At what point does cold idling outweigh mileage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BertieBlue
I had a look at the specs on that truck.

15 mpg?

lol, I'd have torched it long ago. 15mpg is nuts! How much is petrol over there?

(Its €1.50L) over here

Where i am at regular (10%) is $3.29/g and premium (No ethanol) is $3.79/g.

Originally Posted By: Brent_G
I think fuel dilution is less of a problem than you might think, and it isn't going to do much harm especially in a SBC.

I've been thinking about that. A little gas/ethanol in the oil acts as a pretty good solvent to keep things clean.

The oil never gets up to temp so thickness is not going to be a problem. There would have to be a lot of gas in there to really do much harm in his case. Like a quart. He'd see the oil level coming up or it'd smell like gas.

Remember that gas and ethanol evaporate at room temperature. There is no need to get the engine really hot to flash it off.

15 mpg?

lol, I'd have torched it long ago. 15mpg is nuts! How much is petrol over there?

(Its €1.50L) over here

I actually average 13 in the summer and averaged 11.9 over my past 100 miles due to winter gas and obviously my idling time. Does it add up? Yeah, its expensive. You know whats more expensive though? Buying a whole different vehicle to save at the pump. My next vehicle is gonna be a car because I wouldn't wanna continue paying for fuel like this all over again, but for now the truck runs fine so I'm sticking with it.

What do you drive?

Personally I would use some m1 from Walmart and change oil once a year (if I only drive 2 or 3K a year.) I don't believe your idling/warmups in winter are that big a deal. Most people around here do it, including me.

Originally Posted By: stenerson
Personally I would use some m1 from Walmart and change oil once a year (if I only drive 2 or 3K a year.) I don't believe your idling/warmups in winter are that big a deal. Most people around here do it, including me.

^THIS^

I've changed oil once a year for the last few years now since I dont put much on for mileage,and for myself,I use synthetic as it helps with the cold winter temps.

Keep it simple people,you over-think the simple stuff!

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
I don't know why you would ask this same question on this forum three times in only a few months and yet won't do a UOA.

Everyone's opinion on what to do is just that. Without data for your vehicle and it's use, everything else is just speculation. Now would be the perfect time to do a sample and then you would know. It's only $20.00.

Exactly.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I've long hypothesized that MoS2, though it may not agglomerate in the oil, could smooth surfaces by filling in imperfections, and perhaps help clog leaks too.

The other one is highly improbable, as tolerances in engines are on the thousandths of an inch and the surface active agents are on the order of nanometers. That's roughly 100k times different length scales.

That has been my feeling as well, almost along the lines of Restore. I had it stop a lawn mower smoking for a few years now. I think it fills small imperfections. The only thing that has me a little spooked were the pictures that Trav posted in an engine that sees very little driving. I don't see any problems using it in a daily driver, but cars that sit for weeks on end might have a lot of the product fall out of suspension and could remain in the bottom of the oil pan as Trav's pictures showed. A moly like the one used in Biotech Engine Protectant might be better suited for an application like Trav's. JMO

I ran the calculations on this sometime back.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2407575

It will settle if sitting too long. Whether it matters or not is another question. Didn't see the pics/thread. The stuff flows well in high concentration, and in a diluted form with settling it may not...

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs

15 mpg?

(Its €1.50L) over here

I actually average 13 in the summer and averaged 11.9 over my past 100 miles due to winter gas and obviously my idling time. Does it add up? Yeah, its expensive. You know whats more expensive though? Buying a whole different vehicle to save at the pump. My next vehicle is gonna be a car because I wouldn't wanna continue paying for fuel like this all over again, but for now the truck runs fine so I'm sticking with it.

What do you drive?

BMW 3 Series Diesel
I get +40MP(US)G combined
140 Horses is enough for me

I changed recently due to my old car Failing its Worthyness Test. Over here in Europe, if a bar isn't roadworthy, its illegal. My Fuel Bills have halved and my old car wasn't dreadful to start with. Coupled with the reduction of 75% in the tax, and the fact that i have a much, much better drive, it was really a no-brainer.
The USA really need to get on board with Vehicle controls imho. 6L V6/8 engines have no place in the modern common man's world where natural resources are dwinding. Ok for someone driving into the arse of Alaske, but for Mr Jones driving 5 mins to work, its beyond wastefull.

