ATF change 2012 BMW 335is; dealers say never do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edyvw

As fro Shell and XOM, you have proof? BMW switched to shell (Castrol was for sure providing differential fluid since they were even selling in Castrol bottles). Also, ZF is full synthetic not just synthetic like lets say Maxlife.
As for Pentosin (Fuchs) I am not referring to what they offer in aftermarket sale, but what they deliver on order from manufacturer.

ZF LifeGuard 5 is Esso LT71141, while LifeGuard 6 is Shell M1375.4(http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range...equivalent.html) and LifeGuard 8 is Shell L12108(https://www.motor.com/newsletters/20121010/WebFiles/MMM_ZF_8HP_Tranny.pdf).

Shell also supplies Mercedes with their 5/7/9 speed fluid, I think Shell sells the older version directly as ATF 134, while ATF 134FE is the latest low-viscosity version for the Benz 9G-Tronic.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Originally Posted By: edyvw

As fro Shell and XOM, you have proof? BMW switched to shell (Castrol was for sure providing differential fluid since they were even selling in Castrol bottles). Also, ZF is full synthetic not just synthetic like lets say Maxlife.
As for Pentosin (Fuchs) I am not referring to what they offer in aftermarket sale, but what they deliver on order from manufacturer.

ZF LifeGuard 5 is Esso LT71141, while LifeGuard 6 is Shell M1375.4(http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range...equivalent.html) and LifeGuard 8 is Shell L12108(https://www.motor.com/newsletters/20121010/WebFiles/MMM_ZF_8HP_Tranny.pdf).

Shell also supplies Mercedes with their 5/7/9 speed fluid, I think Shell sells the older version directly as ATF 134, while ATF 134FE is the latest low-viscosity version for the Benz 9G-Tronic.

Shell is supplier of BMW since like 4 years ago. Until then, BMW had different supplier, different packaging etc. (probably Castrol was supplying everything for them).
ZF5, ZF6, ZF8 have Shell spec. since BMW is not using ZF fluid but SHell supplied fluids for transmissions. Does that mean same fluid is provided by ZF (made in Germany) and Shell (Made in USA)?. Same like FCA. FCA is using Shell (pennzoil) in the U.S. That does not mean original fill is Shell, or that Shell makes fluid for ZF (it could be too). But take into consideration that ZF fluid is Made in Germany, while Shell supplied fluid for BMW's (including antifreeze etc.) is made here in the states (as well as for FCA).
When I was working in Europe in this field, as far as I remember Shell was "cooking" oils in Netherlands and contracting OMV (Vienna) and some other plants. Even today Shell is not disclosing where their products in Europe are made, oils or fluids, but just putting Made in EU.
But, hypothetically, let's say Shell is supplier to ZF, what that has to do with Valvoline Maxlife? Again we come back to the fact that you are betting $8,500 transmission to save $200 per change. It might work, it might be even better, but are you willing to bet that money?

Last edited:
UPDATE:
After a few months and a few thousand miles, the transmission has been working quite well. It did get another drain and fill of the MaxLife ATF and the equal ratio of Lubegard Red bottle. The shifts are quicker and not as harsh, but this may be as the original fluid may have been wearing out and fresh ATF is helping. Thank you for all of the advice and help. I understand the OEM is what several recommend. Valvoline stated over the phone the Maxlife ATF is perfectly acceptable to use in this BMW application. I guess I will be the test subject. So far, so good: Shifting improved, smoother operation, no issues, no codes, stopped at a transmission rebuild shop and went for a drive with a tech and the computer to see if operation is normal, all items were within proper values and showing a good working transmission. With the lower cost of the Maxlife ATF, I will follow my usual ATF drain and fill and do this every 25,000 miles. Again, thank you for all the advice.

I did a change in my X5 at 70k miles, ZF recommends between 60 and 80k.
DO it and dont ask a BMW dealer since they are not the ones that made the transmission.

Originally Posted By: DSteven
UPDATE:
After a few months and a few thousand miles, the transmission has been working quite well. It did get another drain and fill of the MaxLife ATF and the equal ratio of Lubegard Red bottle. The shifts are quicker and not as harsh, but this may be as the original fluid may have been wearing out and fresh ATF is helping. Thank you for all of the advice and help. I understand the OEM is what several recommend. Valvoline stated over the phone the Maxlife ATF is perfectly acceptable to use in this BMW application. I guess I will be the test subject. So far, so good: Shifting improved, smoother operation, no issues, no codes, stopped at a transmission rebuild shop and went for a drive with a tech and the computer to see if operation is normal, all items were within proper values and showing a good working transmission. With the lower cost of the Maxlife ATF, I will follow my usual ATF drain and fill and do this every 25,000 miles. Again, thank you for all the advice.

Valvoline MaxLife will hold for 25K or more. Actually I would do every 35-40K.

Mercedes used to do this and they stopped about ten years ago. Now they recommend 70k mile changes for ATF fluid, pan, and filter.

Check www.rmeuropean.com for what fluids to use. I wouldn't just throw in generic fluid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back