Atco Raceway closed without warning despite having events scheduled thru November

They closed PBIR (the old Moroso) last year. Never to return. There are rumors of another race track, but we all know it does not fit today's climate of NO.

The site is prime real estate, the northern tip of the 114 mile long, Miami/Ft Laud/West Palm Beach city.

Amazon to the rescue! It will be like this, but 4x as large, with 150 bays. As long as the dragstrip itself.

Note, these distribution centers are going up everywhere. I'm convinced they are going to part of the 15 minute city program.

99KFPK0.jpg

3e2fc84b-8fd9-488c-8473-8f2ade6f1f4c-DJI_0315.JPG

I live about a half hour from there. I went in the 70's for the first time and watched Jungle Jim Liberman in his funny car Nova hit 200 MPH
in the quarter mile. Now funny cars do 325 MPH. I've been there a few times recently and watched the Pan American import cars race a couple of years ago. I also went a few times with my neighbor on Test and Tune nights with his Grand National a couple of times. We drove there and would swapped his tires to slicks and he did a few runs and then the intercooler blew open. We patched it with some JB Weld and made it about 15 miles and it blew out again. Drove the rest of the way home blowing boost out the bottom of intercooler. He later was rebuilding the motor and spent a ton of money on it and then he left a shop rag in the intake while he had it off. It sucked it in when he went to start it and destroyed that piston when the valve stuck open. He sold it as is. Now he wishes he had it back.

Cujet,

When I heard Palm Beach was closing, I immediately thought its prime property since it’s flat and surrounded by swampy wetlands. Very easy to build warehouses on that land.

Do you remember Hollywood Speedway located next to the Hollywood Sportatorium ?
I went to the very last race there and was sad when it closed.

All that area in Pembroke Pines is now houses and shopping center.

Last edited:
Cujet,

When I heard Palm Beach was closing, I immediately thought its prime property since it’s flat and surrounded by swampy wetlands. Very easy to build warehouses on that land.

Do you remember Hollywood Speedway located next to the Hollywood Sportatorium ?
I went to the very last race there and was sad when it closed.

All that area in Pembroke Pines is now houses and shopping center.

It makes me so mad when people do that. They see the dragstrip right there. They know there's a race track there. They know that race tracks make noise. Don't buy a house by a race track if you don't like the noise. It should be that simple.

These days though, it's the developers who sue to have the track closed. They see the land as prime real estate for further expansion so they sue again and again and again until the track owners are buried in legal debt and forced to sell to get out from under it.

It makes me so mad when people do that. They see the dragstrip right there. They know there's a race track there. They know that race tracks make noise. Don't buy a house by a race track if you don't like the noise. It should be that simple.
You don’t go to the zoo and stick your hand in the lion’s cage, and then complain to the zookeeper when you pull out a bloody stump…

You don’t go to the zoo and stick your hand in the lion’s cage, and then complain to the zookeeper when you pull out a bloody stump…
Urban sprawl gets us all …
A few weeks ago I was doing training on the west side of Houston - I see a gap in the strip malls, quick stops, and eating joints …
OMG - it’s Shell’s research center on a big parcel of land. I remember when that was in the middle of nothing next to nothing … 😵‍💫

The tracks I spent a lot of my youth at in the NJ/NY/PA area; Flemington, East Windsor, Nazareth, Reading, Pine Brook, Englishtown.
Gone, but certainly not forgotten.

I hate seeing tracks closed down. I recently watched the Lost Speedways series on abandoned tracks. There were a lot of great stories but it was sad seeing what had happened to many of them.

Man I loved that place I’d spend many a Tuesday and Thursday nights there during the summers of my youth. I was there in 1999 for the 4cylinder and rotary day still have the sticker on my wastebasket. Also had the chance to meet Rickey Gadson and Rob Muzzy there numerous times. I even had the opportunity to buy Rickey’s 600cc super sport bike but I was 19-20 college kid working part time. Awesome guy and awesome racer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 6
Isn’t there a strip in Gibbstown?

I never went to Atco.
There is a 5/8 mile dirt track in Bridgeport…aka Bridgeport Speedway my dad and I spent many of nights there watching dirt track Sprint cars, Mods etc… great times good racing and still open for now…🫤

Never heard of a track in Gibbstown however. It may have existed before my time. There was a very unofficial /illegal drag strip in Bridgeport at the foot of the Commodore Barry Bridge which was the old ferry road before the bridge was built in the 1970s. About 2 miles long and straight as an arrow with no houses or crossroads. Now it is very overgrown and many potholes and access is possibly blocked off.

There is a 5/8 mile dirt track in Bridgeport…aka Bridgeport Speedway my dad and I spent many of nights there watching dirt track Sprint cars, Mods etc… great times good racing and still open for now…🫤

Never heard of a track in Gibbstown however. It may have existed before my time. There was a very unofficial /illegal drag strip in Bridgeport at the foot of the Commodore Barry Bridge which was the old ferry road before the bridge was built in the 1970s. About 2 miles long and straight as an arrow with no houses or crossroads. Now it is very overgrown and many potholes and access is possibly blocked off.
That’s it. Bridgeport motorsports park. Happened upon it once by accident. Should really go. That and cowtown rodeo are on my list.

That’s it. Bridgeport motorsports park. Happened upon it once by accident. Should really go. That and cowtown rodeo are on my list.
Haha I live in Woodstown pass Cowtown every day on the way to work. Really is an awesome experience. May-September it is the oldest rodeo east of the Mississippi. I really like this pocket of NJ just wish taxes were lower much lower…

Back