ATF for 2007 Mazda 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go with Amsoil, that one in a while shift shock will go away. Esp that fist shift in cold weather. (if you have the 2.3L, I have the same transmission as you)

T-IV or Mobil #3309. T-IV from Toyota dealer for ~ %5.xx per quart. This assumes you have the ASIN AT transmission. I could not find any Amsoil ATF that meets the Mazda Spec of T-IV. Mobil 1 all purpose states it is suitible but T-IV/3309 is the recomended fluid.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eddie
T-IV or Mobil #3309. T-IV from Toyota dealer for ~ %5.xx per quart. This assumes you have the ASIN AT transmission.

(only an option if you have the V6)

If he has the 2.3L, he needs a Mazda MV spec'd ATF. Amsoil, Schaeffer's, Motorcraft FNR5, and Mazda OEM (IDEMITSU) are the only fluids that meet the spec from what I have found.

I drained out my mom's 2007 Mazda 6's trans. oil and put in Amsoil ATF at 30k miles. The oil now has 10k and still shifts smooth. Mazda's factory fill was garbage. The factory oil was black when I drained it.

-ttvr4

After your brake disaster, I'm waiting for the thread that says:

"ATF cooler line blew off the heat exchanger. Transmission oil drained on the highway, transmission fried and wife is going to kill me!"

Just kidding...

Originally Posted By: The Critic
After your brake disaster, I'm waiting for the thread that says:

"ATF cooler line blew off the heat exchanger. Transmission oil drained on the highway, transmission fried and wife is going to kill me!"

Just kidding...

Yeah I won't be doing this job. Too messy. If I owned a lift, I would attempt it.

Originally Posted By: buster
Just hit 30,000 miles this past weekend. ATF fluid should be changed. Thinking of trying the new Mobil 1 ATF

https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_1_Synthetic_ATF.aspx

Buster,
I use the M1 ATF in my 07 Focus and it shifts fine, up and down.
Not sure if the Mazda has the same tranny as the Focus. My Fusion does have a different tranny than the Focus and uses FNR 5 oil MC oil.

Most of the universal or multivehicle ATF's will work fine and usually better then the OEM fill.

Mazda released a TSB saying that their ATF M-V is NOT THE SAME as Mercon V.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?&act=attach&type=post&id=40321

You might need an account to read this PDF, but here is the summary:

NOTE:
• ATF M-V (TYPE M5) IS NOT THE SAME FLUID AS MERCON®V ATF.
• ATF M-V (TYPE M5) HAS A GREATER VISCOSITY THAN MERCON®V ATF IN LOW TEMPERATURES.
• ATF M-V (TYPE M5) HAS A GREATER ANTI-JUDDER SPECIFICATION THAN MERCON®V ATF.

CAUTION:
• USING ATF OTHER THAN ATF M-V (TYPE M5) IN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS DESIGNED TO USE ATF M-V (TYPE M5) MAY CAUSE SHIFT QUALITY COMPLAINTS.

I have a 2005 Mazda 6i which requires the ATF M-V, and have been using M1 ATF (Mercon V licensed) without problem for 105,000 miles. The change interval has been every 15,000 miles.

However, after I changed to the latest M1 ATF ("recommended" for Mercon V & Mazda ATF M-V) at 105,000 miles, my wife complained about harsh shifting during stop and go conditions.

After some research, I found this ATF M-V bulletin, and will switch back to it for the next ATF change.

If the viscosity requirements at certain temperature are different for Mercon V and Mazda ATF M-V, how can one ATF meets BOTH specifications? The answer is it cannot, and exactly why we have all these universal ATFs with "recommended for" wordings.

The bottom line is that the universal ATFs do not meet the specification, but whether it makes an observable difference to you is another matter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back