15 mpg?

(Its €1.50L) over here

What do you drive?

BMW 3 Series Diesel

I changed recently due to my old car Failing its Worthyness Test. Over here in Europe, if a bar isn't roadworthy, its illegal. My Fuel Bills have halved and my old car wasn't dreadful to start with. Coupled with the reduction of 75% in the tax, and the fact that i have a much, much better drive, it was really a no-brainer.
The USA really need to get on board with Vehicle controls imho. 6L V6/8 engines have no place in the modern common man's world where natural resources are dwinding. Ok for someone driving into the arse of Alaske, but for Mr Jones driving 5 mins to work, its beyond wastefull.

In the US, it varies state to state. Some states mandate yearly inspections that go through a safety checklist that I imagine is similar to you Worthiness test. Other states, like mine for instance, have no such inspections, and as long as your vehicle passes it's emissions tests it's good to go. After a vehicle is 20 years old though, you are exempt from emissions. Regarding inspections though, if a police officer pulls you over in my state and happens to see something out of the ordinary that seems to pose a threat to your or other drivers' safety, they can make you go through a state conducted inspection upon request.

Regarding whether or not larger engines still have a place in the world, that's where we disagree. New V8s are putting out more power than ever and getting acceptable fuel economy. Here we have CAFE, or "Corporate Average Fuel Economy". It's a Federal standard in which an automaker must meet pre-determined fuel economy standards of their cars, SUVs, and light trucks in their respective "footprint" classes. They are on a scale that gets more stringent each and every year. It depends on the "footprint", or size class of vehicle, but basically every vehicle in a given size class that each manufacturer builds has to see about a one MPG average improvement every year through 2025. Because of this, even the V8s that our market demands have seen a large increase in efficiency compared to the large engines of yesteryear. For example, Chevy can't afford to have their Camaro SS and V8 equipped Silverados drag their average fuel economy down. But there is a very large demand for those vehicles so they've turned to tech like cylinder deactivation and direct injection to bring the efficiency of these engines up dramatically. Current American V8s aren't the wasteful and simplistic powerplants they used to be. They're as sophisticated and high tech as any.

Now, you may be asking, "Why is there such a demand for V8s in the first place?". The short answer is, "because we can". As you're not aware, gas is much cheaper where I live than it is for you. And back before 2008 it literally used to cost half of what it does today. The US is a nation of big things. We have big families, we own big houses on big pieces of land, we drive to big stores on our big and wide roads to buy our big TVs so we can watch the big game! There's less congestion here than there is in much of Europe and Asia. I daily drive my fullsize pickup truck just fine for example, along side millions of other fullsize pickup truck drivers. A V8 car or truck isn't a necessity. It's a "want", and it's a feasible one. Why, might I ask, did you chose a 3 series diesel over a Golf TDI? Because the BMW handles worlds better than a VW economy car, that's why. I've driven 3 and 5 series', I totally get it. And good going! I bet you work hard and you deserve to drive a BMW over a VW if you have the means. That being said, you did not "need" to own a BMW. A Golf diesel would have gotten you from point A to point B sufficiently. It's the same here with V8s. And most people don't even care and just buy a Honda Civic or a Camry and that's fine too. But this world isn't so black and white and quite frankly living to only ever suit your true "needs" and never indulging in anything would be a sad existence. People like the power of V8s in their trucks when they tow their boat, people like the power of V8s in their Mustangs when they wanna feel the wind in their hair, hear the noises, and put a smile on their face. Just like you'd rather look at your BMW than a Ford Fiesta.

