ATF Changing Logic:

Auto tranny clutches are engaged with hydraulic clutches. As these clutches wear the worn particles either stay in the fluid or are filtered out. The transmission fluid is darkened by those clutch particles still in suspension. As time goes by the fluid is to some extent subject to shearing. The more it is sheared the more likely there is to be less pressure, which will mean more clutch wear and darker fluid. It is my contention that draining the tranny pan and refilling with fresh fluid will remove some portion of the worn clutch particles and increase the viscosity of the transmission fluid. This will keep the pressures high and reduce clutch wear. All of this should greatly increase the lifespan of the tranny. So, I believe just swapping fluid periodically is nearly as good as dropping the pan and changing fluid and filter, and is a lot easier and cheaper. Anyone agree or disagree???

If it has never been changed before and is used, cleaning the pan and replacing the filter is a good option first and then refilling.

If it is new, then swapping the fluid out periodically is a great solution, and you only have to change the filter every 100,000 miles.

Changing the oil is a good thing but it won't stop low or minimal quality or designed parts from breaking. I have never had a trans fail because the oil wasn't changed. All my Transmission failures were because of parts failures.

I know someone smarter than myself could correct me, but I believe shift pressures are controlled by a variable relief valve or proportional pressure reducing valve with pressure feedback. That means the pressure should be pretty much the same for a given shift condition with little impact from fluid viscosity.

Again, I could be wrong on that!

So, I believe just swapping fluid periodically is nearly as good as dropping the pan and changing fluid and filter, and is a lot easier and cheaper. Anyone agree or disagree???
Agree and that's what I've been doing for years. I do a spill and fill about every 20,000 miles and have never (knock on wood) has a single transmission problem with over a million miles on the vehicles I've owned in the last 30 years. I'm not claiming doing spill and fills caused me to not have any transmission problems, but it sure didn't hurt anything.

I'm with wwilson, only I go every 30K and I have never changed an AT Filter in any of my cars

Last edited:
Didn’t we already discuss this ad nauseum?

I'm no engineer but I'm strongly in the camp of changing fluid, getting and keeping as much fresh fluid in it as possible in lieu of or in addition to a pan drop and filter replacement. Keeping fresh fluids is seems to me will extract some contaminants.

I'd guess that if you did a filter replacement every 50k to 100k miles, you'd be good. So in a typical vehicle with a 300k lifespan that's 5 changes. Not a lot to ask.

Auto tranny clutches are engaged with hydraulic clutches. As these clutches wear the worn particles either stay in the fluid or are filtered out. The transmission fluid is darkened by those clutch particles still in suspension. As time goes by the fluid is to some extent subject to shearing. The more it is sheared the more likely there is to be less pressure, which will mean more clutch wear and darker fluid. It is my contention that draining the tranny pan and refilling with fresh fluid will remove some portion of the worn clutch particles and increase the viscosity of the transmission fluid. This will keep the pressures high and reduce clutch wear. All of this should greatly increase the lifespan of the tranny. So, I believe just swapping fluid periodically is nearly as good as dropping the pan and changing fluid and filter, and is a lot easier and cheaper. Anyone agree or disagree???

Its basically what we do with engine oil.... Just sayin.

NIce username... I'm a fan of the red bones

Not sure about neglected trans. If haven't been serviced for a long time, better leave it alone and wait for the time to come.

I know someone smarter than myself could correct me, but I believe shift pressures are controlled by a variable relief valve or proportional pressure reducing valve with pressure feedback. That means the pressure should be pretty much the same for a given shift condition with little impact from fluid viscosity.

Again, I could be wrong on that!
You are correct, there is a pump in the transmission pumping the fluid to pressure, but if its too thick then it will cause problems, due to flow rate, but almost all modern ATF slightly under 7 CsT or 7.2 CsT .

It’s more than just a pump.

There is a fluid pressure regulation system on most automatics. A solenoid, for example, that controls the line pressure, is common in many valve bodies.

It’s more than just a pump.

There is a fluid pressure regulation system on most automatics. A solenoid, for example, that controls the line pressure, is common in many valve bodies.
That mechanism reduces pressure to some predetermined value. If the pump pressure is below that there is trouble in River City.

I pull and replace three quarts a year and yes the old Dexron 6 is always darker. However, I find the magnet in the pan is coated with particles when I drop the pan every 50,000 miles. I’ve opened up a tranny filter that was in use for 5 years and found only a few metal particles in it and nothing else. YRMV.

CF2A0FEB-5E01-451A-9377-26C5AF0566E3.jpeg718E73BB-AE2C-49FE-A6D7-ADD90B557732.jpeg949F9886-A8C2-4769-BD5B-9A52F2AFA9F9.jpeg61CF878F-9808-44CC-9724-D978BDC6AD79.jpeg2D5B08A1-0C35-42A3-851F-51A600E0F95B.jpeg

Last edited:
Back