ATF+3 in a Nissan tranny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, Nissans have drain and fill plugs for everything.

I wouldn't use the ATF+3 since the Dexron's and DC fluids have different additive packs.

I have several bottles of ATF+3 Chrysler fluid left over from a previous vehicle.

Since this is a highly friction modified ATF like Nissanmatic D, would it be OK to use in my 98 Altima? (not as a complete fill, just 1 1/2 qts, along with standard Dexron III 2 1/2 qts)

Or should I stick with the regular Dex III ATF?

By the way, draining a refilling are soooo easy on this car.

Stay with Nissanmatic D, then. Dexron III is suitable for top-up or emergencies but does not contain the same friction modifiers that the proprietary juice has in order to maintain shift quality long term. ATF+3 is definitely contraindicated unless you plan to sell the car to someone you don't like and move across the country in the near future.

I've run straight dex3 in multiple Nissans and have never experienced issues. My favorite is Mobil1 ATF. I've also used lubegard red with the Mobil1.

I know that Nissan has a TSB concerning certain additives. Be careful with what you choose since one brand uses THAT additive that Nissan warns about. But, Nissan doesn't explain why!

I don't know what the issue is with all the fluids. Most transmissions, new and rebuilt, have similar components of manufacture. The only issue is in the programming(VB and TCU). Some fluids will slip, shudder, or fumble in cars with "controlled timed shifting that can't be felt".

My personal experience is d-matic is completely comparable to dexron3/mercon.
Nissan J-matic(Castrol Transmax J or IDEMITSU ATF HP) is the more HFM fluid and probably partially synth like MerconV, T-IV, ATF+4, SPIII....
There is also a K-matic(newest fluid). Makes me wonder if matic-k is full synth.
Beside smoother shifting, these newer fluids have continuously improved hot and cold performance.

quote:

Originally posted by unDummy:
...Be careful with what you choose since one brand uses THAT additive that Nissan warns about. But, Nissan doesn't explain why!...

Probably because Nissan doesn't have to. Nissan doesn't have to provide a warranty either. (Contrary to conventional "wisdom", a warranty is not a legal requirement for doing business. Warranties are nothing more than marketing tools. However, if a manufacturer elects to offer a written warranty for competitive reasons, they are perfectly free to stipulate the conditions under which warranty claims will be honored.) As an owner, you can pay 'em now (for their proprietary fluid), or you can chance paying 'em later (for a tranny rebuild). Your car, your choice.

quote:

...I don't know what the issue is with all the fluids. Most transmissions, new and rebuilt, have similar components of manufacture. The only issue is in the programming(VB and TCU)...

Don't forget that friction materials differ considerably between manufacturers. That, in turn, requires differences in the quantity and type of friction modifiers. (Are manufacturers intentionally manipulating friction material compounding to force owners to tow the proprietary, pricey fluid party line? Of course! Like warranties, it's another business decision. Whoever said life is fair? Get over it.) Dexron III is formulated with a considerably lower amount of FMs that fit GM transmissions to a "T". For years the Dexron fluids were considered "universal" ATFs, but that simply is no longer true with current ATs. At best, Dexron III may provide marginally harsher shift quality - which for some owners may be preferable. At worst, it can destroy a trannie. (Don't believe that? Run Dexron III, in either conventional or Mobil 1 syn iterations, in a late Mopar AT.)

In any event, running ATF+3 in a transmission marginally specified acceptable to run Dexron III is asking for trouble. Even the ATF+3 bottles specifically state the fluid's neither recommended nor acceptable for Dexron III applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back