On to diesel. Diesel in the US is taxed at a higher rate than gasoline, making is substantially more expensive than gas. Sure, you get better fuel economy, but what good does that do if you have to pay more for the fuel in the first place? On top of that, our diesel cars are much more expensive than their gas powered counterparts. Often times the diesel engine must be paired with a leather interior, navigation, etc which drives up the price too. For instance, here a base model VW Jetta has a starting price of $16,895. Want the diesel? Starts at $21,295. If you're getting a diesel to save money in the US, think again. And you don't even want to know about trucks... 2014 Chevy Silverado 2500HD. 6.0 gas V8 as standard. Want the Duramax diesel? That engine is gonna cost you an extra $7,195. Oh, and it requires a heavier duty transmission as well that's gonna run you back an additional $1,200. Because of our highly taxed diesel and cost of entry into buying a diesel vehicle in the first place, they just don't make as much sense for us. There's no wonder diesel sales capture such a small fragment of the market here in the US.

Gimme a BIG V8, if for nothing else to [censored] off the rest of the world...

Oh wait I have six of them from 4.6L up to 7.0L, I buy the gas and I could give a [censored] what the remainder of the world thinks...

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Gimme a BIG V8, if for nothing else to [censored] off the rest of the world...

Oh wait I have six of them from 4.6L up to 7.0L, I buy the gas and I could give a [censored] what the remainder of the world thinks...

This guy gets it.
cool.gif

Also regarding how popular small engines are in Europe, keep in mind that here in the US we don't pay higher taxes on larger displacement engines like they do. I know in much of the EU they have different tax brackets, for example a 1.4 liter VW Polo hatch is taxed less than a larger car with say a 3.0 V6 would be and a 5.7 V8 would be even higher still. No such thing on this side of the pond. So BertieBlue, when I say that it's feasible for us to own these vehicles like Dodge Challengers and pickups, I mean it. In most cases it's not that Europeans have some natural hatred of V8 powered and/or larger cars, it's that under their structure it isn't affordable enough to own them.

15 mpg?

(Its €1.50L) over here

What do you drive?

BMW 3 Series Diesel

You can't be serious.
Apparently your uninformed so I'll spell it out for you simply.
In today's modern world many automakers make engines with cylinder deactivation,so those "big" V8's shut off 4 cylinders when the power isn't needed.
Is that "on board" enough for you?
Many automakers also have cylinder de-activation on their 6 cylinder engines as well in order to conserve fuel.
And you might be happy having someone dictate what you can and can't buy and if that's what its like where you live,and you're "on board" with it then I'll have my kids say a prayer for you tonight because if you've accepted that then only God can save you.
North American vehicle controls are just fine. If you don't like it then be happy you live where decisions are already made for you and no,you can't buy that.
Your entire post is utter garbage. And I'm jumping for joy knowing you're in nanny state central and I'm over here,free to buy whatever gas guzzling monster V8 that wilts flowers as I drive by.
I wrote today that I sometimes read posts here that floor me with the absurdity of their content and you sir WIN.
And by win I certainly don't mean winning.

Over here in Europe, if a bar isn't roadworthy, its illegal.

Over here, if a car isn't legal, we fix it and keep on trucking.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

15 mpg?

(Its €1.50L) over here

What do you drive?

BMW 3 Series Diesel

You can't be serious.
Apparently your uninformed so I'll spell it out for you simply.
In today's modern world many automakers make engines with cylinder deactivation,so those "big" V8's shut off 4 cylinders when the power isn't needed.
Is that "on board" enough for you?
Many automakers also have cylinder de-activation on their 6 cylinder engines as well in order to conserve fuel.
And you might be happy having someone dictate what you can and can't buy and if that's what its like where you live,and you're "on board" with it then I'll have my kids say a prayer for you tonight because if you've accepted that then only God can save you.
North American vehicle controls are just fine. If you don't like it then be happy you live where decisions are already made for you and no,you can't buy that.
Your entire post is utter garbage. And I'm jumping for joy knowing you're in nanny state central and I'm over here,free to buy whatever gas guzzling monster V8 that wilts flowers as I drive by.
I wrote today that I sometimes read posts here that floor me with the absurdity of their content and you sir WIN.
And by win I certainly don't mean winning.

