ATF MotorGuard bypass

Status
Not open for further replies.
a bypass usually takes just a tiny fraction of the fluid and filters it very thoroughly and slowly. Id guess you could t-into the line to or from the cooler, but I doubt you could bypass filter the whole stream.

JMH

Olympic runs it like a bypass (returning to the dipstick). He uses the Amsoil BP80A setup for the longer service interval. You can just plumb it across the cooler circuit. There's enough differential to drive flow. The restrictor (and the tp) won't let too much flow.

You can drill a small bypass hole in the filter housing if you want to run in inline with the transmission cooling lines. Im not sure the exact location or size, but you could ask ralph, he used to sell them this way.

If you run it parallel(double T'd), you don't need a restrictor since most ATF flow will go through the cooler anyway.

You should not run a bypass filter in series.

IMO, a bypass should be run as such. It should be T'd off, restricted appropriately, and returned to the sump. Parallel just makes it a little easier.

scre4f4657ae4.jpg

Gary or Pablo...

Do you know the thread size for the 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 tranmission lines going into the radiator?

Also couldn't your regular bypass filter setup with the restrictor out work fine as a full flow filter?

I'd be reluctant to run it as a full flow even with the restrictor out of it. If I had any reasonable bypass mechanism installed, sure. I'd probably try it ..but I'd have some gauges installed on either end of it (or a differential pressure gauge) just to assure that I wasn't choking anything. It's just hard to recommend that to someone else to try. I like to do my own R&D at my expense
21.gif
Once I do something like this and don't "You'll shoot your eye out kid" ..then it's a different story.

I dunno about the threads into the rad ..but that aux cooler looks like it takes 1/2" rubber lines on my neighbor's 06. I imagine 1/2" NPT. Assuming it is NPT ..then it's got to be either 1/2" or 3/4"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back