ATF analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I send a virgin sample of ATF to Blackstone what useful information can I expect to find? I am trying to find out what fluid Kia/Hyundai SP3 is compatible with. I have a case of Kia SP3 and I am willing to spend the $30 to find out but only if the analysis will tell us something we do not already know. Depending on the forum you read, people say it is ATF4+ and others say to just run MaxLife.

Any input or ideas?

I brought up a similar point regarding to miriade of "ATF+4" fluids
wink.gif
It's funny, cause the "ATF+4" being "licensed" formula, technically they SHOULD all be the same formulation, with the Lubrizol additive(s)......

You'd have to send in samplings of your "possible alternatives" as well though....so think, 2+ samples, PLUS, the "genuine" SPIII sample...so you have something to "compare" to.

Funny you mention that ATF+4 reference though, cause the "SuperTech ATF+4" bottle even states something to the extent of "For use in Chrysler Dodge, Jeep, and some Hyundais" lol. Not exact word use....but does mention "Hyundai"
wink.gif
And Hyundai and Kia are very closely related.

In the mean time, perhaps try comparing MSDS values? I know, not as "gritty" as the VOA route, but a good start
wink.gif

Last edited:
A VOA might tell you something if the elements that make the SP3 spec are elements regularly tested. I'm pretty sure they will be mostly friction modifiers (FMs) and, if that's true, you won't learn anything useful from a Virgin UOA. If there is a difference in viscosity, then you may learn something useful. It could be both plus a synthetic base stock for better cold weather operation.

I would crack the books first. Look closely at all the ATFs on the market and find those that are either certified to meet the Hyundai spec (if there are any) or listed as "suitable for." Get PDS (Product Data Sheets) for those who list the spec and compare them. If the the recommendation is commonly seen on a wide range of bottles, then you can feel pretty safe going Maxlife or ATF+4.

We Honda owners have faced the same dilemma. It wasn't made easier by Honda holding on tight to the data for their Z1 oils. Eventually, the information found it's way out and we could compare the specs. In Honda's case, Z1 was a pretty odd oil but Maxlife seems to be a good replacement. That was validated by the new DW1 Honda oil that appears to be a little more "normal" but officially replaces the Z1.

Hyundai owner or Honda owner... we all hate being "mushrooms" with regards to detailed oil specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back