Erm.

Its not garbage really. You and your cheesy mate above don't like it, but thats all.
You both have an utter disregard for the envornment and the resources it affords you, that much is clear.

And you are being silly with the cylinder deactivation excuse. Its still a V8, still does next to nothing MPG under acceleration/oad and still weighs about the same as a small bus. I don't think the "We like things BIG, F*uck you world lol" attitude is common place in the US anymore, in that regard, you are outing yourself as clinging onto the outdated "Living the dream" ideology of yesteryear. I'm no hippy btw, but i do wan't to have a planet to live on which isn't ruined by the ignorance and selfishness of others. In europe, we are working towards a more sustainable energy future. One where we don't (without undue care and abandon) massacre the remaining resources we have. In part, yes, we are responcible adults, but also we are looking for security in the future. Whilst nations like yourself struggle to wean its citizens of your ilk off "BIG" stuff so that it can afford to give its citizens a proper standard of living, The rest of the world will have long since moved on, Recyling much, using less, re-using where available and ultimatly, being less and less dependant on the ever decreasing oil which is coming out of the ground

"My 22 year old V8 monster truck is a responsible and sensible vehicle to travel 2 miles to work in"

lol.

For the record, i think that attitude/approach is becoming the minority in the US.
The US firms i work for in the EU have a much, much more balanced view.

Hey bertieblue.

First off I'm Canadian,not American.
Secondly my charger is my family sedan. It carries my 2 kids to all their activities and so on.
I live in a small farming town so if I am driving anywhere it's to the city which is around 60kms away.
Now your post above is absolute gold. I laughed so hard I nearly pee'd. Thanks for that great bit of humour.
Now if you'd like to have a serious conversation about consumption of fossil fuels and my consumption if them I'd be glad to have it.
Just because I CHOSE to drive an automobile that is a dream to drive doesn't mean I'm some kind of backwards redneck.
You can have your society that restricts every potential choice you make,and I'll breathe deep knowing on this side of the pond I don't have big brother making those choices for me.

We are drifting off into politics and thats a story for a different forum.

The Charger is a nice car! (dukes of hazard?)

I couldn't afford the petrol to drive one myself
frown.gif

We are drifting off into politics and thats a story for a different forum.

The Charger is a nice car! (dukes of hazard?)

I couldn't afford the petrol to drive one myself
frown.gif

To be honest it's not that hard in fuel.
I've been in construction all my life so I always had a truck. Then about 6-7 years ago I got into mustangs again which meant I had a summer car and winter truck.
Fast forward to today and my mustangs were fine when the kids were small however they've grown and it's no longer possible to cart them around in my toys anymore.
So last fall I went shopping. I wanted a vehicle that would make me happy and will fulfil my families needs.
The car has the DVD player which was a gift from God. I can't recall the last time I heard "are we there yet". It's leather so easy to clean when the inevitable spill occurs.
At 70mph with calm winds and flattish ground I've gotten up to 32 mpg,with premium mixed with my home brew tc-w3 and mos2 in the oil. I set cruise and enjoy the ride.
It usually hovers around 30mpg though on the highway once any weather and traffic is considered,which is absolutely stellar in my eyes.
My trucks average 15mpg which is absolutely painful.
My charger isn't a 5 speed mustang but I am amazed at what it's capable of. It's faster top speed and rides amazingly at those high speeds.
I long for the autobahn.

Heh, My kids chose my car! I was looking for something boring, frugal and well, a bit :yawn: (I've begun to hate driving somewhat) But whilst out shopping, the kids aw the BMW, fell in love with it (it does look the dogs in fairness) and well, i didn't have much say in it from then on lol. There are very, very few V engined cars here. Its all 4 pots, but the the thing goes like stink anyway! My Old man had a Jag V12 (5.3L?) and that would sit at 150mph all day. YOu wouldn't get very far on a tank of petrol obviously, but it was a fun ride. Alas, it was killed arguing with a lampost
frown.gif
Wonderful machine. We use the 7 seater for the Kids. Its excellent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back