Atco Raceway closed without warning despite having events scheduled thru November

My coworker mentioned it, so I said , where is Atco (never heard of it).

He goes in Atco.

Then another coworker told him you’re a ****!

Funny thing is I still don’t know where it is.

It makes me so mad when people do that. They see the dragstrip right there. They know there's a race track there. They know that race tracks make noise. Don't buy a house by a race track if you don't like the noise. It should be that simple.

These days though, it's the developers who sue to have the track closed. They see the land as prime real estate for further expansion so they sue again and again and again until the track owners are buried in legal debt and forced to sell to get out from under it.
There is an airport here that’s been here since 1943. Whenever I need to sell some large furniture I jump on next door and it’s amazing how many people ***** about an airport that’s been here making noise for 80 years. I always get booted for calling these people idiots for buying a house near an airport and complaining about being near an airport (find it almost as annoying as people who live in the desert and complain about how hot it is in the summer) still trying to get rid of that credenza.

My coworker mentioned it, so I said , where is Atco (never heard of it).

He goes in Atco.

Then another coworker told him you’re a ****!

Funny thing is I still don’t know where it is.
Atco was famous for racing year-round. As long as they could get the track surface dry, you could be making passes in December. At least back in the day you could… 😢

Hence the closure. Local tracks a dying breed. Large tracts of real estate ripe for developments.
I remember being able to rent a lift at the local vocational schools. It’s weird that it’s assumed “not possible” today. Although I get no demand either…

I remember being able to rent a lift at the local vocational schools. It’s weird that it’s assumed “not possible” today. Although I get no demand either…
There are DIY garages but even those seem to be few and far between and unsustainable financially. The rate to cover insurance, rent, depreciation, and maintenance is pretty unappetizing. I’ve looked a few times since my single garage barely fits my truck width wise empty and now that it’s become a motorcycle/woodworking shop/man cave I really can only fit the front end in it for oil and coolant (there is an unfinished road in the area I can pull into with stands and a jack to do tire rotations). Figured it would be nice for once to do some involved work without having to contort like I’m a member of cirque de soleil but every place I called was either out of business, pro only, or the rates made doing the job far more expensive than just paying an Indy shop to do the work.

Back