ATF/CVT combo Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this at Walmart ($19.87) and could not believe it. They now make a universal oil for conventional automatic and CVT transmissions. So, think of it as the "All Makes All Models" version of antifreeze. It's funny how some fret over using Max Life uni ATF, but now this? Not sure how this ATF is possible, but it's here.

PXL_20210317_191943792.jpeg
PXL_20210317_191953181.jpeg

That's...well, intriguing. When I first started reading the post the bottle wasn't in view on the screen and I expected some oddball name on the jug. Never would have expected Castrol.

BP has the testing and bucks to verify it works, sooo, ok then?

Waiting for @MolaKule 's take on this.

"Castrol Transmax® ATF/CVT Universal is a technologically advanced full synthetic formulation designed to deliver excellent performance in most of the traditional stepped automatic transmissions and Continuously Variable Transmissions currently in use. It is blended with premium base oils and an additive package which utilizes Castrol Smooth Drive® Technology. This is the first Castrol multi-vehicle ATF suitable for use in both step-shifting and continuously variable automatic transmissions. Castrol Transmax® ATF/CVT Universal is suitable for use in vehicles manufactured in North & South America, Europe, and Asia. "

Product Data Sheet:

Last edited:
I wouldn't run this in anything....

Just such a vast difference in how transmission fluids work between regular trans vs a cvt. Friction coefficient vs traction coefficient.

I like Castrol oils and their regular transmission fluids. I have great confidence in them.

But not this.

People always assume that ATF is some secret, out-of-this-world formulation, each formula radically different from the other.
Probably Castrol, like everyone out here) will reuse formulations between their synthetic ATF's with just some slight variations in the additive pack. Same for the non-synthetic ones.

It's a base oil (everyone knows how to make those), mixed with some standard additive packs, that are universally known by oil manufacturers!
All it matters for an ATF is if it meets the standard specifications. If you have a good enough stock oil, everything is much easier.

Actually from the datasheet of this universal oil, I see that the 100C viscosity is 7.1 cST, a higher that most of the "LV" fluids (5.3-6.3 cSt), but in range with older "normal" ATF. That's the unexpected part, AFAIK until now only AMSOIL has a synthetic with normal ATF viscosity.

Will it work instead of a "LV" fluid or a "CVT"? Certainly, in fact there are people that run normal ATF instead of LV in their transmissions now, because that was the design fluid for most of the transmissions.
Like my Toyota transmission has specified the WS (LV fluid), but it's designed based on an older model of Toyota transmission that was using T-IV "normal" fluid.

Friction coefficient vs traction coefficient.
You just made up names. What are those measured in? What datasheet shows them?

Last edited:
However....

When it's two totally... Different chemistry additive and functional applications... Coefficient of friction control vs coefficient of traction aka cvt....

There's no way it will be able to do either function very well at all.

Our own formulator Molakule on here does not believe this is best practice using this type fluid. Because of the vast difference in function and chemistry between regular atf and cvt transmissions.

Makes me wonder what Castrol and possibly other oil mfg's/blenders know that the auto mfg's don't want us to know...Hmmm! 🤔

I mean, there is a YouTube video of a guy with an Altima like in my signature who replaced his car's CVT fluid with regular ATF(I believe it was multi vehicle ATF) and it ran fine. Now, IDK if his CVT blew up but there were numerous comments below the video such as..."hay dude, you used the wrong tranny fluid"! And on & on.

I've never heard of a GM tranny blowing up from using ATF-4 and I do know people who have done this, etc.
Just the same as I have never heard of a radiator going south from using the incorrect coolant.
OR an engine getting destroyed for using 5W30 instead of 0W20.

Not to say that I am going to be one of Castrol's test mules but we will certainly find out in a few years, won't we?

Last edited:
o_O :cautious: :alien: :eek:

Get out the popcorn 🍿

I know that some Toyota hybrids have something that isn't really a CVT even though Toyota calls it one.

Also surprised a reputable company like Castrol/BP is releasing something like this :unsure:

Castrol is usually the one who makes those expensive esoteric unicorn fluids :alien:

I'll stick to Maxlife for non-CVT and a dedicated CVT fluid for the CVT

They are most likely using an Afton additive system: https://www.aftonchemical.com/Afton...DS/HiTEC-3488/HiTEC-3488_PDS-web.pdf?ext=.pdf

I posted about this recently:

I don't think a global name like Castrol is going to just take a leap and guess at this.

There's no way they'd open themselves up to the legal ramifications putting in writing that their product will work in your ~$7000 transaxle if it didn't.

I'm not saying run out an buy the stuff. Just looking at it from a practical standpoint.

I don't think a global name like Castrol is going to just take a leap and guess at this.

There's no way they'd open themselves up to the legal ramifications putting in writing that their product will work in your ~$7000 transaxle if it didn't.

I'm not saying run out an buy the stuff. Just looking at it from a practical standpoint.
I'm sure there is some type of contractual risk transfer mechanism in place between a blender and their additive supplier.

Reactions: JTK
Do you find a Mu(v) spec or chart for step-shift transmission ATF's?
He called for a "traction coefficient". That's what I said it doesn't exist.
There are static and dynamic friction coefficients, but those are not in any datasheets, people don'y know about them. They just assume a CTV needs a "traction" fluid because it sounds "right". No matter that those bands are actually "pushing" the cones... and that has nothing to do with the oil.

BP expanded their ATF product line

7.1/34.2cst???? gas guzzling resource wasting kittenbunny destroying overly honey thick environmentally hating ATF

I need some. Have a 3309/T-IV flush next week. Look at the fancy coloring dye used!

Attachments

• CastrolATFCVTF.pdf
    39.3 KB · Views: 122
There are static and dynamic friction coefficients, but those are not in any datasheets, people don'y know about them. They just assume a CTV needs a "traction" fluid because it sounds "right". No matter that those bands are actually "pushing" the cones... and that has nothing to do with the oil.
It has everything to do with the oil.

Just because you have never observed a Mu(v) Traction Coefficient chart for a CVT ATF or a Mu(v) Dynamic Coefficient chart for a step-shift ATF doesn't mean they don't exist.

Mu(v) results are not listed on any data sheets, just as friction modification compounds and other chemistry's are not listed, but again, that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Don't mean to give you a hard time here.

However they certainly do exist.

And Molakule knows light years more than you and me about all of this.

Companion thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back