. But Auto-Rx did save one of my auto trannies from an early grave. I will continue to use it every 30K miles.

Lubegard red. My 96 sunfire auto trans would not go into 2nd gear. I did a pan drop. I put maxlife atf and lubegard red. I'v been good for a year now. (knock on wood)

Pulled the tranny plug and put in new Toyota brand T-IV with Lubegard red last weekend. Seems to shift slightly smoother now. Most noticably it doesn't downshift nearly as eagerly as it used to when going up a hill. There were no transmission problems before I did this, it was more of a maintenance thing.

I had a full bottle of Lubegard in the daughter's Accord until she ran it into a ditch and lost some of the ATF. I assumed the car had lost more, but only took 6 quarts or so to bring it back up when I put the new radiator in, so point being I didn't add more.

Heck if I know if it's doing anything. Or did anything.

I swear by Lubegard Red, and pretty much all of their products.

My 92 Taurus 3.8L with the AOD tranny that has that reputation of dying at 85k and requiring a rebuild... well somehow this tranny went to 169k without a tranny rebuild, however it slipped in all gears all the time, the fluid was brown as motor oil.
I put regular dex3 shell atf in, new filter, no flush, and a bottle of lubegard red.
after 40miles, this tranny shifts smooth, doesn't slip, and climbs hills like a billy goat!
the Taurus is now at 230k, I am experiencing a very minute slip under very high acceleration, but it isn't constant. Also due for another tranny service too.

I'm a firm believer in Lubegard red!
I've also used the dexron to mercon V conversion additive, and IT DOES WORK AS WELL! So far about 13k and no issues.

I'll be trying the lubegard p/s addtive soon, it's time to flush the p/s fluid out of my Ranger (it has redline p/s in it now.

I even use Lubegard's brake rotor tech spray. you just spray it on the brake rotors and it supposedly helps the pads bed to the rotors. dunno if it really works, but I've been using it. (got a free can a while ago).

Now the Lucas stuff.. more and more it seems to be snake oil. I've had no results with the transmission fix, but a bottle lubegard a year later with no flush.. yielded results.

When I bought my 2005 Grand Marquis last year one of the first things I did was take it my local Ford dealer for a full transmission service with some good old Mercon V. Part of their service was to put in a can of BG ATC+ transmission conditioner. I don't know if it needed it or not, but the Mercury shifts like a new one.

And Pablo, if the Lubegard caused your daughter to drive in to that ditch, I would not use it. You should tie her Accord to your rock. That would solve the problem.
grin2.gif

According to Lubegard you can use the LG Red in any ATF. The red is not one of the products that changes DEX III in to something else, the Red is just a conditioner.

I have used Smart Blend red in my Chryslers (minivan & Jeep GC)transmissions and never had one fail.

Smart Blend is a very good product made by Life Automotive out of Tennessee. Kind of hard to find around here. There is a tribologist on here that believes the Smart Blend is a better product than the Lubegard Red.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back